I think I might be done with WDW.

backinaction

I think a lot of the old designs for theming that you see in MK/Disneyland and the WS in Epcot are superior to what you get today and I think some of the best rides are older ones like Space and Splash Mountain, The Great Movie Ride, and Peter Pan's flight. But there's been plenty of good new stuff. Even though the increased used of IP's is a bit annoying, it doesn't stop you from making a good ride. I wasn't excited about Avatarland at all, but FoP at Animal Kingdom is still probably the best ride at all the parks.

Also, I think today the parks and Disney Imagineering are in much better shape than in the Pressler era, where we got crap like Dinoland USA and the sorry state of California Adventure when it opened.
Agreed. Disney gets a lot of stuff wrong now but they still score a slam dunk once and awhile. FOP is a life changing ride.

backinaction

I remember how exciting wandering around the WOL pavilion was as a kid. Going on body wars and exploring all the cool areas of the pavillion like the bikes and the optical illusions area was breathtaking. I also remember how fun going on horizons and imagination was. Seems like DIsney has lost its way when it comes to creating areas like that. I feel like they aren't motivated to create experience like that anymore because the parks stay so crowded year round now. If people are coming in mass anyways, why try and create life changing areas of the parks when people will pay top dollar for way less.

OneofThree

I can pretty much guarantee two things:

1-Disney knows exactly what sentiments and opinions are being expressed online. This sort of information is absolute gold in a paradigm where marketing has become so reliant upon broad and rapid consumer feedback.

2-Disney is obviously able to target a segment(s) which in general, do not share the perspective in question.

NickMaio

Yes, this is why it's a great thing to complain on these forums because if a company is worth their salt they will have their interns patrolling the forums and internet and sending our complaints and suggestions upstairs.
That is exactly what is happening - -- however, instead of interns they have marketing people doing this.

MuteSuperstar

Just looking at wait times (from home) on MDE today....on a Sunday in February Toy Story Mania shows 160 min wait. Gee that third track really helped. Splash 160, Space 130, Soarin 110, Test Track 105....we can speculate about the reasons all we want, but for me personally this kind of stuff is the main reason I haven't been in 4 years and don't know when I'll go back.

Edit: Forgot about President's Day...but my point still stands. These wait times aren't too unusual now.

_caleb

I remember how exciting wandering around the WOL pavilion was as a kid. Going on body wars and exploring all the cool areas of the pavillion like the bikes and the optical illusions area was breathtaking. I also remember how fun going on horizons and imagination was. Seems like DIsney has lost its way when it comes to creating areas like that. I feel like they aren't motivated to create experience like that anymore because the parks stay so crowded year round now. If people are coming in mass anyways, why try and create life changing areas of the parks when people will pay top dollar for way less.
Let’s put ourselves in Disney’s shoes. The stuff you mention was all before the internet. Things like the optical illusion stations and all the edutainment stuff is less exciting to kids now than it used to be. I understand why you’d miss the way things were, but advances in technology have made it very difficult for Disney to keep up. The challenge now, as you mention, is to create areas of the parks that are so awesome people momentarily forget about Instagram and let themselves be totally present so that some memories can be made!

This is why I’m really excited about the Star Wars hotel project. I think these totally immersive places have a much higher chance of bringing people into the present. Sure, there will still be selfies and Tweets, but if you’ve ever done an escape room, you understand how engaging the interactivity can be.

It’s okay to be done with WDW for now. Just know that Disney (and others) are working hard to compete for people’s attention and affection (and, of course, the dollars that can bring!) The in-between stages aren’t as fun, but things are changing.

Elizabeth Swann

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Just looking at wait times (from home) on MDE today....on a Sunday in February Toy Story Mania shows 160 min wait. Gee that third track really helped. Splash 160, Space 130, Soarin 110, Test Track 105....we can speculate about the reasons all we want, but for me personally this kind of stuff is the main reason I haven't been in 4 years and don't know when I'll go back.

Edit: Forgot about President's Day...but my point still stands. These wait times aren't too unusual now.

Isn't Toy Story Mania down to one track because of construction?

I don't understand the comparisons to Universal. We went for 2 days in October before heading to Disney. My park tickets cost more then my disney tickets cost, the wait times were much higher at Universal then Disney. Crowds were the same, food was not as good, customer service was not as good. Don't get me wrong, we had a great time and we're hoping to do a couple more days this year, if we can, but I don't understand when I hear people compare the two and say that Disney should look to Universal. They're both great fun places, but they are both luxury items and priced that way.

Im one of those people who has only been to WDW 3 times and I cannot afford to go very often. It brings me happiness and I look forward to going again someday so it gets really hard reading about people who have the ability to go several times a year complain.

Constructive criticism is great. Knowing what things to avoid is great. I got great tips on here before our trip last year (learning Ohana has a kids menu they don't advertise was a god send), but mostly what I read is just plain complaining and it gets old, Disney is a business that needs and wants to fill its parks, they do not want "slow" times because it makes you happy like back in the good ole days. Please if you don't enjoy Disney, go somewhere else, its a big world, lots to see and do!

Dutch Inn '76

Awesome! I hope a few more of you complainers will decide to not go anymore as well! Maybe it'll balance out the ever increasing crowds a bit for us.

To the original issue: yes, WDW has constantly been changing since the first time I went in 1976. They've taken a few steps back over the years, but on balance it's a better place now than it was then. Because they're human, they're bound to take a misstep every now and then - but I'm sure that twenty years from now WDW will be better than ever.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wonder if people will ever live in the present.

Accept what is, or.. choose not to partake in something that no longer fits your wants.
Crying over spilled milk never made much sense to me though.

Imagine how freeing it will be when someday you just cut ties or make peace. Choose one, see what happens. :)

There's a term for those that live in the present with no regard for the future:

"Not incredibly bright"

joejccva71

Wow did not know that. Would certainly help to explain a nearly 3 hour wait. My goodness what a sad mess that park is right now.

It's not a "sad mess" lol. They're getting ready for TSL to open which is the reason. If you're looking for someone to blame about the increase wait times, blame Rohde for creating such a wonderful Pandora attraction. Flight of Passage is the reason the wait times are insane right now. It doesn't just affect AK, it affects ALL the parks. All wait times are increased. FoP is literally the best ride not just in Disney World but Universal as well. It's draw is huge. It's not even a year old yet and word is out.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I guess it boils down to if you think theme makes something better. For me, it does. Its not losing Maelstrom, its losing it for an IP that was shoe horned in. The decision behind it had nothing to do with making the parks better, but cashing in as quickly as possible. Did I like frozen? Meh it was average for me. Do I believe it deserves something a whole lot better than it got? Heck yea I do.

I just went on it for the second time the other day after being on it just after opening...

It's honestly no more enjoyable than maelstrom...so it's really a wash other than a big line to suck up people...which seems to be the whole point.

Didn't need to use an expansion pad to build a meet and greet for a movie that has basically fallen in line with all the other princess movies though...that's a waste. A better food location would have been a lot better long term.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom