I’m a damsel, I’m in distress – I can handle it. (PRE-trip report for May 1 – 9, 2010

I’m a damsel, I’m in distress – I can handle it (PRE-trip report for May 1 – 9, 2010)

Hello Disney fans of all ages!

My name is Kenzie, and I’ve been kicking around here for awhile now.. these blue boards have been a huge distraction for me during my second year of university. Totally worth it, though.. you’re all very knowledgeable Disney enthusiasts, and I’ve learned a lot!

And now it’s time for my very own pre-trip/trip report combo.
I’m a talker, so things can get a little draggy. Sorry in advance. I’ll try to make it a good time for anyone willing to read the entire thing, hahah.

I suppose one theme of this magical trip will be girl power (hence the Meg quote as title). The Cast comprises solely of four fabulous university girls. One might say we’re *celebrating* being half way done our undergraduate degrees.. a little bit of a stretch, but it’s still exciting!

There’s Lauren. She’s 19, an aspiring teacher who is majoring in geography, and rocking history as a minor (same university as me). She’s been to the World twice – once in grade 8, and she came with my family (and I) for a graduation trip in grade 12. Easily identified by her ‘mane’.. her hair is very easy to spot in a crowd.

Paige is next. Also 19, rocks the same university as Laur and I, and is a biology major. She’s a Disney newbie, but an extremely enthusiastic one. She opted for this trip over a voyage to the Dominican with her family.. good choice, you can see why I like her.

Erica, too, is 19. She goes to St. FX though, and is prone to ‘X is DYNAMITE’.. don’t mind her, X is a cult. (She’s working on her Nutrition degree.) Also a noob, Erica is not quite sure what to expect (nor does Pai for that matter).

And, finally, moi. Kenzie, I’ll be 20 (if you’ve been keeping score, you’ll have noticed that I’m the only 20 year old which is kind of giving me a complex). Doing my undergrad in Psychology (with French and Sociology minors). I’ve been to Disney enough times that my family has given up counting.. and that’s just the way we like it (they left bright and early this morning, actually, while I’m stuck with midterms).

paigerica.jpg
LaurI.jpg

Paige + Erica ---------------------------------------> Lauren and I
disgirls.jpg

Sadly, the nicest picture we managed to get over Christmas of the 4 of us.

Now, I’ve just mentioned that Paige, Lauren, and I go to the same university. It’s the #1 undergrad in the country. 10,000 TSM points to the person who can name that university!

So you’ve met us.. cute bunch, ‘eh? We all grew up in the same town (of about 4000 people) in rural Nova Scotia. Canadians (hence the ‘eh’ seen above). We’re all about class, not going to lie.. and by ‘class’ I mean we’ll be dancing along Main Street USA, enjoying the streetmosphere with all the 7 and 8 year olds. We love kids, because we’re right on the same level as them.

Our trip begins early on the 1st of May (49 - days from now!). We fly out at 7AM, transfer in Toronto, and hit MCO around 1PM. We’re going to be exhausted.. but once we see those magnificent gates the world will be right again! Hitching a ride on the ME, and hopefully everything gets to where we want it as scheduled. We’re going to lay low for a little while, recover by the pool (work on the base tan, yeahh?), and then head to Hollywood Studios.

Now, I have a confession to make, I was the one that originally made this tentative schedule. I took full advantage, and decided that we should hit HS first as it is my favourite. However, I cited the fact that Fantasmic is playing that night as the reason and everyone bought it.. except Lauren, she knows me too well. Who cares, Tower in 49 days!

The next day (May 2ND) is EMH at Magic Kingdom (until 1AM), so we’ve penciled a morning at Animal Kingdom into the slot. Morning and afternoon, I should say. We’ll be there for opening at 9AM, hit everything we want and need (gotta see the shows!) and then head back to the hotel. We’re hoping for some more downtime by the pool, because I fully believe in taking advantage of EMH.. which means that we WILL be at MK until 1AM (Spectromagic and Wishes that night as well).

May 3RD takes us to Future World in the morning. This is not a true EPCOT day, as Lauren and I agreed that we could split it up and not lose any of its appeal. We’ll hit the rides and bail.. with the promise of returning the next day. Late night at Hollywood Studios until 10PM.. we’re hoping to get to Downtown Disney in between the parks, but if it doesn’t happen we’ll squeeze it in somewhere else. Late night Tower runs trump shopping in my books. Sadly, no fireworks.

Up and at it for Magic Kingdom on May 4TH. Up and at it means for 9AM though... hardly any early morning hours that we’re able to take advantage of. No big deal, we all function better on a good night’s sleep (the alarm will still be going off around 7:30 so we can shower). Post-MK stops, we’ll be heading over to EPCOT for World Showcase and any other rides we want to re-do. I love around the world! Lots of pictures to come, I promise.. including princesses (I told you we were 7 at heart!). Illuminations that night.

The last day, the 5TH, has been strategically left open. We’re not sure what we’ll want to hit again, or what fireworks we’ll want to redo. Everything’s possible, including a morning shopping trip to DTD or hitting all 4 parks in one day. Gotta love a hopper and fabulous planning skills. Any ideas?
You’ll notice that I said ‘the last day’.. how, you may ask, could it be their last day at the parks when their trip goes until the 9TH?! There’s a good answer to that..

The Disney Wonder. Yes, we have been saving for about two years to do this trip, and so.. we participate in the whole shebang. The 6th we sail away for the 3 night, 4 day cruise. I have done this cruise twice with the family, but I don’t remember it very well as I was 13 years old the last time we went (since then, my parents have gone twice, and so have my grandparents – livin’ the life!). We’re all extremely excited, especially Paige and Erica, who are most excited for this portion of the trip.. likely because with a ‘cruise’ you know what to expect, whereas WDW is a little elusive until you’ve seen it.

We come back on the 9TH, getting into Halifax International around 11PM, and then the long trek home.

Feuf. This is long. You guys are probably tired of hearing from me, my bad. However, there are a few more little tidbits that you should be aware of before I sign off:

A) We have decided that we won’t be eating elaborately on the parks. We have no ADRs, and don’t plan on doing a real sit down meal at all.. I know for a lot of you the food is one of the main events, but I eat for fuel, and we’ve decided that the food on the ship will more than make up for our lack of good meals over the first 5 days.

B) We will be participating in a game. I remember a few months ago there was a thread about the games everyone plays while in line/walking around, and this is ours: The winking game. The name says it all.. While perusing AK, MK, HS, and EPCOT we will be winking at random males (approximately our age). You score points depending on the level of acknowledgement from said male. The point system goes as follows:
- 1 POINT: A smile
- 2 POINTS: ‘The nod’ – you all know ‘the nod’, right?
- 3 POINTS: A wink in return
Trick is, someone in the group needs to see it or you do not get the points. You do not get points for a ‘double take’. Essentially, you are walking in a group, someone calls a guy, and you try to nonchalantly watch without creeping him out. The game is, however, by definition creepy. It’s especially good when you run into your victims later in the day. I will provide you with the final tally ;) hhaha.

C) I am a ‘person’ picture kind of girl. I like people in my pictures of ‘stuff’.. something my mother has passed on to me. Likely, if you read my trip report when I get back, there won’t be many pictures of buildings and etc without people in them. I apologize in advance.

That’s all! You guys rock =) Hit me with some feedback!

cdunbar

You're going to have lots on fun on your "girl power" trip, everytime I go I go with my best friend and even though we know each other very, very well we learn more about each other everytime we take these kind of trips, so I hope the same goes for you! :animwink:

harveyt0206

Your trip sounds wonderful!! I went to Disney with my best best friends when I was 20 too and it was a blast. (I am now the wise ole' age of 38. My how time flies.)

I love the idea of doing a WDW/cruise combo.

Looking forward to your post trip report. :wave:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Not sure which University you attend, since St. FX was rated number one primarily Undergraduate University in Canada for the last few years:

Maclean's ranks StFX Canada's best primarily undergraduate university for fifth straight year

ANTIGONISH, NS - For the fifth straight year, St. Francis Xavier University was ranked the number one primarily undergraduate university in Canada by Maclean's magazine. The magazine released its annual university rankings on Thursday, November 2.

:shrug:

tiaragirl

Original Poster
Not sure which University you attend, since St. FX was rated number one primarily Undergraduate University in Canada for the last few years:

:shrug:

UM. That's wrong. Way wrong. X was ranked 4th this year (making it *NOT* dynamite).

Where did you find that?

Mount Allison, yoo. For the third year straight.

Sarah Rae

Sounds like it will be a fun trip! I'm also a 19 year old, Canadian university student and my (family) trip is planned for May 2-10. What a wonderful way for all of us to forget about the stress of exams!

tiaragirl

Original Poster
Sounds like it will be a fun trip! I'm also a 19 year old, Canadian university student and my (family) trip is planned for May 2-10. What a wonderful way for all of us to forget about the stress of exams!

That's too cool! Exams are awful.. but 49 (and 50 for you) days until awesomeness!

margot2791

Your trip sounds awesome! I cannot wait to hear how it goes. I am also 19 and have been wanting to do a "girl power" trip for awhile. I hope you all have a ton of fun and good luck with the game;)

plaz10

sounds like a great trip! I'm a psych major w/a sociology minor too, but I'm graduating this spring (hence my celebration graduation trip at the end of may with my boyfriend)

I'm sure you will have so much fun! Good luck with the creepin' on some boys too! Hope you win!

Uncle Lupe

Guy's are suckers. That game will have some high scores and angry girlfriends if they are caught winking back. Try to take a picture of a face palm guy, makes for an instant classic in a trip report. :lol:

tiaragirl

Original Poster
sounds like a great trip! I'm a psych major w/a sociology minor too, but I'm graduating this spring (hence my celebration graduation trip at the end of may with my boyfriend)

I'm sure you will have so much fun! Good luck with the creepin' on some boys too! Hope you win!

Aw, congrats! My boyfriend is hesitant to Disney with me.. he is definitely not as big a fan as I am!

Any concentration on a specific kind of Psyc? Still trying to figure out what I want to do..

Guy's are suckers. That game will have some high scores and angry girlfriends if they are caught winking back. Try to take a picture of a face palm guy, makes for an instant classic in a trip report. :lol:

We actually had a hard time last trip! Scores were VERY low. Gotta get practicing for effective winks ;)

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
We actually had a hard time last trip! Scores were VERY low. Gotta get practicing for effective winks ;)
Don't limit yourselves to guys "your age"... :lookaroun

We Dirty Old Men are always happy to wink back! :lol:

HollyBelle

Hi Kenzie... I got all caught up in the excitement as I read about your plans. I'm super excited to read your trip report (especially the cruise part) when you return. It sounds like we're going to be in for some really fun pictures! We'll be cruising that week as well, on the Emerald Princess. Maybe we'll see you at one of the ports. :lol:

tiaragirl

Original Poster
Don't limit yourselves to guys "your age"... :lookaroun

We Dirty Old Men are always happy to wink back! :lol:

Awww, Monty. You're Canadian, so you can't be dirty :) Unless, of course, you're from Sydney. But we won't go there.

I will, however, keep that in mind if I'm getting desperate for points, hahahhaa.

Hi Kenzie... I got all caught up in the excitement as I read about your plans. I'm super excited to read your trip report (especially the cruise part) when you return. It sounds like we're going to be in for some really fun pictures! We'll be cruising that week as well, on the Emerald Princess. Maybe we'll see you at one of the ports. :lol:

I'll do my best to please with the pictures! =) Have a great cruise!

I'll be there the same time... So if I catch somebody winking at me, I'll know who it is!

Yes! And if it's me (the one with the shorter curly brown hair), give me a solid 3 point wink back ;) Hehhe.

plaz10

Aw, congrats! My boyfriend is hesitant to Disney with me.. he is definitely not as big a fan as I am!

Any concentration on a specific kind of Psyc? Still trying to figure out what I want to do..

My boyfriend is not as big of a fan as me either. The first trip we went was with my family and the 2nd was just us. He liked that better (obvi) but he does not get into meeting any characters or the "kiddie" rides as he refers to them (IASW, Peter Pan, etc...) This trip I think what put him over the edge was the dining. I got a PIN for free QS so with an upgrade we would get to eat some great meals (I'm like you, I usually only eat for fuel...but I want to try some of these great restaurants I hear about on here)

I'm looking into something in the healthcare field (well I was before this ridiculous reform) so maybe something in a hospital. Let me tell you know, grad school is the way to go with psych - will make finding a job much easier! I personally can't handle any more school right now...but maybe later on! Good luck to you!

tiaragirl

Original Poster
I'm looking into something in the healthcare field (well I was before this ridiculous reform) so maybe something in a hospital. Let me tell you know, grad school is the way to go with psych - will make finding a job much easier! I personally can't handle any more school right now...but maybe later on! Good luck to you!

I don't know if I can hack doing my honours next year/the year after. The plan right now is do to a double minor instead.. French and Sociology. I don't want to write a thesis! I don't know if I can handle it. I love children, so I'm looking into something with kiddies.

Good luck to you as well! =) I'm sure the reform won't affect your job opportunities *that* much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom