I am really starting to get concerned about the bed bug problem.

headwithfire

I tried to find a related post so I aplogize if this is a double thread:
This Nov will be our 3rd trip to Disney World and with our soon to be 5 year old son. This year we decided to stay at the Wilderness lodge VIllas.
I am really getting concerned about the bed bug epidemic.
Does anyone know what type of precautions that Disney is taking?
I have a plan of action with my luggage. My clothes will be in space saver bags then once out of the luggage, the luggage will be in a trash bag. I am doing this to avoid bringing them into the room with us from the airplane.
Anyone who has been there recently, can you tell me if noticed any precautions? Like matteresses being incased?

I am so excited about our trip, I am not going to let this ruin it. I just like to be proactive.

WDW_Emily

I haven't really heard of bed bug problems at the world. I'm more worried about them in my dorm bed then in a disney hotel. you can't really prevent bed bugs they randomly come and you can't get rid of them unless an exterminator comes...

Upvote 0

erstwo

I've read at least 3 reports of bed bugs at Disney resort hotels in the last year. Two at Deluxes, one at a Value. It is a valid concern, but not something you can really do much about.

I say that your best bet is to do what I do, which is find out what the warning signs are for bed bugs and then armed with that information, BEFORE your enter your room at WDW, and BEFORE you wheel your suitcases into the room, go in and check for signs of bed bugs yourself.

That's really all that is humanly possible to do, other than locking yourself in your house. :lookaroun :D

I do this at all hotels, not just Disney ones FYI.

To be fair to Disney, in all reports I've read about bed bugs, something was done immediately about the situation, including removing the matresses, "pest controlling the room", etc. For the Disney guests, they were moved to another room, given ALL new clothes to wear, including undergarments, and had all of their clothing/ luggage sterilized by Disney employees and laundries. (Of course a few people had some clothes that shrank during the "sterilizing" - which is essentially washing everything in super hot water.)

The worst wouldn't be getting bed bugs while you're at Disney, the worst is getting them, not knowing you have them and then bringing them home. :(

Given the # of rooms Disney has and the # of people that occupy those rooms every night, your chances are one in MILLIONS that you would get bed bugs. So, just know what to look out for and once you've checked the room out, take a big sigh of relief and have a wonderful, wonderful trip! :wave:

Upvote 0

stefan74

I've read at least 3 reports of bed bugs at Disney resort hotels in the last year. Two at Deluxes, one at a Value. It is a valid concern, but not something you can really do much about.

I say that your best bet is to do what I do, which is find out what the warning signs are for bed bugs and then armed with that information, BEFORE your enter your room at WDW, and BEFORE you wheel your suitcases into the room, go in and check for signs of bed bugs yourself.

That's really all that is humanly possible to do, other than locking yourself in your house. :lookaroun :D

I do this at all hotels, not just Disney ones FYI.

To be fair to Disney, in all reports I've read about bed bugs, something was done immediately about the situation, including removing the matresses, "pest controlling the room", etc. For the Disney guests, they were moved to another room, given ALL new clothes to wear, including undergarments, and had all of their clothing/ luggage sterilized by Disney employees and laundries. (Of course a few people had some clothes that shrank during the "sterilizing" - which is essentially washing everything in super hot water.)

The worst wouldn't be getting bed bugs while you're at Disney, the worst is getting them, not knowing you have them and then bringing them home. :(

Given the # of rooms Disney has and the # of people that occupy those rooms every night, your chances are one in MILLIONS that you would get bed bugs. So, just know what to look out for and once you've checked the room out, take a big sigh of relief and have a wonderful, wonderful trip! :wave:

I could not have said it any better!

Upvote 0

Phonedave

It really is one of those things that if it happens it happens.

It makes the news because, quite frankly, if it does happen it really stinks. But short of living in a bubble, there is nothing you can do to prevent them 100%

I live in a condo, if my neighbors get them, there is a good chance they will make their way to my unit. Not much I can do about that.

As was said before, the best thing you can do is check the room as soon as you get there.

-dave

Upvote 0

floridabill

I tried to find a related post so I aplogize if this is a double thread:
This Nov will be our 3rd trip to Disney World and with our soon to be 5 year old son. This year we decided to stay at the Wilderness lodge VIllas.
I am really getting concerned about the bed bug epidemic.
Does anyone know what type of precautions that Disney is taking?
I have a plan of action with my luggage. My clothes will be in space saver bags then once out of the luggage, the luggage will be in a trash bag. I am doing this to avoid bringing them into the room with us from the airplane.
Anyone who has been there recently, can you tell me if noticed any precautions? Like matteresses being incased?

I am so excited about our trip, I am not going to let this ruin it. I just like to be proactive.

Here is a link of HORROR stories of bed bugs at disney! I have been sending this to everyone I know!! http://www.bedbugregistry.com/hotel/FL/Orlando/Walt-Disney-World-Resort They are basically running flee bag motels for $500 plus a night!! I have no idea how they have not been on the news, or shut down til they clean! And if you get bed bugs they will not care, and they will stick there noise to you! Spread the word share links! Disney is dirty rude and going down hill!!!!

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

As I'm writing this- a bed bug story has just come on the news. The reality- you could pick up bed bugs anywhere. Hotels get the press, but the story I was just watching was regarding hospitals and I've seen stories claiming you could pick them up pretty much anywhere (i.e. the gym, daycare, going to a friend's house, etc). Some people even claim airplane luggage holds are far worse for the bed bug spread than any hotel room. I'd certainly inspect the room (especially the mattress - underneath and area up by the headboard) before taking in your luggage (assuming you are the one bringing your luggage into your room), but beyond that- it's not worth worrying about it. I'm a fine one to talk - since I worry about some insane things all the time, but I've vowed to not freak out over bed bugs. Have a great trip!:wave:

Upvote 0

captainkidd

I must be strange. I honestly could not care less about bed bugs. Sure, if I see them, I'll say something and get my room changed. But what's the worst thing that can happen? Can you die from being bit by one? Not that I know of.

If you're gonna worry about bed bugs, you might as well worry about touching the handrails in every que, or touching the safety bar on every ride. Anything can get you sick. As for bugs, they're a fact of life anywhere.

Upvote 0

CaptainWinter

I must be strange. I honestly could not care less about bed bugs. Sure, if I see them, I'll say something and get my room changed. But what's the worst thing that can happen? Can you die from being bit by one? Not that I know of.

As I understand it, the problem is they can come home with you. Not only can they bite you and cause irritation, but eradicating them from your home can be very troublesome and very expensive. (I've even heard of people having to throw clothes away and destroy their own furniture.) I think that's why people are so concerned about them.

But no, you won't die.

Upvote 0

ErickainPA

I stayed at Movies just 2 weeks ago and no issue what-so-ever with bed bugs. Can't let something that is beyond your control rule your vacation. Do a check of the room before you take your bag in and then just go in and relax and don't worry about it. That's what I did, had a great time.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

I think that the issue is getting a lot of attention now because of how people are getting concerned. I don't think the problem is really that much worse than it ever was, but now the media is throwing it in your face more. As they do with EVERYTHING now, the news tries to make every situation seem like the end of the world. If you are concerned, check the room quickly before putting your stuff down. Once you do that and see that there is nothing there, then you shouldn't worry yourself as much. I think putting your luggage in garbage bags is a bit much (but if it helps you out then do what you have to do). I compare this to H1N1 from a couple of years ago...we were all going to get the disease, but in reality not many of us did.

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

Here's a link to a previous thread on the topic:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=624773&highlight=bedbugs

And as far as the registry goes - it is reports by users and they state right on the site that they can not guarantee the accuracy of the data (translation - anyone can post anything to freak people out).

Yes, it can be a problem, however, so can H1N1, West Nile Virus, Avian Flu, Salmonella, E.Coli and people that take out your ankles with a stroller. Fortunately, you are most likely of getting clipped by a stroller than contracting anything else.

Upvote 0

mickeyplush

It's a very serious problem and only going to get worse. However, if you are vigilant about checking for them prior to settling in your room you will probably be ok.

Upvote 0

rsoxguy

Bed bugs die at 120+ degree temperatures. Shut off the a/c, and bring a portable space heater. The sauna-like feel of the room will only enhance the "luxury resort" feel of the room. You'll go home from vacation slimmer, your friends will think that you paid thousands for a luxury spa, but only you will be the wiser.

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

Bed bugs die at 120+ degree temperatures. Shut off the a/c, and bring a portable space heater. The sauna-like feel of the room will only enhance the "luxury resort" feel of the room. You'll go home from vacation slimmer, your friends will think that you paid thousands for a luxury spa, but only you will be the wiser.

Brilliant response. :D

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

The good news is they cannot make you stay in a room with them. They need to find you a new room at the level you paid for or upgrade you. Simply check for them before "moving" in. If there are any signs, then go back to the office and have them change your room.

Upvote 0

erstwo

If you're gonna worry about bed bugs, you might as well worry about touching the handrails in every que, or touching the safety bar on every ride. Anything can get you sick. As for bugs, they're a fact of life anywhere.

As stated, the WORST thing that can happen is that you can take them home with you. If they infest your house it can be a financial NIGHTMARE.

The only chemical(s) known to kill off bedbugs immediately were outlawed years ago for their effects on humans. So getting rid of bedbugs in you home will cost THOUSANDS of dollars due to the many, many repeated visits the pest control men must make to your house, the mattresses, curtains, sofas and many other things you have to throw out and replace. Plus it can take months.

Not too many people want to throw away thousands of dollars on pest control and furniture replacement.

But if you have them, you'll shell out the cash to get rid of them. They are nasty little blood s__________g (oops - eating?) creatures who leave red welts all over your body every time they bite you. Not fun at all!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom