I sure hope SOMETHING is announced next weekend!

drew81

I've been trying to chase down several rumors about D23 for a while now.
Based on what I'm hearing, it could go one of a few ways:

- Nothing new, just more details about ongoing projects worldwide.
- The formal announcement about the new MK parade and Fantasmic refurb.
- One possible new WDW attraction.
- Or the "Disney Decade" approach. That would mean announcing multiple new projects to open over the next 10 years, many of which would never actully see the light of day. Disappointing down the road, but would really stir the fanbase up right now. (This was the leading candidate a while back. I hear it may have been abandoned.)

All are possible, but if I were betting....parade and Fantasmic. Maybe one more thing for WDW. Maybe.

Lots of art and models for FLE, Shanghai and Rat in Paris. That is pretty certain.

Yes, though likely opening in MK first.

Good bet!

Crockett

Banned
Or the "Disney Decade" approach. That would mean announcing multiple new projects to open over the next 10 years, many of which would never actully see the light of day. Disappointing down the road, but would really stir the fanbase up right now.
Wait...did I read this correctly? Disney actually intended to announce (on purpose) plans that they knew would never actually come to pass, just to stir excitement among the fanbase?? That's a new low, even for today's big wigs of the company. So basically, they're going to tell beautifully-sounding lies to excite fans & shareholders, knowing that what they're spewing is never going to actually occur.

Nothing surprises me anymore with this company.

Scuttle

Very interesting to hear that WDI is in full lockdown mode. This makes me think even more that there is a huge project in the works.

BigThunderMatt

Wait...did I read this correctly? Disney actually intended to announce (on purpose) plans that they knew would never actually come to pass, just to stir excitement among the fanbase??

I'm sure at the start of the decade, they certainly believed many of these things would happen. But certain factors came into play that hurt their chances.

A good example would be Disney banking on the D. Tracy film being a critical and financial success and building a ride off of it, concepting the ride before the film was even released. Well...the film kind of sucked. So the ride got canned. Why bother making a ride to tie into an unsuccessful film?

puntagordabob

I have heard that the plans are only being told by select few anyway. What is happening (may not be much) isn't supposed to be known until the announcement. We will see. I am hoping for, in the very least, a new attraction.

Can't wait to read about the Tiki Room coverage.

I hope they make a big deal about the Tiki Room during the 40th!!!!

As for your first comment maybe TDO wants to surpises US for a change? lol

Wait...did I read this correctly? Disney actually intended to announce (on purpose) plans that they knew would never actually come to pass, just to stir excitement among the fanbase?? .

sure hope it wouldnt be THE plan to mislead the fans.... but rather that real circumstances changed osme of their plans.

Lee

Adventurer
So basically, they're going to tell beautifully-sounding lies to excite fans & shareholders, knowing that what they're spewing is never going to actually occur.

Nothing surprises me anymore with this company.

I didn't say they were definitely going that route, only that it was considered at one point.
Also, don't look at it as them telling "lies" exactly. They may well have an ambitious, multiple-year, multiple-park plan to announce. They could do so in good faith, even knowing that the plan would change in both size and content between announcement and opening, which would be 4-5 years in the future.

Kamikaze

I'm sure at the start of the decade, they certainly believed many of these things would happen. But certain factors came into play that hurt their chances.

A good example would be Disney banking on the D. Tracy film being a critical and financial success and building a ride off of it, concepting the ride before the film was even released. Well...the film kind of sucked. So the ride got canned. Why bother making a ride to tie into an unsuccessful film?

You're a little confused. There was a rumor of a new Disney Decade, to be started soon, possibly announced at D23. Not to be confused with Eisner's Disney Decade.

misterID

What I would consider huge announcements:

1 - Imagination refurb.

2 - The MI/BK hybrid for AK.

3 - Something big for world showcase.

But I think if there's a new attraction announced it would be the Monsters.INC coaster for DHS. Not real excited for that, but it's better than nothing.

menamechris

Well, it looks like all the bases are covered. It could be a totally amazing event - or a total bust. Looks like we will all just have to wait and see....

JustInTime

Lee says that WDI is on lockdown. I have also heard and read similar accounts. From what I hear only a small handful know the green lit projects. And it's supposed to stay that way. And I think that is a good thing. That way they can play around and tweak the announcements right up until show. Plus it will certainly help with ticket sales.

Btw, these talks and discussions are exactly what they want going on. Everyone is so curious about D23. It really is turing out to be an important event after all. I think that Disney is doing a much better job proving D23's worth then when they first launched the club. I have been considering subscribing, actually.

Scuttle

That's what I would think also. What are they hiding??

I don't know! But the fact that Iger was at WDW for the opening of star tours and then was spotted at AK in late June speaks volumes about something huge going on. Why would he come back so soon if there wasn't something huge happening? I'm telling you something is going on.

Lee

Adventurer
I don't know! But the fact that Iger was at WDW for the opening of star tours and then was spotted at AK in late June speaks volumes about something huge going on. Why would he come back so soon if there wasn't something huge happening? I'm telling you something is going on.

Iger in town last month...not related to D23 or any potential attraction.
Sorry.

menamechris

Lee says that WDI is on lockdown. I have also heard and read similar accounts. From what I hear only a small handful know the green lit projects. And it's supposed to stay that way. And I think that is a good thing. That way they can play around and tweak the announcements right up until show. Plus it will certainly help with ticket sales.

Btw, these talks and discussions are exactly what they want going on. Everyone is so curious about D23. It really is turing out to be an important event after all. I think that Disney is doing a much better job proving D23's worth then when they first launched the club. I have been considering subscribing, actually.

I am thinking it is actually having the opposite effect. I have heard they are struggling with ticket sales. The vast majority of people (insiders even) have said they will be surprised if anything major is announced. If they really had some slam dunk, people outta-their-seats-cheering type of presentation in the works - THEY would be leaking bits and pieces to get people talking. This thread was basically started as a "really hope this happens even though its unlikely" type discussion. And....I really hope that I am wrong...

tjkraz

Very interesting to hear that WDI is in full lockdown mode. This makes me think even more that there is a huge project in the works.

My takeaway from the 2009 Expo was that Disney was horribly embarrassed by the leaks which preceded the event. After a film session which dazzled (Depp, Bruckheimer, Travolta, Cage, Cyrus, etc.), all Jay Rasulo could do was literally walk out on the stage and say "all those rumors you heard...they were exactly right."

He showed the first concept art of Fantasyland but we all pretty much knew what it would look like. And Star Tours 2 was commonly known as well. There was a rumor running through the hall that George Lucas would make an appearance, but that did not happen.

My sense is that there will be announcements of significance in '11, but Disney is in full blown "you will lose your job if this gets out" mode. They want everything that's announced to be a surprise, even if many of the items have been rumor mill fodder for years. Nothing on the scale of Fantasyland but a little here and a little there.

Disney wants the Expo to be an annual event. They may have said that there was no Expo in 2010 because they wanted to get more in the pipeline, but realistically attendance was nowhere near what they had hoped for in '09. If they come out of the '11 Expo with another lukewarm parks presentation, it's going to be a huge nail in the coffin.

b94ronman

What's crazy to me, is that people pay to go and be a member of these press conferences. I'm a huge Disney fan, but paying to have them tell me about something that may or may not happen is nuts. It reminds me of an SNL skit from years back, when William Shatner hosted, they were at a Star Trek convention and people were wearing Spock ears.....and he looked at them and said, "do you people not have lives?".....as much as I love the parks, I'm not going to pay them anymore money to tell me about "upgrading fantastic". I work in the media....and press events are exactly that....for the press. And with the Internet and sites like this, they are reported on within minutes. Why would you pay to stand there and listen to a bunch of hype about the next year or so....I give Disney credit, they found away to make money off free information.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom