hurt at water park

Disneydreamer23

I burnt the back of my leg on one of the Disney busses a year back. If u sit in the back seats..it was either the wheel well, or a bump from where the engine is..it gets pretty hot in the summer, i leaned against it while sitting and got burned , it wasnt that bad, but enough for it to leave a mark on the back of my leg, and for it to hurt. Never thought of blaming anyone for it though...its hot out, things heat up, you touch em, you get burned. Some people just want a free ride.

yes the back and the right side i was telling my bf how HOT my legs were and he said you must be hot from walking well i was like NO WAY this is from the engine or some thing he thought i was just complaning untill i went in changed my clothes and had a welt the size of an apple on my leg and i had to put stuff on it i got from the front desk after i explained the sitation and asked what can i put on it to stop burning.. i was 18 i had no idea:hammer:, they were nice gave me a WHOLE tube and it was fine the next day but now i know to never sit there!

JimJam

Please explain this one!!!

Crush n Gusher is enclosed with netting. Not to mention it goes so fast you can not possibly push yourself up.

The only place you could maybe fall off is if you jump over the railing while waiting to board.

How did you fall off this?

I Did Not Fall Off Of Track, I Fell Off Of Tube And Got Blasted The Whole Way Through By The VERY VERY Hard Water Jets That Propel Your Tube Up

WDW_Emily

So...what your saying is that if a rider wanted to go before the light was green then the operator would do nothing? If so...then we can refer to them as observers rather than operators. My point is that the operators are there for a reason and there are times in which human error can be to blame. Maybe not in this case...but it is withing the realm of possibility.

:shrug:

Speaking from experience as a water park operator:

Once someone goes down the slide there is nothing an attendant can do! The attendant is there to tell people when to go and make sure they understand how to go down. However, people don't listen. The attendant does not have the power to shut the ride off, or to crawl into the tube to stop the person.

I know where I work when this happens, we need to whistle to the attendant at the bottom of the slide to tell them too many people are in a tube. It is then their job to try to get people to move as quickly as possible out of the bottom to prevent collision.

lazyboy97o

Isn't it possible that even with a sensor or light system an operator just wasn't paying attention??? My husband who is not a ride attendent is not trained to pay attention to whatever this device may be.
This "device" is a pair of lights, one red and one green right there at the top of the slide and in plain view of guests, as it is intended for their benefit.

So...what your saying is that if a rider wanted to go before the light was green then the operator would do nothing? If so...then we can refer to them as observers rather than operators. My point is that the operators are there for a reason and there are times in which human error can be to blame. Maybe not in this case...but it is withing the realm of possibility.

:shrug:
They are not operators. There is no mechanism preventing a person from going down the slide. Why would you expect such a mechanism to exist on a slide?

renee123

Original Poster
Storm Slides use a sensor to work out when a rider has passed, and then to turn the light green at the top to signal the next rider to go. It would be possible for a rider to ignore the red light and just go, instead of waiting for the green light. This would not be the fault of the operator. Their main roll is to supervise the boarding area, not to indicate when to go. That is controlled by the lights.

It would seem in your case that one of the riders went before the light was green, or one of the riders stopped themselves inside the slide.

Really? The workers don't supervise when to go down the slide? So what are they doing when "supervising the boarding are"?

sublimesting

I think it is pretty clear the first guy slowed himself down. Even if their daughter waited for 2 green lights she still would have caught up as the husband did. The operators would not know someone in the middle stopped. The operators are there to enforce that multiple people don't all go at once or that you don't go head first or something. But when it comes down to it what can they really do? If someone dives right through they are gone, nothing that can be done.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I think it is pretty clear the first guy slowed himself down. Even if their daughter waited for 2 green lights she still would have caught up as the husband did. The operators would not know someone in the middle stopped. The operators are there to enforce that multiple people don't all go at once or that you don't go head first or something. But when it comes down to it what can they really do? If someone dives right through they are gone, nothing that can be done.

I suppose they could lasso people who ignore the stop lights and reel them back up to the top of the slide.

lazyboy97o

Really? The workers don't supervise when to go down the slide? So what are they doing when "supervising the boarding are"?
If the issue was the attendant sending poeple down too soon it means your daughter and husband ignored the red light and went down early.

renee123

Original Poster
If the issue was the attendant sending poeple down too soon it means your daughter and husband ignored the red light and went down early.

Honestly, I was not up there because I was at the bottom of the slide waiting in the water for my daughter to come down. So I can't comment on whether the light was red. I'm sure the lights in disney work properly so I'm pretty sure that was NOT the problem. Chances are human error either by the attendant or my family or both! It just sucks that it was enough of an accident for her to not want to ride anymore slides.

I also want to point out that before my incident a women was waiting in the water for her children and was actually starting to freak out because the 2 kids took so long to come down. She motioned to the castmate stationed on the deck at the end of the slide and she didn't know what was taking so long. That said, I was not the only one who had a problem.

jmvd20

After reading through this entire thread for the first time some immediately obvious observations were made.

1. The OP was merely stating an incident that happened to her family while visiting a Disney water park.

2. Other members immediately took this as an insult to Disney World and their employees therefore defend WDW they must.

3. Questions arise as to the validity of her statement as it should be obvious that a ride operator or automated system is of course infailable.

Which leads to the obvious conclusion that the OP is just a sue happy knit wit with a poor father for a husband while being a drama queen the entire time...

Renee, thank you for posting what happened to your family as it will give me something to watch out for the next time our family goes to a water park.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
After reading through this entire thread for the first time some immediately obvious observations were made.

1. The OP was merely stating an incident that happened to her family while visiting a Disney water park.

2. Other members immediately took this as an insult to Disney World and their employees therefore defend WDW they must.

3. Questions arise as to the validity of her statement as it should be obvious that a ride operator or automated system is of course infailable.

Which leads to the obvious conclusion that the OP is just a sue happy knit wit with a poor father for a husband while being a drama queen the entire time...

Renee, thank you for posting what happened to your family as it will give me something to watch out for the next time our family goes to a water park.

In the very first paragraph the poster directly blames the cast member. It seems that the poster mistakenly believes that the cast member is responsible for dispatching the guests, rather than the guests themselves following they very clear red and green lights at the slide entrance. I think if blame is being thrown around, it needs to be done so with some validity, and in this case I think the blame is misdirected.

Lucky

We spent the rest of the day in the wave pool because my daughter was too scared to continue on the slides. It was an awesome wave pool and my daughter had a blast but I have to say I was a bit concerned for her safety. It was really rough!

The TL wave pool is more of a safety hazard than the slides. Scraping the bottom, large people landing on you, etc.

sublimesting

She motioned to the castmate stationed on the deck at the end of the slide and she didn't know what was taking so long. That said, I was not the only one who had a problem.

Is this what we're calling the CMs at waterparks and I'd assume boating crews as well?

renee123

Original Poster
In the very first paragraph the poster directly blames the cast member. It seems that the poster mistakenly believes that the cast member is responsible for dispatching the guests, rather than the guests themselves following they very clear red and green lights at the slide entrance. I think if blame is being thrown around, it needs to be done so with some validity, and in this case I think the blame is misdirected.

You are correct that I did blame the cast member directly in my first post and I still think that is a valid scenario. And others scenarios are just as valid as well (even yours!). One example of a valid scenario that was brought to my attention by another OP...riders trying to slow themselves down could also add to the jam up. It could have been a number of things including a cast member not paying attention!! Disney cast members are humans and not perfect. Everyone can make a mistake. Including cast members, my family, and other riders.
Here was my reason again for putting the blame on the cast member...there are 3 slides and I sat at the bottom pool for a good 45 minutes watching it. The space between riders was really off on this one slide. I was not the only family with an issue. One woman was freaking out because there are was big wait for her second daughter to come down. I also saw a brother and sister come close to crashing and then there was of course my family's little accident. Look, I see your point about the red/green light. I did not know about that because I was not at the top of the slide. But I think that as cast member they hold some responsibilty to control the flow of riders. They shouldn't just be standing around not paying any attention.
And once again it is possible that my family did not pay close attention to the lights and add to that people slowing themselves up. I SEE YOUR POINTS! But add to that a cast member as part of the mix.
I only posted this to tell other families to be careful. That's all

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom