I really hate filling out the tip before my card is run...

JimboJones123

This seems to be the current practice at WDW TS.

I hate it.

The CMs seem to live it.

They hate cash tips.

I hate them highlighting and pointing out the suggested tips several times.

The tip should be able to be altered if we have to wait 20 minutes for my card back (happened twice).

Tip is a reward for total job well done, not 80%.

I regret how the tip was handled by the server ended in a slash in tip for several servers.

Never ask me why you did not get 15%. My tip is never up for discussion. Especially when much of the bill is based on drinks and you got 2 of the four milkshakes were wrong and we were never given refills. Plus, do not be lame a Whispering Canyon. When 5 other servers give us better service than you - NEVER question the tip.

If you did not push the tip - you got 30+%. We brought a tip budget for free dining plan and spent the exact budget amount. Some servers made out like bandits an others went home with lighter pockets.

Disney servers - if your tip is no longer guranteed, do not throw it away.

worldfanatic

I've worked for tips most of my life, and have always been very generous when the shoe's on the other foot.
However, if someone has the stupidity to bring up their tip, I don't hesitate to stiff them.

I had a cab driver in San Diego tell me the fare was $25.00, and if I wanted to tip correctly, it would be $30.
I was shocked!:eek:
I gave him $25, telling him I had planned giving $32. And if there was a problem, he could meet me on the sidewalk.

He drove away swearing at me.
His wallet $7 lighter than it should have been.:lol:

Upvote 0

mm52

tip charges

This will be my first trip using the DDP, I've been reading the posts about the tipping, and getting a little confused. I was under the impression that your DDP plan was on your resort card, that you gave that to the server and they would remove the TS meal credit and give you a receipt showing your balance, and that you are responsible to leave the tip which is only right. Is leaving a cash tip a problem? I just assumed that would be acceptable.

Upvote 0

lilclerk

This will be my first trip using the DDP, I've been reading the posts about the tipping, and getting a little confused. I was under the impression that your DDP plan was on your resort card, that you gave that to the server and they would remove the TS meal credit and give you a receipt showing your balance, and that you are responsible to leave the tip which is only right. Is leaving a cash tip a problem? I just assumed that would be acceptable.
You can definitely leave a cash tip. I can't imagine them not preferring a cash tip, unless it's easier to bug you into leaving a bigger tip when you're paying on a card... which seems to be the issue here.

Upvote 0

mousefan1972

You can definitely leave a cash tip. I can't imagine them not preferring a cash tip, unless it's easier to bug you into leaving a bigger tip when you're paying on a card... which seems to be the issue here.

I think that is it. The way the receipt is set up, you are given a "choice" of leaving either an 18% or 20% tip, and the amount is precalculated for you. (so nice of them, huh :rolleyes:) I always use cash for our tips; and I tip based on service, not on what the receipt recommends. I just write "CASH" in the line where you would sign for the room charge, and leave what the service merits. (we are a party of 4 so no auto-grat crap to deal with)

Upvote 0

lilclerk

We go every year and I have never seen a CM ask why there tip was only a certain amount, never have I had one even point out the where the tip was on the receipt. QUOTE]
This isn't a WDW issue, really. Maybe it's worse there for one reason or another, but I had a similar situation at Outback here in RI last night. Maybe it's just that times are tough right now. :shrug:

I also hate when they try to make it seem like they're really busy to try to make you feel bad and leave a bigger tip.
Before anyone says anything, my best friend is a waiter and he's always the first one to point these things out.

Upvote 0

Doug7856

When we have a bad experience regarding service, please contact Disney customer service and let them know. If these practices are policy, it won't change unless we let Disney know of our dissatisfaction.

Upvote 0

nepalostparks

A server/waiter should NEVER question your tip amount. That's poor taste and outright bad customer service, at Disney or elsewhere.

As for circling or pointing out the 18%/20% tipping guide on the receipt, you have to remember that the Dining Plan used to include a tip in the price of the plan. (This changed in 2008 if I remember correctly). My guess is that some waiters are still doing this.

So, if you had used the Dining Plan in the past, your tips were taken care of. When they changed over to not including the tips, I remember there were issues with people not realizing it wasn't included - and not leaving any tips for their servers.

Remember, in most places, waiters/waitresses get paid a small hourly rate (in PA, it's somwhere around $3 bucks an hour) and make a majority of their money through tips.

Naturally, if the service you receive is poor, the tip should reflect that. But circling or highlighting the tip section on your receipt is just to point out those suggested amounts. I wouldn't change my tip based on highlighting on the receipt ... I would tip based on the service I received for the meal.

Upvote 0

JimboJones123

Original Poster
thank you all for the quick responses to my question about using cash for tipping. Only 19 days till the magic begins!

We attempeted cast tips three times.

Ohana- "the spot for the tip is right here sir".
"I have cash for the tip"
"are you sure you do not want it on the card, just fill this in"
"no, I have cash"

STIFFED. We also asked for the bill at 9:18 and did not get out until 10:10.

Coral Reef- "thank you sir, have a good day"
I gave the Very Nice server 30%.

1900 Park Fare- "you fill in the tip here first sir"
"I have cash"
"oh, um, okay???"
$5 tip on $120.

I really hate it, but overall we tipped about a 22% average. Those jerks at these three and Whispering Canyon saved me about $50. Does not make me proud though.

Upvote 0

Raven66

I have a friend who has worked as a server and she told me that they prefer tips in cash. With cash they get it right away but if you put it on a cc they have to wait for their tips. I never realized that. We have always put our tips on our card when we pay.

Upvote 0

yankspy

happened to us at Yak and Yeti. He went on and on, to the point we lowered his tip.

That is why we pay cash for tip. I can decide up to the last minute how much to tip. And not worry about my card being dropped in the toilet because someone fells my tip is to small..
He probably will not be working there much longer.

Could this be a DDP thing? I have never had a server remind me about a tip. It really is unprofessional.

Upvote 0

CoasterKing

By the way, I really dislike the thought of a mandatory 18% tip on parties of six or greater. When left to my own devices I usually tip a CM somewhere in the 20-25% range. It's just the two of us when we go to WDW, but if we were a larger party the server assisting our table would certainly be losing out with the forced 18% "gratuity" policy.

No problem, since you usually leave a 20 to 25% tip, all you have to do is add a cash tip to the mandatory 18% tip in the amount of 2 to 7%. This way you will still be giving your usual 20 to 25% tip and everybody will be happy. :sohappy:

CoasterKing :king:

Upvote 0

LisaB08

Automatic tipping at Crystal Palace

My husband and I made an ADR for the Crystal Palace last year at WDW. When we were finally seated it took the server 20 minutes to even greet us. We finally just went to the buffet without prompting and had to remind the server to get our drinks (which she never refilled). We never saw her after that and she didn't clear any plates away. We noticed that an 18% gratuity had been added to our already expense dinner of $66.00. I immediately called the manager over and asked him to remove the tip. I explained that our service was sub par and asked why should we pay an 18% gratuity at a buffet that where we basically serve ourselves.....

Upvote 0

wvdisneyfamily

We had an incident at one restaurant where we were leaving a cash tip. The waiter took our card and bill, opened the folder they were in, turned around with this horrid look on his face and said "Where's the tip?" I was at a loss for words. DH managed to mutter cash.

On a different trip, our server put in a way wrong amount on our card. There was no way it was an honest mistake like putting an extra number in. The amounts weren't close. The only thing I can think of is she confused two bills.

Upvote 0

Gucci65

I am reminded of The Sopranos episode where the waiter came running after Paulie & Chris after he was left something like $10 on a $500 bill.

He died

Any place I have ever eaten at, you get a bill, you check it, you leave your card, they swipe it, then you add in a tip amount and sign it and leave.

-dave

Nah, I'm not a pistol-toting mamma just one with a razor sharp tongue when provoked beyond belief. LOL

CASH seems to be the only way to go. So glad I did not encounter this on my last trip and as everyone knows it was during Spring Break and I'm sure the servers were exhausted yet they provided excellent service and did not badger us in any way about what the "suggested" tip should be.

Upvote 0

Computer Magic

He probably will not be working there much longer.

Could this be a DDP thing? I have never had a server remind me about a tip. It really is unprofessional.
Yes it is because of DDP. DDP use to include tip so I understand leaving a card stating tip was not included. Some people might have went when tip was included. Even the reminder on the slip what 18% and 20% tip would be. But that is as far as it should go. The waiter/waitress shouldn't say anything. There is no need.

Upvote 0

kennygman

Okay, so I go to Chef Mickey's for Dinner and it's 2 adults 2 tweens and a child
My cost is $134.95 plus tax
Breakfast would only cost me $104.95 pt
Service is exactly the same as it is a buffet. Why does the dinner server deserve 6 or 8 dollars more for the same service?
Why do they expect you to tip the same for a buffet as a table service as well?

Upvote 0

RobParr77

This seems to be the current practice at WDW TS.

I hate it.

The CMs seem to live it.

I Just got back from WDW myself and would like to take the time to maybe touch apon this a little bit. First off service is service good or bad and NO ONE can tell you how much to leave except for large parties. The reason for this is that MOST parties of six or more rarely leave a tip that is more than 5% even if the service was excelent. But large parties aside let me disect this problem...

They hate cash tips. No server in the world hates cash tips, as they are all greedy it allows them better access to shave off the top and not share as much with the bar tenders, kitchen staff and cleaning staff (And yes the server is not the only one who shares in these tips)

I hate them highlighting and pointing out the suggested tips several times. As the poilcy has changed in WDW your server was probably just pointing out your different options. You ARE NOT obligated to go with the 15% or 20% generated on the receipt, they have added this to help elviate the pressure of math on the American public who cant produce a simple tip with out breaking out a calculator or IPhone ap. In any case you can write down the tip, cross the whole thing out, OR on the total line wrtie in the total with tip and food cost that you would like run on your card. Leagly speaking the only thing they can run is what is written on the total line, as long as it is equal to or greater than the cost of your meal. However if he was bagdering or making stong suggestions that you give a certain percentage, you leave nothing and complain to the manager right then and there with the server present. Trust me no server wants to be called out in public for being an ______...

The tip should be able to be altered if we have to wait 20 minutes for my card back (happened twice). That is when you ask for the manager and complain imediately. No server or cashier has the right to keep you for 20 min especialy when your credit card is out of your hands.

Tip is a reward for total job well done, not 80%. Agreed

Never ask me why you did not get 15%. My tip is never up for discussion. Especially when much of the bill is based on drinks and you got 2 of the four milkshakes were wrong and we were never given refills. There is no restraunt that i know of in WDW that you get free refills on milkshakes. In fact all of them point out before you order the long list of beverages that ARE NOT free refills. If your server did not point this out he defiantely deserves a low tip and yes they should never comment on what you did or did not leave.

Upvote 0

RobParr77

Okay, so I go to Chef Mickey's for Dinner and it's 2 adults 2 tweens and a child
My cost is $134.95 plus tax
Breakfast would only cost me $104.95 pt
Service is exactly the same as it is a buffet. Why does the dinner server deserve 6 or 8 dollars more for the same service?
Why do they expect you to tip the same for a buffet as a table service as well?

As far as the pricing goes most breakfsat lunch and dinner menus are different. Ingredients used at lunch and dinner tned to be more costly and more time is involved in their preperation. As far as tip is concerned your server is not the only person who gets a share of that tip. Cleanup, kitchen staff, servers, and or bartenders all get their share from the single tip you leave. In most restraunts, bartenders get 10% of total tip, busboys 10% of total tip kitchen staff 5% of total tip. Most servers would only get about 75% of the total tip AND most servers live off of tips. In most states servers whether they are ale' cart (table) or Buffet only get paid about $4 - $6 an hour if even that.

Upvote 0

sueuk

We really noticed the 'tip situation' this visit (22/9 - 7/10). The very worst was in Narcoosees - our first visit there (and our last); the meal was only so so and the service was appalling right through the experience. Finally when the dessert came Russ had no spoon, so had to stop a passing waitress and ask for one as his dessert was getting cold - she just went and told OUR waitress who took another 5 minutes bringing it even though she was doing nothing else - we could see her. Then when she brought the spoon, she also brought the bill - before even checking if we wanted coffee etc, and while he was trying to eat stood and explained the bill to him. I think the bill for meal and drinks was about $150and if it was left up to me she would have got a $1 tip, but Russ gave her $20. She then came to him and said 'I don't understand how you have worked this out. He actually had to say 'the $20 is yours and feel lucky you got it!' and he's not usually a rude person.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom