I found a real eye opening article about WDI

yensidtlaw1969

wannab@dis said:
The one thing that I do appreciate at MK is the changes between lands. Very well done in most instances.
On that note, i'm going to point out ho I HATE the Fantasyland/Tomorrowland Transition. People have claimed it is a seamless transition, but I don't see how a Tudor cottage right next to a white and purple stucco building is seamless. not to mention the teacups and insy Speedyway are right nest to eachother. Maybe they figured people would be so disoriented from the teacups that they'd never notice? I dunno, but for whatever reason this always irked me. I noticed it even as a small child, which means someone did something wrong!!!

Yensid "Oh look, Mr Toad! Oh look the Mad Hatter! Oh look, Astronauts! Huh?" tlaw1969

PintoColvig

wannab@dis said:
I believe that AK has better detailing and stays true to the theme better than MK.

Especially Dinoland, USA! :hurl: JK! I do agree with you on the theming issue. Minus Dinoland, there is far more consistency across DAK than you find at MK. Even within each respective land (again, minus Dinoland), there is far greater consistency of the theming in DAK than in MK. Of course, we should ask if this will still be true in 25 years after numerous changes and additions are made to DAK?

Oh, and you are so right on about most of the transitions between the lands in MK. Very impressive. :)

wannab@dis

icorsix said:
Especially Dinoland, USA! :hurl: JK!
Whether or not we like the theming of Dinoland doesn't negate the fact that the theming IS top notch. It holds true to the idea of a roadside carny very well. ;)

yensidtlaw1969

wannab@dis said:
Whether or not we like the theming of Dinoland doesn't negate the fact that the theming IS top notch. It holds true to the idea of a roadside carny very well. ;)
Does that mean if we got somethin poorly themed for Dinorama we would like it better? ;)

Yensid "It's supposed to be a roadside carnival, but it's way too good to be one. Completly unrealistic. I'm sucked out of the illusion!!!" tlaw1969

wannab@dis

yensidtlaw1969 said:
Does that mean if we got somethin poorly themed for Dinorama we would like it better? ;)

Yensid "It's supposed to be a roadside carnival, but it's way too good to be one. Completly unrealistic. I'm sucked out of the illusion!!!" tlaw1969
:lol: Maybe, but I doubt it.

Eh, I'm not a big fan, but I don't really care that much. My little girl enjoyed some of it and you have to admit that it helps control crowd levels.

PintoColvig

wannab@dis said:

I didn't say I didn't like the theming (though I don't). I was speaking about the consistency of the theming. The "feel" of Dinoland doesn't not fit well with the rest of DAK, I believe. Not only that, there isn't much consistency within Dinoland itself. Yes, it is true that it all falls under the heading of dinosaurs but the charicature carnival detailing does not fit well with the more realistic Dinosaur attraction or even archeological dig at the Boneyard.

Ghostbuster626

Original Poster
icorsix said:
I didn't say I didn't like the theming (though I don't). I was speaking about the consistency of the theming. The "feel" of Dinoland doesn't not fit well with the rest of DAK, I believe. Not only that, there isn't much consistency within Dinoland itself. Yes, it is true that it all falls under the heading of dinosaurs but the charicature carnival detailing does not fit well with the more realistic Dinosaur attraction or even archeological dig at the Boneyard.

IMO Dinoland would be better if they droped the carnival detailing all together and just split Dinoland into two parts: Mueseum/Institute and Dig Site.

wannab@dis

icorsix said:
Ok, I see where you're coming from.

But isn't Dinosaur and the Boneyard supposed to be part of the "Dino Institute" and Dinoland is setup next to it as a "tourist trap". At least, that's what I thought was the intention.

speck76

Ghostbuster626 said:
well I meant the dragon e-ticket and the boat ride. As for the maze..how popular is the alice in wonderland one at DLP? I think with an elaborate theme and some cool special effects it would be a satisying attraction and plus its great for capacity.

The boat ride was open, and failed

1 e-ticket and a maze would not have cured the problems of DAK, especially with the price tag involved.

PintoColvig

wannab@dis said:

But isn't Dinosaur and the Boneyard supposed to be part of the "Dino Institute" and Dinoland is setup next to it as a "tourist trap". At least, that's what I thought was the intention.

It's a trap alright! :lol:

Seriously though, I haven't heard the tourist trap concept. It certainly is a stretch. The whole carnival idea is IMHO the most un-Disney part of all of WDW.

imagineer boy

Personally, I kinda like Dino Rama because it does have some interesting themeing. Such as sealed cracks in the pavement as if it were built on an old parking lot, the adjacent shop is a hoot with all the cheesy road side themeing, dino balloon, and parked cars next to it. However, the consitancy of the themeing is all wrong. Its kinda weird, first, you're walking through a childs dig themed play area, then you're in a cheesy road side themed area, then you're in the serious Dino Institue part. If I were the imagineers, I would've put all the themeing in better order around the place. I would have the enterance go staight to a large plaza area with the serious dinosaur Dino-Institute themeing with lush vegitation, dinosaur statues, ect. The Dino Institute ( with much better facade I might add ) with Dinosaur ride inside. Adjacent to it would be a dino zoo with animatronic dinosaurs that the Dino Institute has collected from the past and put on display in Jarrassic Park-esque cages. Next to that would be the bone yard play ground for kids. Then, across a bridge, over a creek, and you're in cheesy road side area which have been attracted near by because of the popularity of the Dino Institute. There would of corse be the Breakfreastanosaurus ( or whatever you call it ), the Chester and Hester shop, and Dino-Rama. I did have an idea a while ago for a new ride where chester and hester have built a lame dark ride where their awful animatonics and falling apart and collapsing while realistic workman AAs ( to add Disney quality to the ride ), and running around trying to stop the poor concieved ride from falling apart on the guests. Then just across the road would be the Tarzan theater, then Everest path.

Just my $0.02

peter11435

wannab@dis said:

Exactly. In short the story of dinoland is that fossils were discovered in the small town. This of course caused the Dino Institute to set up their research facility and museum in the town. Chester and Hester owned a small gas station in the area prior to the fossils being discovered. Afterwards they decided to cash in by turning their gas station into a store, and their parking lot into a tourist trap dinosaur themed carnival called DinoRama. Its pretty much exactly what would happen in a small town where fossils were discovered. Like the themeing or not, if you know the entire story the themeing of Dinoland is very well done and very consistent.

Enderikari

Personally, I love the theming of Dino-Rama! If you get it...

You see originally, there was really this hole-in-the-wall gas station owned by two folks, Chester and Hester.. They operated it for several years, until one day, a massive dinosaur bone was found, and another, and another. Archeologists found so many remains out in the middle of nowhere, that they set-up an institute to help study the bones.
Now, Chester and Hester smelled the money, and they turned their little gas station into a roadside attraction, using their own parking lot; knowing that the Dino Institute would bring in the customers.

Short Story - it is supposed to look cheap.

Ghostbuster626

Original Poster
speck76 said:
The boat ride was open, and failed

1 e-ticket and a maze would not have cured the problems of DAK, especially with the price tag involved.

The beastly kingdom boat ride never opened...im not talking about the Discovery river boats!

yensidtlaw1969

peter11435 said:
Exactly. In short the story of dinoland is that fossils were discovered in the small town. This of course caused the Dino Institute to set up their research facility and museum in the town. Chester and Hester owned a small gas station in the area prior to the fossils being discovered. Afterwards they decided to cash in by turning their gas station into a store, and their parking lot into a tourist trap dinosaur themed carnival called DinoRama. Like the themeing or not, if you know the entire story the themeing of Dinoland is very well done and very consistent.
Yes, but the problem is while it is elaborately themed, to the untrained eye it's cheap garbage. How on earth is the average guest just upposed to assume that's the story of Dinaoland without any real conveyance of what happened? there's a great plot, it just needs some real expositon, or people will continue to be dissapointed.

Yensid "Miss Piggy: Um, why are you telling me all this?"

"Oh, well, it's plot exposition." tlaw1969

peter11435

imagineer boy said:
Personally, I kinda like Dino Rama because it does have some interesting themeing. Such as sealed cracks in the pavement as if it were built on an old parking lot, the adjacent shop is a hoot with all the cheesy road side themeing, dino balloon, and parked cars next to it. However, the consitancy of the themeing is all wrong. Its kinda weird, first, you're walking through a childs dig themed play area, then you're in a cheesy road side themed area, then you're in the serious Dino Institue part. If I were the imagineers, I would've put all the themeing in better order around the place. I would have the enterance go staight to a large plaza area with the serious dinosaur Dino-Institute themeing with lush vegitation, dinosaur statues, ect. The Dino Institute ( with much better facade I might add ) with Dinosaur ride inside. Adjacent to it would be a dino zoo with animatronic dinosaurs that the Dino Institute has collected from the past and put on display in Jarrassic Park-esque cages. Next to that would be the bone yard play ground for kids. Then, across a bridge, over a creek, and you're in cheesy road side area which have been attracted near by because of the popularity of the Dino Institute. There would of corse be the Breakfreastanosaurus ( or whatever you call it ), the Chester and Hester shop, and Dino-Rama. I did have an idea a while ago for a new ride where chester and hester have built a lame dark ride where their awful animatonics and falling apart and collapsing while realistic workman AAs ( to add Disney quality to the ride ), and running around trying to stop the poor concieved ride from falling apart on the guests. Then just across the road would be the Tarzan theater, then Everest path.

Just my $0.02
Thats a very nice monologue. Thanks. :lol:

PintoColvig

peter11435 said:
Exactly. In short the story of dinoland is that fossils were discovered in the small town. This of course caused the Dino Institute to set up their research facility and museum in the town. Chester and Hester owned a small gas station in the area prior to the fossils being discovered. Afterwards they decided to cash in by turning their gas station into a store, and their parking lot into a tourist trap dinosaur themed carnival called DinoRama. Its pretty much exactly what would happen in a small town where fossils were discovered. Like the themeing or not, if you know the entire story the themeing of Dinoland is very well done and very consistent.

I've been to DAK dozens of times and this is the first time I've heard the story of the Dinoland. I had to come to Disney fansite to learn the story. That means that probably 99% of the rest of the attending public don't know the story either. The theme may be consistent within Dinoland itself--if you know the backstory--but Dinorama is hardly consistent with the rest of DAK. It is a lame idea gone bad, if you ask me. Why in the world would I want to pretend that I am at a parking lot carnival when I can go to the real thing here in backwoods KY. A spinning ride, a mouse coaster, midway games, and a tacky souvenir shop...Who came up that doo doo idea? :hammer:

peter11435

icorsix said:
I've been to DAK dozens of times and this is the first time I've heard the story of the Dinoland. I had to come to Disney fansite to learn the story. That means that probably 99% of the rest of the attending public don't know the story either.

99% of the attending public don't know the story of BTMRR or POTC either. Its really not that hard to figure out on your own anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom