Hyperion Wharf: any news?

raven

There must be a sickness running through the team in charge of DTD cause for the life of me I can't figure why there is such a lack of thought and inventiveness.

Hyperion Warf is dead. But hopefully it won't be too long before the new concept "springs" to life. :)

John

Hyperion Warf is dead. But hopefully it won't be too long before the new concept "springs" to life. :)

With news like this from Raven, it makes the whole PI situation that more obsurd. I mean really, is there anyone working on this at all? How can this just sit idol for three plus years? At the very least in the time PI has sat, we seen the building and opening of Potterland, Carsland, A major Fl expansion, Legoland a New resort (AA) just to name a few and they still cant come up with a plan for this area....Really?

raven

With news like this from Raven, it makes the whole PI situation that more obsurd. I mean really, is there anyone working on this at all? How can this just sit idol for three plus years? At the very least in the time PI has sat, we seen the building and opening of Potterland, Carsland, A major Fl expansion, Legoland a New resort (AA) just to name a few and they still cant come up with a plan for this area....Really?

Oh there have been plans, LOTS of them. To guests it seems nothing is going on. But in reality there is a lot going on. These things sometimes take years to develops. Rest assured, work IS happening.

John

From you this gives me hope, So I can assume there is a plan in place. Is there any kind of time table? Raven, you know of the frustration from the PI fanboi club. DO we have a reason to be optomistic in seeing any resemblence of what was....

raven

From you this gives me hope, So I can assume there is a plan in place. Is there any kind of time table? Raven, you know of the frustration from the PI fanboi club. DO we have a reason to be optomistic in seeing any resemblence of what was....

Yes, a finalization of a plan is taking place. Unfortunately I do not know time frames. But since we are talking about retail development, understand that getting contracts from vendors takes quite some time. They could go ahead and build ow what they are planning but until the vendor contacts are in place, those stores would be empty when they open. Not exactly the type of grand opening Disney wants.

John

I would think that if they deep six the HW idea and came upp with something else....it better be BIG. I dont think there is any egg left to on TDO's corporate face at this point. I agee it does take time to develop these kinds of additions but here we have had multible plans since its closeing.

If it turns out to be some polished up plan to simply expand the Disney Mall theme I will be sorely dissapointed. Do I think we will have PI 2.0? NO but what we do need is something exciting for this area. Not just another Abercrombie and Fitch.

John

Yes, a finalization of a plan is taking place. Unfortunately I do not know time frames. But since we are talking about retail development, understand that getting contracts from vendors takes quite some time. They could go ahead and build ow what they are planning but until the vendor contacts are in place, those stores would be empty when they open. Not exactly the type of grand opening Disney wants.

Just the notion of it being "outside vendors" dosnt get me that excited. There is very little that hasnt been done on the retail side of things. I think DTD has the retail side of the experience already covered. What the area needs is somekind of Entertainment.

raven

I would think that if they deep six the HW idea and came upp with something else....it better be BIG. I dont think there is any egg left to on TDO's corporate face at this point. I agee it does take time to develop these kinds of additions but here we have had multible plans since its closeing.

If it turns out to be some polished up plan to simply expand the Disney Mall theme I will be sorely dissapointed. Do I think we will have PI 2.0? NO but what we do need is something exciting for this area. Not just another Abocrombie and Fitch.

No A & F in this area. And they are getting away from the "mall" look so no worries. It's going to be a more unique and relaxing shopping experience. Yes, there will be a few more dining experiences added that are upbeat but the overall area will be much different than it is now.

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
No A & F in this area. And they are getting away from the "mall" look so no worries. It's going to be a more unique and relaxing shopping experience. Yes, there will be a few more dining experiences added that are upbeat but the overall area will be much different than it is now.

A reason to be optimistic if nothing else :sohappy:

flavious27

It's amazing that any company can sit on such a potentially highly valuable money making property of this sort for so long. Most companies wouldn't be able to do that and survive.

Well disney is able to make money from so many others things on site. Look at how long AA sat half built. Or that they make stinkers like john carter and mars need moms.

The handling of PI shows how badly TDO makes decisions.

acr123

Thanks so much for the info Raven....but my question is why have they replicated the nightlife experience that was Pleasure Island INSIDE of a Disney Theme Park, yet they have been unwilling to re-open at least ONE Pleasure Island club to offer any type of quality nightlife experience on WDW property??

Mouse Detective

But since we are talking about retail development, understand that getting contracts from vendors takes quite some time. They could go ahead and build ow what they are planning but until the vendor contacts are in place, those stores would be empty when they open.

Well of course they don't want that to happen but it's coming up on 4 years since they closed everything. Meanwhile dozens of new restaurants have opened along International Drive and 192 so vendors are signing contracts to open new places....just not with Disney.

Victor Kelly

I say just go back to the original PI concept. I know City Walk is kicking the pants off Disney right now. But since Church Street station closed almost a decade or more ago, there is not much night life around, especially with PI closed.

I mean you look at the whole complex of the marketplace, and westside, put PI back with clubs and you have City Walk at Disney. And I know people will say, the crime the crime.......but hire off duty police and armed security.

maxairmike

I say just go back to the original PI concept. I know City Walk is kicking the pants off Disney right now. But since Church Street station closed almost a decade or more ago, there is not much night life around, especially with PI closed.

Not sure when you were last in downtown Orlando, but that isn't quite right. I was just there the other night for a concert and while driving around to find a place to park (I'd rather walk a few blocks and park for free than pay $10 :lol: ) I noticed that not only was Church Street lit up in plenty of neon signs, but quite a few other clubs and bars are thriving around downtown as well. CityWalk is far from the only place in town for a good club/bar experience.

Mouse Detective

I noticed that not only was Church Street lit up in plenty of neon signs, but quite a few other clubs and bars are thriving around downtown as well.

Downtown Orlando has a lot of nightlife activity going on and Church Street has bars, clubs and restaurants too. But what was "Church Street Station" including the dozens of shops that made up the Church Street Exchange building are no more.

CityWalk is lame compared to what Pleasure Island used to be. So many Disney guests go there because of the multiple club for one price concept and the secure feeling you get......things Pleasure Island used to offer but willingly gave up. You can have a good time at CityWalk but you never walk away wow'd. Pleasure Island, as only Disney can do, wow'd! And they could wow again if someone in charge would just give the order to do it!

maxairmike

I was taking it to mean what it seems a lot of others (both here and elsewhere) seem to mean when they say that; that downtown Orlando is no longer a viable/popular nightlife because that one single collection/place is closed.

COProgressFan

Well of course they don't want that to happen but it's coming up on 4 years since they closed everything. Meanwhile dozens of new restaurants have opened along International Drive and 192 so vendors are signing contracts to open new places....just not with Disney.

A critical point...restaurants, stores and such are opening in the tourist areas of Orlando. But they are not signing with Disney....

And the folks in Anaheim have managed to put on (for several years now) a great nighttime party at DCA, reminiscent of the old days of PI. But instead, PI sits empty for 4 whole years. At the very least, why not put together a temporary-ish party atmosphere like at Glowfest/ElecTRONica/T-party?

It just boggles the mind.

CaptJapan

A critical point...restaurants, stores and such are opening in the tourist areas of Orlando. But they are not signing with Disney....

And the folks in Anaheim have managed to put on (for several years now) a great nighttime party at DCA, reminiscent of the old days of PI. But instead, PI sits empty for 4 whole years. At the very least, why not put together a temporary-ish party atmosphere like at Glowfest/ElecTRONica/T-party?

It just boggles the mind.

Not to mention Universal City Walk is adding a boardwalk section.
Just what is going on with Disney? Are they really hurting for money to use on WDW that bad? Do we need another dozen hotels before a club is added to Downtown?
I'd say Fantasyland is the cause, but Universal was able to do Harry Potter and still have money for a Jaws removal, new dark ride, Spiderman refurbish and expanded Citywalk with minigolf!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom