I successfully stoped a group of line cutters!!!

Mickey is King

Wow, I go on vacation and this is what I miss.

For all the supporters of allowing people to get closer to the front of the line (no matter how you phrase it) it reminds me of when in grade school we would give "back cuts" to our friends.

I am in line, so I allow you to cut me, then I get to cut you. End result you are now behind me, effectively jumping in front of the rest of the line.

Your entire party should enter the queue at the same time. If during the queue someone has to leave for some reason, then it is acceptable (to me) to allow them to return. But to have a person act as a "place holder" and then at a later time have a number of people join them is just rude and tacky.

As far as youth and age are concerned, I am a very young 40. I had an epiphany of sorts when I was 30 or so. I realized that when I was 20 I looked back at my teens and realized what a dumb a$$ I was then, and I felt pretty smart. When I was 25 I looked back at that 20 year old and realized he was none to smart either. When I was 30 I realized how improved I was over the 25 year old. Thats when I realized that at 35 I would be looking back at how many mistakes I made when I was 30. Since that time I have gone forward with the understanding that chances are, I am still a dumb a$$ from time to time, and maybe, just maybe, I don't know everything.

-dave

Deep thoughts- I like it. And also agree with this . My aging experience is sooooo similar.

Fizbain32

There are days that this activity still really cheeses me off. Size of the party, country of origin does not really matter. To me it's just that courtesy dictates that we should have everyone together before joining the line. But I try really hard now days to remember that everyone is in their own little world and really are not trying to cheese me off and are just trying to have a good time as I am. Some days it works, some days not as much. Either way, I am in my happy place :)

Ziffell

Even if I wanted to, I don't think I could cut in line and not feel bad about it. I thank my parents for teaching me good values. :sohappy:

I thank my parents for the same thing. But I also thank them, as well as my life experience, for teaching me to no sweat the small stuff in life.

It really boils down to a pretty simple concept (although a lot of people on here don't seem to grasp it nevertheless)... If it's a big enough deal to get upset about it, then do something about it in an adult, direct, non-emotional, non-confrontational manner. Not in a passive aggressive manner like standing in someone's way and pretending not to see them, etc. If you're not confident enough to handle it in that way, then learn to not let it bother you. It's not rocket science. :animwink:

Phonedave

I thank my parents for the same thing. But I also thank them, as well as my life experience, for teaching me to no sweat the small stuff in life.

It really boils down to a pretty simple concept (although a lot of people on here don't seem to grasp it nevertheless)... If it's a big enough deal to get upset about it, then do something about it in an adult, direct, non-emotional, non-confrontational manner. Not in a passive aggressive manner like standing in someone's way and pretending not to see them, etc. If you're not confident enough to handle it in that way, then learn to not let it bother you. It's not rocket science. :animwink:

And just what would the correct response be?

I do find it irritating (I don't know if I would go so far as to say upset). I have responded in an direct adult manner in a non-emotional tone. But how can it be non-confrontational? I am polite, I am calm, and I have said "you really should not be cutting all these people who are waiting. The back of the line is over there." Thats is confronting someone.

I so want to use the line from Family Guy "YO! Copernicus, why don't you navigate your way to the back of the line, with your shirt and your pants there" but I resist, but it would feel soooooo good.

-dave

Ziffell

And just what would the correct response be?

I do find it irritating (I don't know if I would go so far as to say upset). I have responded in an direct adult manner in a non-emotional tone. But how can it be non-confrontational? I am polite, I am calm, and I have said "you really should not be cutting all these people who are waiting. The back of the line is over there." Thats is confronting someone.

Yes, technically you're correct. And perhaps some will argue that its just semantics, but I didn't say not to "confront". I said to do it in a "non-confrontational" manner. There is a difference between the act of confronting, and the description of "being confrontational", the latter implies some level of hostility. As far as your initial question ("And just what would the correct response be?"), the first step would be to assume innocence on the part of the violating party. All too often, when we are complaining about someone else's actions or behaviors, we tend to include in the mix our own evaluation of what we believe that other person's motives or intent to be. When you think about it, how often does our language reveal this when we are describing someone else? We tend to say things like, "She thought..." or "He was trying to...". In reality, we have no way of knowing what a person was thinking or what they were trying to do. All we have to go on is the action we actually observed, and we fill in the blanks with the rest. If you read through this thread, you'll see a lot of remarks about intent, more so than actual behaviors. So that's the first step. Ignore what you believe the person's intent to be and just focus on the behavior. In this case, the behavior is that someone is stepping in front of you in line. A confrontation that assumes innocence would sound something like, "Pardon me, you probably didn't realize this, but the line actually starts back there", in a very calm, yet assertive (assertive...not aggressive), non emotional tone. If you are not used to handling things in this manner, then I can understand why you would think it would not be effective. But it is infinitely more effective than trying to be intimidating or losing your cool by getting angry. And it is way more effective than playing games with people by doing things like just blocking their path and pretending not to see them. Try it some time. You may be amazed. Worst case scenario is that they either ignore you or they say something like, "I was in line and went to the restroom. Now I'm just catching up to my party." Is that technically against the rules? I guess so. But I don't pay for a ticket into Disney to go around enforcing the rules all day. I do it to go and have a good time. :wave:

I so want to use the line from Family Guy "YO! Copernicus, why don't you navigate your way to the back of the line, with your shirt and your pants there" but I resist, but it would feel soooooo good.

I think this is part of the problem though. The fact that this type of behavior would make a person "feel good" for doing it is something that I don't really get. Does it feel good because you took a jab at someone or humiliated them? Are you someone who is generally afraid to stand up for yourself and you believe this is an example of overcoming that fear (because, really, it isn't)? Just curious.

UberPlannerMom

I think this is part of the problem though. The fact that this type of behavior would make a person "feel good" for doing it is something that I don't really get. Does it feel good because you took a jab at someone or humiliated them? Are you someone who is generally afraid to stand up for yourself and you believe this is an example of overcoming that fear (because, really, it isn't)? Just curious.
My guess is that he wants to say it because it is a family guy quote. Haven't you ever known someone who loved finding just the right pop culture quote to apply to a situation? If not I suggest you watch some episodes of Psych!:ROFLOL:

Ziffell

My guess is that he wants to say it because it is a family guy quote. Haven't you ever known someone who loved finding just the right pop culture quote to apply to a situation? If not I suggest you watch some episodes of Psych!:ROFLOL:

You're right that is a possibility. Although I wouldn't think someone would say that it would "feel good" to say it if that were case. Of course, waiting around for just the opportunity to use a great quote kind of reminds me of a Seinfeld episode where George went to ridiculous lengths (even flying to another state just to attend a meeting) just to use a "great comeback". :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom