I Am A Considerate Smoker Tired Of Getting Ragged On By Nonsmokers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsfra209

Original Poster
I am a smoker and I am very cautious about my habit. I am always sure to smoke ONLY in the designated areas, and to be careful that I don't burn anyone with my cigarette or my ashes. I also will not light up if there are children directly next to me (even if they are resting in the smoking area). I think that although it is harmful, it is my right to light up. I also recognize that that because the habit is harmful, it is important to minimize the risk to the non smokers in my area.

With that being said I have to report my disgust with the self righteous non smokers at WDW. You know there have been several times that I have been Yelled at for smoking at the MK, even though I was exactly where I was supposed to be?

As a matter of fact, there was one instance where I was followed from fantasyland to tommorowland, to main street by some nutcase TRYING TO CATCH ME SMOKING because "he saw me light up at the enterance". Now , I am respectful, God fearing, kind, young woman, but had I been smoking at the time of confrontation, I would have totally blown smoke in his face.

It's usually the obnoxious self righteous people that fail to see the fact that the smoker is sitting right in front of the designated "smoking spot" and voice their opinions causing undue discomfort and embarrasment to the smoker.

Everyone has the right to choose, and dont let the inconsiderate people make you look at me like I'm some kind of an a**!

se8472

I am glade you did your part in going to the smoking area, and even making sure not to light up when children are around.

My grandmother smokes and I didn't know it till I was like 13, she never did it around me.

But there are always going to be crazy guest like that, just like there are crazy people in the world. Just know that you did your part and I think that is all that any of us can expect. You should be pround of yourself if you as me.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I think the main issue is that a great many people consider it very harmful to themselves and their family, and they dont want to be anywhere even close to smokers. It evokes strong emotions in people, particularly in public child-friendly places like WDW.

2Infinity

As a Political Science major I've read the Constitution and the Bill of Rights MANY times and I have yet to see any mention of the "right" to smoke anywhere. Of course it does talk of the RIGHT to "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness" which is what most smokers like to latch on to. However, the Supreme Court has been very clear in Schneck vs. US that privileges and freedoms are extended only as much as they do not put the lives of others in jeopardy (i.e.: yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater as in the Schneck case).

For more than 40 years now the Surgeon General of the United States has told us that smoking and secondhand smoke kill. Perhaps these people are concerned for their health and that of others who are subjected to the more than 4,000 chemicals found in secondhand smoke, including nearly 50 of which are known to cause cancer.

Perhaps, too, there are those at WDW who are offended even more since Walt himself died from small cell carcinoma caused directly from his smoking addiction.

Just a thought..... :rolleyes:

Epcot82Guy

Really don't want to get into the law or analysis since my Con Law final is not for another 2 weeks (but then 1/3 of my way to my J.D. :sohappy: ).

Anyway, I might offer this as a statement. I am a non-smoker, so I understand the rights analsis and the emotion. However, I have alot of friends and family that do. I also know that those that follow the rules (as you are doing) are doing just that. I would suggest possibly sending a letter or email to Disney. I know they have taken steps to mark the designated areas, but they are not as clear as could be. Perhaps if people were more aware of the rules (and people following them), this could help stop some of the statements (aside from those that are extremely opinionated). Regardless of any arguments of "It's your choice to smoke so accept the consequences, etc." I don't think Disney is the place to deal with this when you are following the guidelines. Letting them know is the best way to change this, IMHO. Hopefully the rest of your time was still magical!

DisneyPhD

2Infinity said:
As a Political Science major I've read the Constitution and the Bill of Rights MANY times and I have yet to see any mention of the "right" to smoke anywhere. Of course it does talk of the RIGHT to "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness" which is what most smokers like to latch on to. However, the Supreme Court has been very clear in Schneck vs. US that privileges and freedoms are extended only as much as they do not put the lives of others in jeopardy (i.e.: yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater as in the Schneck case).

For more than 40 years now the Surgeon General of the United States has told us that smoking and secondhand smoke kill. Perhaps these people are concerned for their health and that of others who are subjected to the more than 4,000 chemicals found in secondhand smoke, including nearly 50 of which are known to cause cancer.

Perhaps, too, there are those at WDW who are offended even more since Walt himself died from small cell carcinoma caused directly from his smoking addiction.

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Well said.

jsfra209 thank you for your consideration. :sohappy: I do appreiacte it.

What I have to say next may apear harsh, but I don't mean it to be.

Nothing about smoking is considerate or good for you or others. I realize it is YOUR choice. I hope that someday your choice will be for your health, the health of your possible future unborn (or concived children) and your family and friends. Oh, and if you continue to smoke looking like a young women will quicky fad away. (also with out smoking you will have more money for fun things like WDW! :sohappy:

Just some more thoughts.

Iakona

I think you might wantto re-check your Constitution. The exact quote is
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable Rights, among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

The author was Thomas Jefferson and the document is called the Declaration of Independence.

2Infinity said:

Dwarful

I don't smoke, but my father smoked pall mall unfiltered for as long as I can remember. People make choices in their life...and some non smokers will go out of their way to bother smokers...I've witnessed this at a college campus, a mall etc., There are people who feel it is their "destiny in life" to correct the "problems" of others. I.E. people who think that their view on religion is the ONLY view. You are doing all the right things, thats all anyone can ask of you. If more people focused on their family vacation and worried less about who was smoking, pushing big kids in strollers or possible misuse of wheelchairs then the Magic Kingdom (and all of WDW) could be more magical for everyone!

MissM

I also think part of the problem is that there are SO MANY smokers at WDW that just don't give a crap and smoke everywhere, ruining it for everyone.

A lot of the "smoking" areas are right in the walkway so it's sometimes very hard to avoid it.

Many people don't want their children exposed to it, many people have breathing difficulties or sensitivities/allergies and of coures, it can be dangerous for the elderly.

It's a hot-button issue to be sure but the fact is that it's not fair to force something known to be lethal and toxic on people who chose not to be around it. So the "right" to smoke needs to come second to the right of every person to breathe toxin-freen air.

The smoking areas really just don't solve the problem and the rude attitude and overbearing entitlement of so many smokers makes it hard for those who try to be considerate.
-m

Brooke

I don't smoke and I don't really like being around smoke or anything, but as long as people smoke in the designated areas I don't have a problem whatsoever since that's the rules! The only time I would ever have a problem is if someone was smoking in line which has NEVER happened to me at WDW. The only time this happened to me was at the Tower of Terror at DCA. This guy in front of us was smoking and I gave him an evil eye but I was too scared to say anything...Finally when we were about to go into the lobby a CM told him he couldn't smoke and he got all mad and left the line. =/

1disneydood

I smoke and follow the rules. I smoke outside when at home or someone's house. I don't smoke where it isn't allowed. With that said, if someoe wants to get in my face and b**** about me smoking in a designated area, then I'd surely be the guy to tell them where they can go. :kiss:

I spend too much money to take a lashing from a non smoker in the wrong area. "Hey bud, your section is 99.9% of the park. Get out of mine or smell my butt."

...cigarette butt that is ;)

Iakona

notnothin, thank you.

notnothin said:
That was uncalled for.

2infinity, I didn't miss the point, you failed to make it by quoting a passage from the Declaration as Constitutional Law. If you are going to start out a position with "as a Political Science Major" then please be accurate. I happen to have a Bachelors and Master's degree in PoliSci and am taking my comprehensive exams in the fall for my PhD.

I have no idea what being a Patriots fan has to do with it, but after a very long wait and 3 Super Bowls please feel free to criticize the Pats and their fans all you want.<O:p

<O:p

As for the issue that began the thread I thank those smokers that adhere to the designated areas. Unless smoking becomes completely illegal or Disney decides to ban it altogether (which they are within their rights to do) then the designated areas are the best compromise available.<O:p

Personally I cannot stand cigarette smoke and avoid the areas. Only once when I was in WDW in January did I see a CM direct (politely) a smoker outside a designated area to the correct location. I think if WDW was a little more diligent is directing the smokers that ignore these areas then there would be less animosity towards the smokers.<O:p

I have always looked at it like this: It is your choice to smoke, but your choice should not pollute my lungs or my child’s. If smokers stay in their area we will avoid it and we both would be content. The only people that will not be content are those that have to be right and have to force their righteousness on everyone else.<O:p

donsullivan

Premium Member
I'm a lifetime non-smoker in a family of smokers. I'll acknowledge up front that I tend to be hypersensitive to the smell of cigarette smoke. Not that it makes me sick, or I start wheezing or anything like that, I just notice it very quickly.

I too have been frustrated by some smoking patterns at MK over the last year. I'm not sure I understand some of the locations that Disney chose as smoking areas in the parks. Since I haven't looked at a guidemap in years I only know where 2 of them are because I encounter them regularly.

The one behind Cinderella Castle heading toward Liberty Square is the one that always frustrates me. The moment you exit the castle you get hit with it. Since the prevailing winds push the smoke right from that area across the back of the castle. Then, if my destination will take me down that path, it's like running a gauntlet to get through the volume of people and the cloud of smoke (I know it's a bit of an exagerration but to a non-smoker it can sometimes feel like that). That's sort of when I get frustrated when a path in the park is made uncomfortable to pass if you would like to avoid the smoke.

While I personally would prefer it, I don't expect Disney to completely ban smoking in the parks. At this time in history that would clearly be unreasonable and I completely understand that. However, there has got to be a way that the smoking areas can be a little more out of the general pathways so as not to disrupt or disturb the general flow of guests. The reality is when you put it in any sort of a path, it's not like everyone just sits near the side, they mill around in the area so you simply can't avoid it when passing through.

Boo's Mom

I don't smoke, I cannot stand the smell. I don't have a problem with smokers as long as they are considerate of those around them. At VCU, we have posters up all over the classrooms that says "70% of VCU students don't smoke." That is bull. The campus is overloaded with smokers and all of them are inconsiderate. I cannot stand it. I come home smelling like cigs and I don't smoke and I get headaches everyday from being stuck behind a pack of smokers in a crowd with no way around. They are college kids so telling them to let me by to get away from the smoke won't help. They don't even have sense enough to stop for cars when the cars have the green light. They could care less if they get run over. If people want to smoke, more power to them. I just have a problem with those who could care less about those around them.

jsfra209, I applaude you for being considerate of others around you. We need more smokers like you, not the inconsiderate ones at VCU. :wave:

Woody13

Iakona said:
2infinity, I didn't miss the point, you failed to make it by quoting a passage from the Declaration as Constitutional Law.<O:p

Yeah Iakona, you're right! :wave: I agree with you.

I think he/she was referring to Section One of the 14th Amendment, which reads: "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States, nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property without due process of law, or deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

However, I don't really think that a total smoking ban at Disney or anywhere else is going to become a constitutional issue. Not too many years ago, smoking was allowed most anywhere in the USA. Heck, in California you could even smoke in a movie theater as long as you were seated on the aisle. However, the culture has changed and by steady incremental prohibition smoking has been declining. The slow but steady elimination of smoking started on short international flights, and led to California's outright ban of smoking indoors. Florida has followed a similar route.

So, a total smoking ban (indoor and outdoor) at WDW will happen in time. It's just an incremental process. Perhaps Bob Iger will lead the way.

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
First I wanted to ask if this response is being seen. I have been having some problems with my posts, so I wanted to make sure that issue has been resolved. Could someone let me know please? Then I'll make my comments on this issue.

Thanks,

Brian

Stellajack

Premium Member
RE: smoking and obnoxious people

jsfra209-I have not smoked in 10 years, but let me say that when I smoked, I, too, always tried to be courteous and considerate of those in my surroundings. I also disliked the "selfrighteous nonsmoker" and promised that if I ever stopped smoking, I would not have that attitude. Well, I failed at that! Since the last time I smoked, I have detested the smell of cigarette smoke. :hurl: GO figure! The odor is so irritating that I will definitely take a big detour to avoid it. I'm sorry you encountered someone so rude, but rest assured that others probably had similar encounters with that person in other circumstances aside from "smoking". Just wanted to say that the last time I was in MK, I saw a CM telling 2 smokers ,who were outside the designated area, that they would have to put their cigarettes out and then followed them for a minute or so. :lookaroun

tk421-sw

Im only 17, so I don't smoke, (Not that some of mine friends don't :hammer: ) but I am only upset when people smoke while walking around the park. Thoigh we had someone smoking while in line for a ride, which is not a good thing to do. And I never rag on people if they are smoking in the right area. No biggie, though not sure while they designated that nice seating area down by the water at MK, but we will leave this out of this. Anyway, I think that there are some people that just make it bad for others. I'm sorry you are getting this, but some people mess up things for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom