hurt at water park

pumpkin7

i've scratched my knees a few times on the floor of the wave pool at typhoon lagoon. other than that, no mishaps.

The only time I got hurt was when I was sitting in the wave pool and the waves started up and threw me all the way back getting my hands and knees cut up a little.

Xethos

I burnt the back of my leg on one of the Disney busses a year back. If u sit in the back seats..it was either the wheel well, or a bump from where the engine is..it gets pretty hot in the summer, i leaned against it while sitting and got burned , it wasnt that bad, but enough for it to leave a mark on the back of my leg, and for it to hurt. Never thought of blaming anyone for it though...its hot out, things heat up, you touch em, you get burned. Some people just want a free ride.

kev24135

she never said she was sueing or going to try and get anything from disney, why do you guys always put words in peoples mouth on these threads. shes just making a forum to explain what happened

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The problem must have been the man in front. Not the ride operator. As Steve has said twice, the spacing of riders in controlled by sensors. So, if the 1st man crossed the sensor, THEN slowed down, the next person would have been sent. Then when the 2nd person crosses the sensor, the next person gets sent. This is how it works. It really can't be human error. It would be impractical to have someone at the bottom waiting to see rider 1 exit the slide, then signal to someone on top to send rider 2. The wait times would double and Disney would have to double the staff.

Sorry your daughter got scratched, but sometimes accidents happen. It was not Disney's fault though.

jakeman

Sorry your daughter got scratched, but sometimes accidents happen. It was not Disney's fault though.
Unless the operator was ignoring the light.

That clarification hasn't been provided yet though, even though it has been asked for multiple times.

Just trying to keep it balanced! :wave:

MickeyPeace

I Fell Off of Crushing Gusher And Got Many Bruises And Cuts And Had To Be Rushed To Backstage

Please explain this one!!!

Crush n Gusher is enclosed with netting. Not to mention it goes so fast you can not possibly push yourself up.

The only place you could maybe fall off is if you jump over the railing while waiting to board.

How did you fall off this?

MickeyPeace

As far as crashing into someone on a slide, I assume you mean in the pool at the bottom. There are attendants in at the end of every slide making sure people dont crash into each other. Combine this with the attendant at the top of the slide making sure the timing is correct and I don't see how this could possibly happen.

Its a wonder that Disney Water parks exists at all with so many people "challenged" in water.

renee123

Original Poster
Storm slides

It depends on the ride, but in a lot of cases it's automated using sensors to determine when it is clear. There isn;t a human at the bottom signaling when the next rider goes. So human error is unlikely.

Which slide was it?

It was Storm Slides

WDW_Emily

I have never been to a disney water park but I am an attendant at a local water park and work the water slides. I tell the children/adults to wait until I tell them to go but at least once a day 2 or more kids go down the slide at a time. At that point it is really out of the attendants control and most of the time, someone does get hurt.

I feel bad for your daughter and if it was the attendant sending people down too fast, Disney should have a word with her. Sometimes people are just dumb though and clog up the slides or go when they aren't supposed to. Believe me every time this happens at work I feel horrible for the person who followed the rules and ended up getting hurt.

renee123

Original Poster
1) Why wasn't the child's father more alert to his daughter going down the slide too soon ?
2) Why didn't the childs father go down first to supervise her at the bottom ?
3) If the attendant is to blame as the OP stated - then part of the blame must also lie with the childs father for following her and going down too soon.

:shrug:

1) I don't think my husband would know what to look for.
2) My husband went down after my daughter because I was in the water at the end of the slide ready to catch her. That was when I saw 3 people all come down at the same time!
3) This was our first time here and I don't think he would know how to pace the riders.

Isn't it possible that even with a sensor or light system an operator just wasn't paying attention??? My husband who is not a ride attendent is not trained to pay attention to whatever this device may be. The ride was Storm Sliders.
Look, accidents happen, even in disney. I was merely trying to tell parents to be alert. I would never ever let my child in the wave pool unattended! And I have no intentions of suing as some members suggested.

renee123

Original Poster
The problem must have been the man in front. Not the ride operator. As Steve has said twice, the spacing of riders in controlled by sensors. So, if the 1st man crossed the sensor, THEN slowed down, the next person would have been sent. Then when the 2nd person crosses the sensor, the next person gets sent. This is how it works. It really can't be human error. It would be impractical to have someone at the bottom waiting to see rider 1 exit the slide, then signal to someone on top to send rider 2. The wait times would double and Disney would have to double the staff.

Ok, so your saying it's impossible that a ride operator is not paying attention. You say "Then when the 2nd person crosses the sensor, the next person gets sent." Who sends these people? Humans who should be paying attention! Look it was a minor injury. Not a big deal at all. It's just my story of my day at the waterpark. Two things could be to blame as far as I'm concerned....ride operator or the man in front maybe sowing himself down?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
1) I don't think my husband would know what to look for.
2) My husband went down after my daughter because I was in the water at the end of the slide ready to catch her. That was when I saw 3 people all come down at the same time!
3) This was our first time here and I don't think he would know how to pace the riders.

Isn't it possible that even with a sensor or light system an operator just wasn't paying attention??? My husband who is not a ride attendent is not trained to pay attention to whatever this device may be. The ride was Storm Sliders.
Look, accidents happen, even in disney. I was merely trying to tell parents to be alert. I would never ever let my child in the wave pool unattended! And I have no intentions of suing as some members suggested.

Storm Slides use a sensor to work out when a rider has passed, and then to turn the light green at the top to signal the next rider to go. It would be possible for a rider to ignore the red light and just go, instead of waiting for the green light. This would not be the fault of the operator. Their main roll is to supervise the boarding area, not to indicate when to go. That is controlled by the lights.

It would seem in your case that one of the riders went before the light was green, or one of the riders stopped themselves inside the slide.

woodardfamily

Storm Slides use a sensor to work out when a rider has passed, and then to turn the light green at the top to signal the next rider to go. It would be possible for a rider to ignore the red light and just go, instead of waiting for the green light. This would not be the fault of the operator. Their main roll is to supervise the boarding area, not to indicate when to go. That is controlled by the lights.

It would seem in your case that one of the riders went before the light was green, or one of the riders stopped themselves inside the slide.

So...what your saying is that if a rider wanted to go before the light was green then the operator would do nothing? If so...then we can refer to them as observers rather than operators. My point is that the operators are there for a reason and there are times in which human error can be to blame. Maybe not in this case...but it is withing the realm of possibility.

:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom