I was wrong...about what Disney's target market is...

Sadiebird

I dont think Disney would be too keen on having a radition risk in the parks.

I assume you're referring to me. :)

I think I'm exactly who they want in the parks. We never leave property, go to the parks every single day of our trip, and plan the next one within 6 months of returning home from our trip. We're cash cows.

Jimmy Thick

Disney's target market is anyone who can afford to go there.

Thats pretty much anyones target market in the process of offering a product for legal tender.

Jimmy Thick- Its not complicated.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I assume you're referring to me. :)

I think I'm exactly who they want in the parks. We never leave property, go to the parks every single day of our trip, and plan the next one within 6 months of returning home from our trip. We're cash cows.

The nuclear family.................

Walt Disney1955

All around I still think Disney caters to everyone. The commercials lure the kids more than anything. But does the ability to tour Epcot and wine tasting cater to children or adults? I know what I think. There is still and always will be something for everyone down there

Erika

A while ago, I said that Disney's target market for WDW now seems to be small children and the parents just get dragged along these days, instead of where in the past, the parks were designed for all ages to enjoy (they were edgier)

I will admit, I was wrong. :zipit:

Disney's target market isn't smaller kids....it's their Mothers.

It should have been quite clear to me but I didn't see it, even after visiting a certain other DISney message board for a long time and realizing what 90% of them are...

...even after Disney came up with their own "Moms Panel" some time ago...

...then I started to think about Johnny Depp, do you think that he's a big Disney item because of the little wannbe pirates? Yes, but not as much of the mothers who drool over him.

Of course there's also the princesses, yes, the little girls want to dress up, but the mothers are the ones spending tons of money to make sure their daughters look perfect.

DDP, DME, etc. are all for the mothers to worry less about things, they're the ones who plan fervently before trips.

I am not saying this is a bad thing by itself, it's just an observation.

Thoughts?

WHAT!? I have no idea what you are talking about. Pay no attention to my stack of Disney dollars, or my son's Baby Jack Jack Halloween costume from a few months ago, or recently made BBB reservations, or the Disneyland countdown calendar I made for my daughter, or her upcoming Princess Tiana birthday party :lol:

I'm the first to admit that I was a Disney fan long before I was a mom... but now I'm a mom, and a sucker. :ROFLOL: :king:

erstwo

I think you are absolutely right. Disney targets young mothers as does any other "family oriented" business - if they're smart.

I used to work for a "family oriented" radio station. Their target audience was a young, married mother of 2 aged 26, who drove a mid size SUV (NO JOKE,) was a church attender and went to Starbucks (something like) 2 times a week. They even had names for her kids - I can't remember them exactly - Madison and Jackson...... or something along those lines.

I KID YOU NOT.

These ad execs know what they are doing. They aim for that one young mother and manage to pull in a HUGE umbrella of people - from the 5 year old kids to the 85 year old grandparents. Why? I have no idea......

Krack2

This thread is awesome because it's one part "women kind of agreeing, but not sure why" and one part "men definitely agreeing, but too afraid to explain why to the women". It's a popcorn eater's dream.

EpcoTim

Of course, anyone who will forgo quality for price is in Disney's marketing crosshairs. Thats why generic merch exists, they can keep the same profit margin, at a much lower cost.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
WHAT!? I have no idea what you are talking about. Pay no attention to my stack of Disney dollars, or my son's Baby Jack Jack Halloween costume from a few months ago, or recently made BBB reservations, or the Disneyland countdown calendar I made for my daughter, or her upcoming Princess Tiana birthday party :lol:

I'm the first to admit that I was a Disney fan long before I was a mom... but now I'm a mom, and a sucker. :ROFLOL: :king:

Things that make you go mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Philo

I think this depends on your perspective.

Obviously Disney parks exist for the family experience and I don't think that will ever change but they do know which strings to pull to get people through the door.

Make the kids want to go and the parents will want to take them for a dream location - you can even skip the kids all together and just tell the parents directly as 99% will want to take their kids to WDW.

However, when we visit (just my wife and I) it doesn't feel like they are targeting a particular market. The whole thing feels like it's there to entertain me and that's why I love it.

Sadiebird

I hear ya sister! :wave:

I used to work for a "family oriented" radio station. Their target audience was a young, married mother of 2 aged 26, who drove a mid size SUV (NO JOKE,) was a church attender and went to Starbucks (something like) 2 times a week. They even had names for her kids - I can't remember them exactly - Madison and Jackson...... or something along those lines.

I KID YOU NOT.

Ok, subtract one child and the visits to Starbuck's because I can't afford it and this is me. If I had had a baby girl instead of a boy, I would have named her Madison. (Splash is my favorite movie :)).

This thread is awesome because it's one part "women kind of agreeing, but not sure why" and one part "men definitely agreeing, but too afraid to explain why to the women". It's a popcorn eater's dream.

Hilarious! :ROFLOL:

fosse76

I think Chis isn't all that 'off' with the observations ... kids don't spend money ... or, more accurately, don't earn the money they spend.

The Mommy Brigade is powerful ... and scary.

I agree. Even Six Flags caught on to this. They did an informal study and found that it was the mother who makes the decision on whether or not to go. And based on many of the posts here, it seems to be that way with regards to Disney as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom