Icon Lighting (MK and Epcot)

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
First off, the castle at MK is getting the lights...

LIFLW-100_0265.JPG

Full size: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1179349/100_0265.JPG

And it's kinda obvious..

ELDXQ-100_0267.JPG

Full size: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1179349/100_0267.JPG

And i guess it blends..

URSCF-100_0266.JPG

Full size: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1179349/100_0266.JPG

Anywho, over to Epcot. Can't get the pics to upload, but - how is SSE lit?

I know about the many lights over the entrance and on the innoventions buildings. All relatively small lights though, just strong.

There are giant lights, scoops, pointed at SSE from over the main entrance too though. I assumed they lit it, but I noticed the scoops were off while it was dark out and SSE was fully lit. There are 3 on the right side of entrance (pink, amber, purple) and 4 on the left (dunno the color order).

So are they just not on? Were they ever used for the current scheme? If they were accidentally out, SSE would of look noticeably different, no? And they're not new, they've been there a long time. What's the story?

They're not old/broken looking either. They can only be used for SSE, as they're pointed right at it, there's nothing else for them to aim at.

They can't be the Wand's light, because the ones on the right wouldn't reach it from the extreme angle (SSE would block them).

So, ideas? And that's it for the Icon Lighting update :)

Captain Hank

Ha, in the third pic, if you view it at full size, ther are two random guys up there, presumably working on setting up the lights.

WDWRLD

As far as what I have seen so far the lights on the castle look like crap. At night it might look great but at daytime they look very sloppy. They might want to get clark on the phone.......

brkgnews

As far as what I have seen so far the lights on the castle look like crap. At night it might look great but at daytime they look very sloppy. They might want to get clark on the phone.......
There are cameras EVERYWHERE... it's actually kind of fun to try to spot them. And the castle makes sense, since it's the tallest thing in the park.

WDWFigment

First off, the castle at MK is getting the lights...

LIFLW-100_0265.JPG

Full size: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1179349/100_0265.JPG

And it's kinda obvious..

ELDXQ-100_0267.JPG

Full size: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1179349/100_0267.JPG

The middle turret (is that what they're called?) of the castle (second pic) is really the only thing that sticks out if you view the first pic full size. If that's all the worse it looks during the day, I'm willing to make the 'sacrifice' for how amazing it (should) look at night.

SirNim

Nice photos; that's a heavy net of lights around the turrets!

And brkgnews—kudos, nice avatar. I'll throw up the WF39 avatar I made a year and a half ago so as to create the thematic bridge.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
:ROFLOL:

Clark W. Griswold is the first person I thought of when I saw the lights on the castle - Classic!!

I cant wait to see it lit at night..... I'm tellin ya... Cindy's Castle is gonna turn into Liberace's Castle at dusk. :lol::lookaroun

Rob562

Well, I think it looks a little icky at the moment, but I'm withholding final judgement until it's totally done.
By the looks of it, they're still installing them. Perhaps after they're all hung and tested, they'll go back up and "form fit" the netting to the towers. Then it won't look as obtrusive.

-Rob

Rob562

Oh, and as for the lighting on Spaceship Earth, I marked up this photo from Live Local.

SSELighting.jpg

From what I can tell there's 8 locations for main geosphere lighting. I've marked those in purple. And the three locations of what I believe are lights specifically for the wand I marked in teal.

There are multiple lights at each location to facilitate the changing colors. The past few times I've been, I believe I've seen some of the ones over the turnstiles on, but obviously not all of them because SSE has been stuck in one color scheme for the past 8 years. Even if for some reason the lights over the entrance were all out, you'd still get some front lighting from the buildings on either side of the courtyard.

-Rob

brkgnews

Nice photos; that's a heavy net of lights around the turrets!

And brkgnews—kudos, nice avatar. I'll throw up the WF39 avatar I made a year and a half ago so as to create the thematic bridge.
Awesome avatar. Now we should just do like the fair commission did and create mandatory architectural guidelines for avatars. :lookaroun

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread. :D The lit-up photos look great! Too bad I won't be able to see it in person this year. Oh well, I'll live vicariously through others' trip reports. :lol:

The middle turret (is that what they're called?) of the castle (second pic) is really the only thing that sticks out if you view the first pic full size. If that's all the worse it looks during the day, I'm willing to make the 'sacrifice' for how amazing it (should) look at night.

I agree, the middle one looks to be the most noticeable and I'd be willing to sacrifice that to get some beautiful shots of the xmas lighting at night!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom