I am now a WDW cast member

MKCP 1985

Take advantage of every opportunity to make this a MEMORABLE experience. Your poverty will be short lived in the grand scheme of things, but the people you will meet and the insights you will gain shall make you a wealthy person, if you keep your perspective. :animwink:

Good luck and congrats!

HinunterZuNich

Congrats! Make sure you do your best to stop the ride from breaking down like it did when I was down in August :) LOL.

Of course the FIRST RIDE of the vacation we broke down in the Indiana Jones scene and had to walk through all the scenes before that to the beginning of the ride. It was a fun experience, though we were unable to ride it again that trip :(

CONGRATS!

PhotoDave219

Brian_B said:
Hey all - It is official - I am now among the ranks of the proud cast members of WDW. My College Program check in date was last monday, and the best part is that I was assigned a truly great job. Drum roll please...thank you. From now until january you can find me at the Great Movie Ride as one of those hosts/tour guides/greeters in those funky suspenders, heh. Thanks to Frances I've only had my initial MGM studios training so far - I'm still waiting for the GMR people to get their act together enough to tell me when I'm supposed to train for my role. So in the meantime I was dispatched to Port Orleans Riverside for one night, as a greeter/busboy at the Riverside Mill Restaurant...it was pretty cool, actually.
congrats....... big brother is watching.

Montu

Brian_B said:
Hey all - It is official - I am now among the ranks of the proud cast members of WDW. My College Program check in date was last monday, and the best part is that I was assigned a truly great job. Drum roll please...thank you. From now until january you can find me at the Great Movie Ride

-Brian

It's a cool attraction to work at, as far as the ride goes. Like anything too, it's what you make of it - but just for what it's worth, from someone who spent a year there... Just be weary of the clique-ish environment that the attraction tends to produce backstage. It's just a little uglier than others at times, but if you mind your business, it won't really apply to you... Again, just for what it's worth from someone who's been there :)

-C

PhotoDave219

General Grizz said:
And people wonder why I am so secretive. . . :lookaroun
I know what i can and cant say. I'm allowed to express my opinion. Just nothign confidential. Of corse, knowing theyre watching makes it difficulkt to criticize management....

spaceranger3

Congrats!!!!! That is awesome. I just finished my program at the Movie Ride. You'll have an awesome time there. All the CM's there are like a family. Its probably the best role a cp can get.

tigger248

spaceranger3 said:
Congrats!!!!! That is awesome. I just finished my program at the Movie Ride. You'll have an awesome time there. All the CM's there are like a family. Its probably the best role a cp can get.

And I thought my role on my cp was the best ever! :lol:

I worked frontierland merchandise so I was Splash Trash.

Brian, congratulations on your position! :wave: You're gonna have a great time on your cp. I wish I was still there! Oh well. I will have to look for you when I'm there in November. So if some weird curly haired girl with a weird family who you've never seen before says hi to you between November 10-15, that's me.

Brian_B

Original Poster
Hey everyone, and thank you for the kind words...I started training on friday, and my clique-detector hasn't gone off yet - the people at GMR are truly great, and as far as management is concerned, I haven't met a nicer bunch of people - and I'm not just saying that. I worked for a human resources firm over the summer, so I know how managers are supposed to act - the ones at the GMR have a great comradery going on. I've been privy to bad managers before (curse you, Jill at sharper image!) - these are great people.

Without risking breach of confidentiality, the most I can say is that you guys who haven't actually worked there (and myself until friday morning) have no idea as to the complexity of GMR, the way everything works. I harken back to confucious - the tour guide is a lot like the duck - calm and serene on the surface, while underneath he/she is working furiously to perform his/her function. It's a difficult process with a steep learning curve - to me at this point it's comparable to trying to force smoke into a coke bottle with a baseball bat.

I'm having fun so far - soon i shall be the best Great Movie Ride-r the world has ever known.

Oh, and if you're going by the nametag, mine says "Pennslyvania State Univ." :D

-Brian

MKCP 1985

all right then, don't change that tag between now and October. Hope to see you then!

After a while, it comes together and the bat guides the smoke into the bottle. Then, it's time to go back to school!

LoriMistress

Congrats. When DH and I went on the GMR we saw a car ahead of us and a CM training a new CM on how to do the ride. If that makes sense. :king:

Brian_B

Original Poster
yeah, that makes perfect sense. I was in a similar situation not 2 days ago. But now, an update: I am finished training..my assessment was yesterday. I now have a black belt in Great Movie Ride, and starting tomorrow I'm in full rotation. Now that I have the ride itself pretty much down, it's the OTHER positions that are troublesome...I am the worst at loading guests into the numbered lanes, so if a slightly flustered kid with "Brian" on his nametag puts you in the wrong lane or something, go easy on him! It's maddening, I tells ya!

The ride itself isn't that bad. I try to put effort into it when I do it, and really ACT instead of going through the motions. I do stuff like react to the skeleton on the anubis statue (the skeleton that formerly was a hijacker), etc. Way I see it, if something's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

-Brian

MicBat

Awww... It seems like only yesterday I was checking in, going to Discovery Day, having my first day of training, etc. :( You'll have a BLAST!! I guarantee it! And grouper... You'll definitely get used to that as well! :lol: Are you staying in Vista or Chatham??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom