I Am A Considerate Smoker Tired Of Getting Ragged On By Nonsmokers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shakes20

UncleJeet said:
But it does, doesn't it? Isn't that sort of the foundation of all science? When study after study has shown that secondhand smoke is not a carcinogen, does not contain allergens, and is generally a pretty benign pollutant, that probably means that it never will be the noxious and deadly fume that so many people want to believe it is.

You see, it's not just that "Secondhand Smoke Will Kill You" isn't written on paper as truth, but that "Secondhand Smoke Is Stinky And Annoying, But In The End Is Pretty Harmless" IS written on paper after paper after paper. The only papers that have "It'll Kill Ya" written on it are either based off of faulty research or pure speculation and anecdotal "evidence" - ie, not evidence at all.
I really don't want to fan the flames of this debate, but just to give a balanced look at the issue I would point you to an article published by WebMD that discusses these studies that show there is no danger posed by secondhand smoke:

"Researchers reported in the Journal of the American Medical Association in 1998 that 75% of studies done between 1980 and 1995 that found no link between secondhand smoke and health problems were funded by tobacco companies. In that review, researchers examined 106 studies conducted in those 15 years; two in three indicated secondhand smoke does contribute to lung and heart disease.

"...there are at least 50 very reputable studies that find a link between secondhand smoke and lung cancer and at least 50 others that find an increased risk of heart disease," says Thun. "

The report can be found here: http://my.webmd.com/content/article/64/72529.htm?z=1837_00000_0000_ep_01

UncleJeet

shakes20 said:
I really don't want to fan the flames of this debate, but just to give a balanced look at the issue I would point you to an article published by WebMD that discusses these studies that show there is no danger posed by secondhand smoke:
There are no flames to fan, at least not on my end. I'm enjoying the discussion, when there is a rational post to respond to. I'll check out your link in a bit, and I'm sure I'll find it informative. I've no doubt that secondhand smoke makes people with conditions that are aggrivated by it extremely miserable, and I also agree that if smoking is to be allowed indoors in its own section, it should have its own ventilation system. The debate point I'm making is that banning smoking altogether, specifically outdoors, is ludicrous. Take an air quality sample without secondhand smoke in it, then take another with a smoker 10 yards away and I doubt you'll find that the tobacco smoke has contributed much to the much worse pollutants already floating around in the air.

In other words, I'm arguing perceived danger vs. real danger as well as regulating behavior.

Oh, I should point out that the study I cited earlier was commissioned by the city of Boston (if I remember correctly) when it was pushing for a citywide smoking ban, and the results came back contradictory. The city ended up passing the bill anyway, from what I recall.

Gucci65

I can't believe no one else on here thought the bumper sticker was funny! :hammer: Must be my warped sense of humor.

Heather - does Boo have health related probs from your Grannies smokes?

Boo's Mom

Gucci65 said:
I can't believe no one else on here thought the bumper sticker was funny! :hammer: Must be my warped sense of humor.

Heather - does Boo have health related probs from your Grannies smokes?

So far no, but I'm sure he will eventually. He's only been here at this house since October. I'm suprised it hasn't since birds have such sensitive immune systems. I think it hasn't effected him yet because she doesn't smoke near my room because she knows I hate it but I'm sure I bring some of the smoke in from the rest of the house through my clothes. I cannot wait until the day when I can get my own place but that won't be anytime soon.

UncleJeet

Boo's Mom said:
I think it hasn't effected him yet because she doesn't smoke near my room because she knows I hate it but I'm sure I bring some of the smoke in from the rest of the house through my clothes.
Are you suggesting that wisps of smoke lie dormant on your clothing, waiting to reemerge and go floating back into the air some time after you return to your room?

shakes20

UncleJeet said:
There are no flames to fan, at least not on my end. I'm enjoying the discussion, when there is a rational post to respond to. I'll check out your link in a bit, and I'm sure I'll find it informative. I've no doubt that secondhand smoke makes people with conditions that are aggrivated by it extremely miserable, and I also agree that if smoking is to be allowed indoors in its own section, it should have its own ventilation system. The debate point I'm making is that banning smoking altogether, specifically outdoors, is ludicrous. Take an air quality sample without secondhand smoke in it, then take another with a smoker 10 yards away and I doubt you'll find that the tobacco smoke has contributed much to the much worse pollutants already floating around in the air.

In other words, I'm arguing perceived danger vs. real danger as well as regulating behavior.

Oh, I should point out that the study I cited earlier was commissioned by the city of Boston (if I remember correctly) when it was pushing for a citywide smoking ban, and the results came back contradictory. The city ended up passing the bill anyway, from what I recall.
Thank you for your considerate response. I agree, when there are civil discussions of the issues, it is fun to debate. Ultimately I feel the way that my father does- "Facts don't lie, liars use facts." You can look at all of the studies that you want and the truth will probably be found somwhere in the middle.
Again let me stress how much I appreciate your comments (even if I don't agree with all of them). :)

Boo's Mom

UncleJeet said:
Are you suggesting that wisps of smoke lie dormant on your clothing, waiting to reemerge and go floating back into the air some time after you return to your room?

After walking through my living room or the kitchen, my clothes do smell like smoke.I'm not saying that the wisps of smoke will "float" back into the air but you can smell the smoke when you are beside me. When I hold Boo, he is most likely inhaling the smoke stench from my clothes. My aunt makes the comment all the time when I get into the car that I smell like cigarette smoke. my grandfather is blind and doesn't know my grandmother smokes so when he smells the cig. smoke from my clothes, he tells me to quit smoking. I smell like a walking cigarette because of my nanny's smoking habit.

Its the smell that I bring back and since birds have a sensitive immune system, the smell of cigarette smoke could harm him. I cannot use nail polish removers, nail polish or chemicals around him because of that. We also cannot have teflon pans in the house because the burning of teflon is deadly to birds and once they inhale the smell of heated teflon, there is no turning back and nothing you can do about it. Even though cig. smoke cannot harm him as quickly as teflon can, over a period of time it could. I've been living here for almost 14 years and over the course of 14 years, I've developed severe sinus problems, severe headaches, and pneumonia every year.

barnum42

MissM said:
I also think part of the problem is that there are SO MANY smokers at WDW that just don't give a crap and smoke everywhere, ruining it for everyone.
I think this is the main problem.

One of our CM board members recently related the tale of informing a smoker where the designated area is only to have smoke blown in their face and told "whatever". It's these inconsiderate %#~@s that tar all smokers with the same brush. I am thankful to all the considerate smokers who are good enough to wait until they are in a designated area before lighting up. If someone is upset at the location of the designated area, take the matter up with Disney not the smoker using the area.

Regarding the "myths" that second hand smoke is or is not harmful (depending on whether the research is funded by the tobacco industry or not ;) ) - Personally I have found that avoiding smoky environments has made my asthma symptoms far less. If I am in a pub or club filled with tobacco smoke I have to reach for my inhaler. I don't need to read a report to put two and two together and see what the catalyst is.

Dwarful

WOW. this is a heated debate. but honestly I don't see why us non smokers should be trying to rule the lives of the smokers. If Disney says "smoke here" and they do, then let them smoke in peace. NOW, if they are walking down mainstreet with a lit cigarette near a childs face, then I'd speak up loud and clear!

My father smoked pall mall unfiltered, enjoyed Budweiser beer and the occasional Boilermaker (typical union plumber), but my brother, sister, myself and mother have come away unscathed....maybe we've been lucky. Either way, when we are at Disney we focus on having fun with our family.

Raven66

Dwarful said:
WOW. this is a heated debate. but honestly I don't see why us non smokers should be trying to rule the lives of the smokers. If Disney says "smoke here" and they do, then let them smoke in peace. NOW, if they are walking down mainstreet with a lit cigarette near a childs face, then I'd speak up loud and clear!

Well said!!

My mom has smoked for years and years. None of us kids have suffered any ill effects. I wish my mom would stop smoking for health reasons, but she is an adult and can do what she likes. When she goes to Disney with us, she sits in the smoking section. I have sat in there with her and to be honest they make it as uncomfortable as possible. There is maybe two benches and the signs are small so they are hard to see. But I have also noticed that the walkways are big enough where you don't have to walk thru the smoke. I think some people just want some thing to complain about. Yes you are on vacation so you shouldn't have to smell it etc. But they are on vacation as well and their money is just as green as yours. Get over it. There is people out there that wear the most god awful perfume or cologne and as soon as I get near it my eyes water and my throat starts itching. Should I follow them around and tell them how much their perfume or cologne is bothering me? They should stop wearing it because I don't like it? :rolleyes:

If they are in the smoking area leave them alone!!! If not then you have every right to tell them to please stop.

And whoever said they hate smokers, isn't that a little harsh? I can see hating the smoke, smell and what not, but hating a person because of an addiction?

Ok end of rant. Everyone have a good day!! :wave:

DisneyPhD

To the folks to say "it is worse at other places, Cedar point, US, IOA" I would have to agree with you. That is part of the reason I don't go to those other places as much. That is working for Disney getting the $ of the people who don't want to be around smoke.

I agree with who said that WDW will ban all smoking in 10 years, it will just take a while (it was so many pages back I forget who said it, sorry.)

We just got back from WDW, and my friend had her sister come with us, who does (did) smoke. She quit on this trip. She could not bare for her Nephews to see her smoking. It wasn't easy. I don't think she has gone back.

wolverine4disne

1disneydood said:
I hate that it has to come to this, just from where WDW decided to put the smoking area. I'm considerate there, but I still really don't care what anyone there says. It's all just blah blah blah to me if I'm in smoking area.

We should have a special area away from everything. Like a completely empty 30 ft road leading to a dead end which has benches, ashtryas, and music at the end. A big S M O K I N G A R E A sign posted at the beginning of the road and all the way down. That way if a non smoker comes over and complains, it's their problem for being there. :kiss:

I wish I could quit, I hate it myself. But after everything else I've quit since my mispent youth, smoking isn't that bad compared. I've come a looong way. :lookaroun

Hello, I've been lurking on this board for a few months, but finally registered because of this thread. I just want to say that if any of you are saying "I wish I could stop smoking", then please do so. I just lost my Father to lung cancer 2 weeks ago. He smoked for 50 years, and when he found out he had lung cancer 5 months ago, he was shocked and terrified. He immediatly stopped smoking, and said how he wished he had stopped sooner. Unfortunately, it was too late. The doctors were optimistic, so Dad went through chemo and radiation. Unfortunately, Dad went down hill in the last month of his life. He went from a vibrant person who loved to fish and garden, to someone who had to be carried from the bed to the bathroom. I will forever be haunted by what I saw in my Dad's last days. My entire family is heart broken over the painful way that my Dad died. I cannot believe how bad a human being can suffer with cancer. If any of you are thinking of stopping, please do so. I would never want someone else to die the way my Father did. In fact, I have my Dad's last pack of cigarettes as a reminder that smoking kills.

I also want to add that all of the literature we received from the American Cancer Society states that you can get lung cancer, asthma and emphasima from second hand smoke, and latest research indicates a link between breast cancer and second hand smoke. I mention this not because I don't want you all to smoke in the parks. I mention this for the sake of your loved ones.
Sorry about rambling, but I'm still emotional over the loss of my Dad.

Raven66

wolverine4disne said:
Hello, I've been lurking on this board for a few months, but finally registered because of this thread. I just want to say that if any of you are saying "I wish I could stop smoking", then please do so. I just lost my Father to lung cancer 2 weeks ago. He smoked for 50 years, and when he found out he had lung cancer 5 months ago, he was shocked and terrified. He immediatly stopped smoking, and said how he wished he had stopped sooner. Unfortunately, it was too late. The doctors were optimistic, so Dad went through chemo and radiation. Unfortunately, Dad went down hill in the last month of his life. He went from a vibrant person who loved to fish and garden, to someone who had to be carried from the bed to the bathroom. I will forever be haunted by what I saw in my Dad's last days. My entire family is heart broken over the painful way that my Dad died. I cannot believe how bad a human being can suffer with cancer. If any of you are thinking of stopping, please do so. I would never want someone else to die the way my Father did. In fact, I have my Dad's last pack of cigarettes as a reminder that smoking kills.

I also want to add that all of the literature we received from the American Cancer Society states that you can get lung cancer, asthma and emphasima from second hand smoke, and latest research indicates a link between breast cancer and second hand smoke. I mention this not because I don't want you all to smoke in the parks. I mention this for the sake of your loved ones.

Welcome and I'm so very sorry for your loss.

My mom has tried to quit several times. She was diagnosed with diabetes and told she had to quit smoking and lose weight. But it is an addiction and no amount of badgering, nagging or tormenting is going to change that. She has done the gum and the patch. Cold turkey (we begged her to have one after a week of that :lookaroun ) After smoking for 50 years it's just not that easy. Most of the smokers I know, don't like the smell, or the taste or the way their teeth and wrinkles make them look, but it is a habit!! Pure and simple. I bite my nails. I don't like the way they look and sometimes they hurt, but it's a habit that I can't seem to break. I know I can't die from biting my nails, but I was just trying to show that habits are hard to break.

wannabeBelle

wolverine4disne said:

my deepest condolences to you and your family for your loss. I understand, I have lost 2 Aunts to lung cancer and I guarantee you that it will be the death of my Mother as well ( Genetics working against ya, I tell ya!!!) Smoking is far more than a habit it is an addiction. Tobacco is an addictive substance and here in the USA, chemicals ( over 600 as per the a science center in NJ) are added to make the cigarettes taste better, allow you to inhale more, and be more addictive than they would be normally!!! I truly feel that "spiking" a cigarette like that should be illegal but that is a conversation for another time. As far as the orginal poster, I understand your dilemma. I agree that you are consderate and try to not allow your smoking to impact on others and I thank you for that. You however are in the EXTREME minority there. One of my friends who I go to Disney with pretty often is the same as you, bt most people are rude, dirty and inconsiderate about it. Belle

UncleJeet

wannabeBelle said:
You however are in the EXTREME minority there. One of my friends who I go to Disney with pretty often is the same as you, bt most people are rude, dirty and inconsiderate about it. Belle
I have to disagree here. Yes, there is a person smoking outside of the designated areas on occasion, but by far most of the people I see smoking in the parks are in the proper areas. Unless you routinely see more people, in total, smoking outside of the areas than in, then your conclusion is incorrect. Let's say you see a dozen(!) people in one day who are smoking outside of the areas, but if you looked in the areas and kept count, you'd see far more than a dozen people throughout the day. Therefore, not only is he not in the minority, but the EXTREME is going more than overboard.*

*All of this is based on all of my trips to the parks, which are considerable in number. Your mileage may, of course, vary and your impressions could very well be accurate based upon your experience. Based upon mine, however - which is all that I have to go on - it's not quite right.

Chape19714

As a non-smoker (I'm not old enough), I USED to be totally discusted with the habit, but now in my somewhat older age, I am used to it, and realized it is a person's individual choice to take up the habbit. I have no problem with people smoking in the designated areas. I know people who smoke, and it does not bother me anymore. Once you start, it is addicting. Like previously stated, it's like biting your nails, which is a habbit I have, you can't stop, and yes, it does hurt. As long as it's legal, and it's done in the right place, I don't mind it at all.

wdworbust

As the mother of an asthmatic, I absolutely abhor smoking. If you can keep your smoke contained in your smoking area, then you are a "considerate smoker".

Don't get me wrong, there are places where I will stay away from, without complaint, where I know my children will be exposed to second-hand smoke, from restaurants, to the homes of family members who smoke. I should not have to add Disney World to that list.

wannabeBelle

Actually I havent had all that much of a problem in the parks I was speaking in general life. Sorry to have been unclear!!!! Belle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom