I saw the new space mountain cars!

Jonathan

I remember when I was first tall enough to ride Space Mountain in WDW my father took me on the ride. This must have been around 1979-80 (?) But what I remember very well is my father joking that he thought I had broken a couple of his ribs, because my head was hitting his chest really hard as we were josteled around. So I must have been sitting RIGHT in front of him.

David

Originally posted by ogryn
WDW: Always had 1-1-1 style seats (ie 1 wide, 3 deep), as Space Mountain was meant to be the "East Coast Matterhorn" (according to http://www.cafetiki.com/space/orlando.htm)

The track isn't suited to 2-2-2 style seating

DL: Had 2-2-2 seating before this current track replacement. Speakers were retro-fitted to the previous cars, and now it seems have been designed into the new cars. Remember DL only has 1 track inside it's (smaller) mountain. WDW has two tracks.

Thanks for the link to that site. Enjoyed reading about SM!

ToTBellHop

Actually, Space Mountain is getting a major rehab in the coming years, just like "it's a small world", Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and Jungle Cruise. All the classics are getting much needed love. I don't know about a new track for our Space Mountain, but anything is possible with these lengthy rehabs in the works.

StevenT

I hope they NEVER change WDW space mountain. It was the first, the original and should remain the way it was built. I don't think it'd hate it too much if they maybe did a soundtrack, or maybe some updated effects, but the track layout needs to stay. :D

Lee

Adventurer
Nah...gut that sucker!

When DL's new mountain opens next summer, and HKDL's in 2006, WDW will officially have the company's most craptacular Space Mountain.

Thats not right! WDW deserves better, and better in this case is a complete renovation of the ride, ala Disneyland.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Originally posted by Lee
Nah...gut that sucker!

By all means do, but PLEASE keep the 70`s future feel (new cars, FX and addition of audio would be most welcome).

BTW.... MY ONE THOUSANDTH POST!! YIPPEE :) :) :)

xfkirsten

Congratst Marni!

I'm really hoping that with the cars being designed with music in mind, they will be more reliable than the old SM cars. It really was a disappointment when you got a train without music, at least for me. Still is, on Screamin. I sing the music in that case. :p

-Kirsten

Lee

Adventurer
Originally posted by marni1971
but PLEASE keep the 70`s future feel

:brick:
That's part of what I HATE about the ride.
It needs to fit the New Tomorrowland theme, give a Buck Rogers vibe: Neon, chrome, etc.

MKCP 1985

Originally posted by Lee
Nah...gut that sucker!

When DL's new mountain opens next summer, and HKDL's in 2006, WDW will officially have the company's most craptacular Space Mountain.

Thats not right! WDW deserves better, and better in this case is a complete renovation of the ride, ala Disneyland.

Amen, brother. It wouldn't be right for Space Mountain to be reduced to Kiddie Ride status. I am fully in favor of a major renovation complete with state of the art launch and audio systems. (I do hope they maintain the theme of the blast-off and landing sequences with the red and blue lights and sound effects. I've always thought they were cool.)

I can't believe the number of people on here who don't remember either sitting or having someone sit between your legs on the old WDW Space Mountain trains! That's an experience not easily forgotten. I guess I'm getting old!

netenyahoo

I think it is funny that a DVD for WDW has footage from a ride at DL. Maybe they make the DVD in California and it was easier and cheaper just to get DL footage.

StevenT

Originally posted by Lee
Nah...gut that sucker!

No, the most craptacular award will belong to Tokyo Disneyland, they have an exact clone of the original DL version, with no on-board audio.

sarajo

I remember the first time I rode SM (when it first opened) I was riding with my dad. He had a huge bruise on his chest where my head kept hitting him during the ride. Loved those bench seats!!! Too bad they got rid of them... but then again, I don't think I would want to ride on the bench seat with somebody that I didn't know... that's just a little too personal for me! :animwink:

CalDisney

If you go to Ebay they are selling one of the Old Disneyland Space Mountain cars
Look under DisneyTheme park collectables.
My guess the New cars you saw Are for Disneyland

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom