I sure hope SOMETHING is announced next weekend!

Lee

Adventurer
Damn I was thinking he was there for a final green light. Oh well, do you know why he was there after just being in town?

Yes, it's been much discussed in other threads.
(I don't want to bring it up here and derail this perfectly good thread.)

celluloid

What's crazy to me, is that people pay to go and be a member of these press conferences. I'm a huge Disney fan, but paying to have them tell me about something that may or may not happen is nuts. It reminds me of an SNL skit from years back, when William Shatner hosted, they were at a Star Trek convention and people were wearing Spock ears.....and he looked at them and said, "do you people not have lives?".....as much as I love the parks, I'm not going to pay them anymore money to tell me about "upgrading fantastic". I work in the media....and press events are exactly that....for the press. And with the Internet and sites like this, they are reported on within minutes. Why would you pay to stand there and listen to a bunch of hype about the next year or so....I give Disney credit, they found away to make money off free information.

I agree. And another part of why I personally can't justify all of D23's costs. Disney found a way to make money off of chunks of their advertising.

Interactive kim-possible thingy

Don't we already kinda know about the interactive kimpossible thingy in MK, I'm thinking a presentation with details, artists renderings and even some working interactive models would be a pretty big deal.

Plus I'm pretty sure they haven't revealed all the FLE secrets especially around the circus area.

Also an announcement about what's going on behind the walls at Grand Floridian.

The big patch of cleared land in AK.

Some plans for the 25th anniversary at The Studios.

My point is even if they confirmed the things we already think we know, we'll have a lot to talk about.

djkidkaz

Original Poster
Lee says that WDI is on lockdown. I have also heard and read similar accounts. From what I hear only a small handful know the green lit projects. And it's supposed to stay that way. And I think that is a good thing. That way they can play around and tweak the announcements right up until show. Plus it will certainly help with ticket sales.

Btw, these talks and discussions are exactly what they want going on. Everyone is so curious about D23. It really is turing out to be an important event after all. I think that Disney is doing a much better job proving D23's worth then when they first launched the club. I have been considering subscribing, actually.

Yeah I dont know about D23. I've been a member since day one and was actually considering not renewing after I get this last issue. Oh thats right, I still haven't gotten the fall issue yet even though its on newsstands everywhere and I could have bought it now. I've had nothing but problems with their customer service, which is also non existent. If you have a problem you call the Disney Store.com phone number and they have to email someone from the D23 department. There is no possible way to talk with someone directly from D23. They tell you that you'll hear back in 24 to 48 hours. Sorry, Im ranting.

But if they don't announce some big stuff at D23 they mine as well stick the nail in its coffin. People tune in to E3 and Comic-Con and the like because you know that you are going to see what is coming for the future. That is why people sit in front of their PC's and keep refreshing every 5 minutes during those events. If Disney just shows me more of what we already know, then why would I pay to fly down to Cali and pay high prices for Disney memorabilia? But if your REALLY gonna pull back the curtain on that one day, then its worth it to me.

Scuttle

Yes, it's been much discussed in other threads.
(I don't want to bring it up here and derail this perfectly good thread.)

Thanks a lot lol. Do you have a link by any chance lee? It's impossible to find threads on here sometimes...... Nevermind that didn't take long.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I went to the first Expo (though I'm not going to this one). There was a whole lot more to it than just a "press conference." I definitely felt like I got my money's worth.

NMBC1993

But if they don't announce some big stuff at D23 they mine as well stick the nail in its coffin. People tune in to E3 and Comic-Con and the like because you know that you are going to see what is coming for the future. That is why people sit in front of their PC's and keep refreshing every 5 minutes during those events. If Disney just shows me more of what we already know, then why would I pay to fly down to Cali and pay high prices for Disney memorabilia? But if your REALLY gonna pull back the curtain on that one day, then its worth it to me.

See I feel the same way about the offerings of D23 as far as the events go. I remember that event they had a while back where they brought Dreamfinder out and sang Imagination. Now if you enjoyed that, that's great but to me it just seemed like they had nothing big planned so they said "well just get that imagination guy in there and they'll eat it up. No, were not going to actually announce anything for the pavilion but as long as it's something old that fans like, they won't care."

dizneeboy

I visit the parks as often as possible, but I'm in Denver so D23 wasn't worth it to me. I didn't renew after the first year. The first expo was well worth the money and I had a great time, but I could have paid a little more and felt the same way as a non D23 member. If you don't live near the action and/or cannot participate in the offerings, its a bit hefty for just a magazine subscription you can buy separately. I remember running the DL half marathon and getting a free copy of D23 magazine and thinking, why did I pay for that subscription again ; ) Sorry for the D23 rant but glad it's there for locals who can get enjoy more Disney magic!

Ignohippo

The focus for the WDW parks through 2013 will be the FLE. No way will they do anything to divert attention away from that.

$500 million is a lot to spend on a park at one time (they're even spreading that across the budgets of three years), so my hope isn't too high on anything new being announced. We'll probably just get details on FLE, PI and some entertainment upgrades.

I honestly believe the FLE expansion is the Potter swatter TDO feels it needs (unfortunately) and I wouldn't be surprised to see them not add much for a couple of years. We may get an addition here and there but nothing like what many people are hoping for.

If they announce something like the Monsters Inc. coaster now, it probably wouldn't go live until 2014. Between that and the FLE, I don't see much else happening for another 5 years. The only possibility may be an addition to AK, but with its success and short operating hours, I really don't see that as a very likely possibility.

Scuttle

The focus for the WDW parks through 2013 will be the FLE. No way will they do anything to divert attention away from that.

$500 million is a lot to spend on a park at one time (they're even spreading that across the budgets of three years), so my hope isn't too high on anything new being announced. We'll probably just get details on FLE, PI and some entertainment upgrades.

I honestly believe the FLE expansion is the Potter swatter TDO feels it needs (unfortunately) and I wouldn't be surprised to see them not add much for a couple of years. We may get an addition here and there but nothing like what many people are hoping for.

If they announce something like the Monsters Inc. coaster now, it probably wouldn't go live until 2014. Between that and the FLE, I don't see much else happening for another 5 years. The only possibility may be an addition to AK, but with its success and short operating hours, I really don't see that as a very likely possibility.

500 million? No way! Where did you get that number from? I heard it is around 200.

Tip Top Club

I'm local to the WDW area, and there has been A LOT of buzz, and surprisingly a lot of it's been focused on Animal Kingdom. That being said there have been frequent executive and imagineering sightings at all four parks over the last several weeks. THAT being said...the buzz could also just come from the great white hope that is SOMETHING will be announced in two weeks....

Just today Joe Rohde and a team of execs and imagineers were walking through Africa right before the parade.

GLaDOS

500 million? No way! Where did you get that number from? I heard it is around 200.

It's gotta be 500. WDI found a way to manage paying 100 million for the Mermaid ride alone, not to mention a ride like Mater's Junkyard Whatever it's called. If they only spent 200 mill on this it'd be an honest to God miracle.

misterID

There's no way it's 500 million. It probably was with the Princess/Tink M&G's, but the budget has no doubt been slashed there big time. Also, the attraction itself will be a clone and less expensive than DL's original attractions. It's probably going to be around 200 million. The SDMT ride isn't going to open for a while and even then it'll also be a clone.

I'm local to the WDW area, and there has been A LOT of buzz, and surprisingly a lot of it's been focused on Animal Kingdom. That being said there have been frequent executive and imagineering sightings at all four parks over the last several weeks. THAT being said...the buzz could also just come from the great white hope that is SOMETHING will be announced in two weeks....

Just today Joe Rohde and a team of execs and imagineers were walking through Africa right before the parade.

Man, I hope you're right!

Tigger1988

See I feel the same way about the offerings of D23 as far as the events go. I remember that event they had a while back where they brought Dreamfinder out and sang Imagination. Now if you enjoyed that, that's great but to me it just seemed like they had nothing big planned so they said "well just get that imagination guy in there and they'll eat it up. No, were not going to actually announce anything for the pavilion but as long as it's something old that fans like, they won't care."

Destination D was NOT an event meant for announcing things at, it was about WDW's past. As someone who was there I'd say a Richard Sherman concert was a pretty big thing they had planned.

djkidkaz

Original Poster

Thats where he was spotted last time...hmmmm......

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom