Hygene of water parks ... scientific research

DianeW

I'm guessing that Disney employs a UV filtration system that will completely eliminate almost all risk from fecal matter in the pools. Urine is fairly clean and will not make you ill. Fecal matter can give you a parasite. The most common parasite contracted from insufficiently maintained pools is cryptosporidium. UV filtration systems eliminate this risk.

Honestly, water parks don't scare me in the least. Well, expect for Summit Plummet. But that's only because I'm not that keen on being washed out of a skyscraper at 30 mph. :confused: But bacteria in the water doesn't even register on my radar. I've swam in it, completely submerged, more times than I can count. And I'm sure I ingested mouthfuls of the stuff. At Disney. And lived to tell about it. With no ill effects whatsoever.

And Disney water parks? I'm sure they are some of the most stringently maintained in the world.

Oh, and by the way, if you can SMELL the chlorine in the air...it means they need to add more to the pool. Here's an article. http://www.thepoolclinic.com/2011/04/18/chlorine/

emcclay

Went to Blizzard two days in a row this week. I'm still here, I think. Just be careful of the snot in the lazy river and the wedgies that are complimentary from some slides :)

luv

I think you probably do more damage from the chlorine and suns uv rays than you get from others germs.
I do not know the risks from chlorine. Since I've spent a huge chunk of my life in pools, I'm scared to ask, but I will...

What kind of damage does chlorine do?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think you probably do more damage from the chlorine and suns uv rays than you get from others germs.
While chlorine in not a chemical you want to take lightly, using is is miles less harmful then not using it. Without it you get all kinds of critters that could go as far as making you dead. I'll take red eyes and dry skin over pushing up daises any day.

I do not know the risks from chlorine. Since I've spent a huge chunk of my life in pools, I'm scared to ask, but I will...

What kind of damage does chlorine do?
In the concentrations found in pools it is as close to harmless as you can get. Red eyes and dry skin are about the biggest problems. Inhaling the gas can be quite harmful and in high enough concentrations can cause a pulmonary edema, but the only way you would realistically run into that situation would be in mishandling liquid chlorine or mixing two chemicals that cause the production of chlorine gas.

Club Cooloholic

Water parks, pools and hot tubs all make me wonder. I know that we shower before we head to the pool, but there are some really dirty smelly people that you share these areas with. How about infants using the pools with a swim diapers? How much water washes in and out of those diapers and watch for the dark trail behind them. It is really a farce that people think those swim diapers seal everything in. It is a joke!. We do use them with that always in the back of my mind.

The water is monitored and tested for bacteria then chemically treated.
They have showers at the pools(at least at the Mods) and your supposed to use them before you swim, but how many times do people ever turn them on unless they are rinsing the pool water off?
When I went to a german water park they were very strict about showering first.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
They have showers at the pools(at least at the Mods) and your supposed to use them before you swim, but how many times do people ever turn them on unless they are rinsing the pool water off?
When I went to a german water park they were very strict about showering first.
Isn't that like washing the dishes before you put them in the dishwasher.....I mean isn't that why you are going swimming to begin with?

;)

JordanNite

Original Poster
And they probably use industrial strength chlorine at Disney too.

So, all in all you have worries about,

1) Feces
2) Grown adults urinating
3) Children urinating
4) Toddlers with nappies on
5) Floating spit
6) People with open sores
and now ...
7) The dangers or chlorine.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
And they probably use industrial strength chlorine at Disney too.

So, all in all you have worries about,

1) Feces
2) Grown adults urinating
3) Children urinating
4) Toddlers with nappies on
5) Floating spit
6) People with open sores
and now ...
7) The dangers or urine.
Don't forget the dangers of chlorine and the excess suntan lotion floating on top of the water like an oil slick.

Suntan lotion tarballs found on the beach at Typhoon Lagoon will stain your feet for years.

Goofyernmost

And the cyanide I dumped in there last week...with my mind. In addition to the pools having made me a zombie, I am also a Super-Villian. Mwahahaha
Water in the pools is also been known to cause drowning. It's a battle field out there! I think it would be far better to just roll yourself up into a little ball and sit in a clean corner for the rest of your life.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom