I thought the sky liner was built to minimize stops.

Jon81uk

And THAT is the problem. It should have been a priority.

Furthermore look at the map. A small added leg would have addressed this issue. Compared to the whole project that leg would have been a very short add on.

But park-hopping transport isn't a priority, resort transport is. People in hotel rooms make money, people moving parks don't.

HongKongFu

But park-hopping transport isn't a priority, resort transport is. People in hotel rooms make money, people moving parks don't.

What you wrote above counts but what I write counts, too.

Given: guests park hop in big numbers. .....just a fact of life within the WDW paradigm.

Now that that is completely understood Disney should have created something that would have MINIMIZED the travel time. Guests win, Disney wins, we all win

The added leg on the system would have corrected so much and cost reletively so little...........this is just too obvious.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
What you wrote above counts but what I write counts, too.

Given: guests park hop in big numbers. .....just a fact of life within the WDW paradigm.

Now that that is completely understood Disney should have created something that would have MINIMIZED the travel time. Guests win, Disney wins, we all win

The added leg on the system would have corrected so much and cost reletively so little...........this is just too obvious.

Maybe they want you to take the 45 minute boat trip instead

nickys

Premium Member
And THAT is the problem. It should have been a priority.

Furthermore look at the map. A small added leg would have addressed this issue. Compared to the whole project that leg would have been a very short add on.

What extra leg? DHS direct to Epcot? Where the entire route is over water, so an evacuation would cause all boat and walking transport routes between the two parks to be closed. Doesn’t seem like good business practice to me. They would have to draft in buses to get the BW, BC, YC, Swan and Dolphin guests to and from both parks whilst trying to evacuate the cabins over almost a mile of water.

HongKongFu

What extra leg? DHS direct to Epcot? Where the entire route is over water, so an evacuation would cause all boat and walking transport routes between the two parks to be closed.

Crazy talk, try again

Look at the map/routing. You do not know where you speak..... Or should I say write.

Disone

I was invited by a cast friend to go ride them during a preview last week. If the sun is up and you're in a gondola that doesn't have a screened Disney scene on it, it gets hot very very quickly and becomes uncomfortable fast. If it does have a screened print it gets hot more slowly, but if you're there for more than a minute or two it gets very hot as well. If the wind is blowing while they're stopped there is air circulation and the vents are positioned to keep the air moving and it's really not that unpleasant. If the wind isn't blowing while stopped though it does get stuffy and hot fast. Is it better than a stopped monorail in August? Definitely. As long as they keep them moving they aren't bad at all. It doesn't seem like they used cabins with any sort of UV blocker, but I could be mistaken about that.
You do know it's not the screening that is keeping the gondola cooler. It's the fact that it's not glass and that there's a special reflective tint on the Gondola regardless of whether it is screened or not. I question whether or not you actually rode them for you to make a statement that the non screen gondolas are much hotter than the screened-in gondolas. Rather I think you're letting your mind play tricks on you and you've predetermined when you go into the gondola that you are going to feel the heat or not going to feel the heat based on a visual factor that actually has limited to no effect on internal temperature.

Disone

They did. Friendship boat from Epcot to Hollywood Studios, 28 minutes with one departure every 15 to 20 minutes.

Sky liner: Epcot to Hollywood Studios in 18-minutes with continuous boarding.

So what if you have to change at the Caribbean. This isn't any different than having to change monorails at the TTC.

While you can park hop, Walt Disney World Transportation system is mostly design for resort to theme park Transportation. Yes there are Park hopping options but typically they are not anything more than a bus.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
You do know it's not the screening that is keeping the gondola cooler. It's the fact that it's not glass and that there's a special reflective tint on the Gondola regardless of whether it is screened or not. I question whether or not you actually rode them for you to make a statement that the non screen gondolas are much hotter than the screened-in gondolas. Rather I think you're letting your mind play tricks on you and you've predetermined when you go into the gondola that you are going to feel the heat or not going to feel the heat based on a visual factor that actually has limited to no effect on internal temperature.

Question it all you want, doesn't matter what you think as I certainly did ride them. We boarded at HS during one of the cast event days along with another party who rode with us, and we switched at the transfer station multiple times to ride other lines. The sun was absolutely blocked less by the non-screened gondola and it certainly did get hotter faster. I wasn't even the first person to notice, the other party that rode with us mentioned it. I had been enjoying that I could take pictures since it was very difficult to take them on the screened gondolas.

HongKongFu

They did(minimize travel time). Friendship boat from Epcot to Hollywood Studios, 28 minutes with one departure every 15 to 20 minutes.

3 boat stops! You call stopping 3 times minimizing?! I don't.

How can 3 stops be a meaningful attempt at trying to keep travel times down. A meaningful attempt would be one boat line dedicated park- to-park just like how the monorail has a resort line with 5 stops/stations and a direct line with 2 stops. The 2 station circuit was created to minimize travel time for non MK resort guests.

Disone

3 boat stops! You call stopping 3 times minimizing?! I don't.

How can 3 stops be a meaningful attempt at trying to keep travel times down. A meaningful attempt would be one boat line dedicated park- to-park just like how the monorail has a resort line with 5 stops/stations and a direct line with 2 stops. The 2 station circuit was created to minimize travel time for non MK resort guests.
No. I called adding the Skyliner minimizing travel time. Also.... To my knowledge the boat has had three stops for a very long time now. That is not new.

Disone

Question it all you want, doesn't matter what you think as I certainly did ride them. We boarded at HS during one of the cast event days along with another party who rode with us, and we switched at the transfer station multiple times to ride other lines. The sun was absolutely blocked less by the non-screened gondola and it certainly did get hotter faster. I wasn't even the first person to notice, the other party that rode with us mentioned it. I had been enjoying that I could take pictures since it was very difficult to take them on the screened gondolas.
I do question. It is a fact, that the gondolas are heat resistant without the screens applied to them. The screens are not the heat-resistant part. So my friend I say to you, you can believe what you want, but I doubt a thermostat is going to confirm your belief.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I do question. It is a fact, that the gondolas are heat resistant without the screens applied to them. The screens are not the heat-resistant part. So my friend I say to you, you can believe what you want, but I doubt a thermostat is going to confirm your belief.

I don't think I said that they weren't heat resistant. Heat resistant doesn't mean "blocks 100%". The screens block a significant amount of sunlight, a lot more than any tint would alone. So much so that they also significantly obstruct the view making it impossible to get pictures except out the door windows. If you don't know that perhaps you've not been on them yourself.

Incomudro

I don't think I said that they weren't heat resistant. Heat resistant doesn't mean "blocks 100%". The screens block a significant amount of sunlight, a lot more than any tint would alone. So much so that they also significantly obstruct the view making it impossible to get pictures except out the door windows. If you don't know that perhaps you've not been on them yourself.

This makes sense.
Many tints have various uv reducing capabilities, and Disney makes it sound as though they went that route - not merely a dark glass route.
But adhering a wrap over the glass that's going to shade the cabin even more, is likely to reduce temperatures beyond that of window tinting alone.

Last edited:

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I do not believe the Skyliner exists. I think this is all an elaborate hoax.

Disone

The obstruction of view has been well-documented. The change in temperature between the two has not because sunlight does not equal heat. Again it's in your head. Regarding having been on them or not please see the pictures. I've been on them. :)
20191001_193420.jpg
20190923_182513.jpg

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
The change in temperature between the two has not because sunlight does not equal heat. Again it's in your head.

Uh-huh, suuure. :rolleyes: The earth is also flat, right? Those probably aren't even your pictures. I am enjoying how hard you're trying to discredit one small part of my experience. Quite the Disney cheerleader you are. :joyfull:

Last edited:

HongKongFu

. To my knowledge the boat has had three stops for a very long time now. That is not new.

Correct.....3 stops has been around for years.

And I'm a bit puzzled as to what that has to do with anything about minimizing travel times. Whether it has been operating with 3 stops since 1995 or just started last week has nothing to do with the topic of excessive
time travels.

Disone

Uh-huh, suuure. :rolleyes: The earth is also flat, right? Those probably aren't even your pictures. I am enjoying how hard you're trying to discredit one small part of my experience. Quite the Disney cheerleader you are. :joyfull:

But its true sir. You can put a tint on glass that allows the light to pass but not the heat. Its used commonly on windows now and I assume these gondolas. Not that it matters now.... The system literally crashed today:(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom