I was wrong...about what Disney's target market is...

Sadiebird

Now the next question is, WHY are choosing to do this with our money? They know we're going to choose WDW as our vacation destination, some of us repeatedly. I think we're filling a void. I think as soon as we enter into adulthood, all we want to do is just go back in time and relive our youth.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
In a rare moment of seriousness, I have to say had it not been for the wedding of No1 child I would not be going to WDW this year. Im, dare I say, bored, with their offerings, or lack of. Next year, I will eventually make my much delayed trip to Disneyland, though that will form a much smaller part of the trip than a Florida visit, and no amount of marketing will change that.

Though one thing is, those of us of non US residence tend not to have the Mouse as cultural icon as part of our make up so dont generally identify with Disney in that way. A bit like coke, except of course Pepsi is better

Sadiebird

Just experienced the same kind of marketing today. We saw Valentine's Day in the theatre and the first trailer was for that new animated Dragon movie. In this case, Mom's going out for a date with their hubbies are being marketed a movie to take their kids to.

CaptainMichael

A while ago, I said that Disney's target market for WDW now seems to be small children and the parents just get dragged along these days, instead of where in the past, the parks were designed for all ages to enjoy (they were edgier)

I will admit, I was wrong. :zipit:

Disney's target market isn't smaller kids....it's their Mothers.

It should have been quite clear to me but I didn't see it, even after visiting a certain other DISney message board for a long time and realizing what 90% of them are...

...even after Disney came up with their own "Moms Panel" some time ago...

...then I started to think about Johnny Depp, do you think that he's a big Disney item because of the little wannbe pirates? Yes, but not as much of the mothers who drool over him.

Of course there's also the princesses, yes, the little girls want to dress up, but the mothers are the ones spending tons of money to make sure their daughters look perfect.

DDP, DME, etc. are all for the mothers to worry less about things, they're the ones who plan fervently before trips.

I am not saying this is a bad thing by itself, it's just an observation.

Thoughts?
I didn't think of it this way, but I think you're on to something here. It makes sense.

I think you're over-thinking this.

Disney's target market is anybody who will spend money on all things Disney! :lol:
Well, aren't you sort of like the traditional "mom figure" in this scenario? Minus the Johnny Depp drooling of course.

Sweatshirt Moms. It's true.
Worse than the Sith.

I think Chis isn't all that 'off' with the observations ... kids don't spend money ... or, more accurately, don't earn the money they spend.

The Mommy Brigade is powerful ... and scary.
And they don't like nightclubs either. I can see how more shopping and Landry dining is attractive to them.

EPCOT Explorer

I didn't think of it this way, but I think you're on to something here. It makes sense.

Well, aren't you sort of like the traditional "mom figure" in this scenario? Minus the Johnny Depp drooling of course.

Worse than the Sith.

And they don't like nightclubs either. I can see how more shopping and Landry dining is attractive to them.

al100907a.jpg

DeathEaters of Mediocrity
:lookaroun

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE! And I'm a Mom myself - although Disney fan before I was a Mom.

I can also tell you why we vacation there all the time - because as experience Disney tourist we know there is something there for the whole family. Characters and Shows for the little ones, yummy resturants and great spas for mommy; art and boat rentals for Dad - and of course sunshine and warm weather for all of us. We really can do something for everyone on our trip.

There were 2 commercials I remember seeing as a young adult that I LOVED that were Disney. The first one was the 2 kids up late at night talking about their upcoming trip, mom comes in and the little boy says "We're to excited to sleep!" Mom goes back to bed lays down next to husband who's eyes are closed and she says, "Are you awake" and he says "Yes I'm to excited to sleep." LOVE IT!

The 2nd was the woman in the elevator with her 5 or 6 year old daughter who is going on and on about their Disney cruise which was a year ago. She's holding a baby who the daughter proceeds to announce is mom and dads "Little souvenier!" The mom embarassed says, "Yes we all had a great time..." I laugh now thinking about it.

~Amanda

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom