Hurricanes hit disney??

Shanandty

Original Poster
Hi there... I'm brand new to the boards, and have never been to DisneyWorld :eek:
We are going July 9-15 , staying POFQ.. how often have Hurricanes hit Disney??

SpongeScott

Shanandty said:
Hi there... I'm brand new to the boards, and have never been to DisneyWorld :eek:
Hurricanes have hit WDW about as often as you have been there. :)

They have closed WDW a couple of times for storms, but that is extremely rare. Also, hurricanes in July rarely happen, though they are possible.

Go and enjoy your trip. If anything happens, WDW will take the necessary precautions that you can follow.

Neptune

Last year, During the bad season they had, they only got rain, but they did infact, close the parks. But, this happened after the time you are going, so I wouldnt expect anything, Have fun with your trip!

mikeymouse

We did a voluntary evac when my family and I were there late Sept 04. I think it was Hurricane Jeanne. Maybe Ivan. I dunno. But anyway, we evac'ed but nothing happened in the Kissimmee area other than the usual few downed trees and such. No severe damage or anything like that. We should have stayed cuz we lost days on our condo w/ no refund. They would evacuate you (mandatory) if it was going to get nasty. Disney is very good with that and so is the Natl Weather Svc.

CAPTAIN HOOK

I thought Disney suffered very slight damage after the effects of a Hurricane last September (Just seen MKTs pics)
Disney and Hurricanes are a very rare combination (September seems to be Hurricane season)

LouDisney

Lets hope this season is not bad. I know they are saying it is going to be another active season, but lets just hope and pray it is not.

I.M.Fearless

Well, I don't think people have ever been hurt. Trees is another matter. In fact, WDW recently lost quite a few trees this past cyclone season. Yet they still kept a good spin on things:
18122100_3691.jpg

The twisters also gave a good spin on Crush 'n' Gusher at Typhoon Lagoon.
http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/data/500/18122100_3691.jpg

WDWKat26

There was minimal damage from the Hurricanes last year, the most I saw was just a few tiles coming off of the Yacht and Beach Club Roof and a couple of the small signs were blown off...other than that, the second the hurricane passed over Disney CM's (including myself) were back on the job and helping out with the cleanup process and entertaining :).

sheryl2007

My husband works for a utility contractor and came down for all four hurricanes to help out FPL. He was in Orlando a few times and spent most of the time near the Cocoa Beach and West Palm areas. Needless to say I watched the Weather Channel alot!! I never really heard much about WDW , so I was curious. I hope this year doesn't end up as bad as they are saying, we missed him!!:(

Ralph Wiggum

Account Suspended
AK got hit the hardest last year due to the vegetation in the park. MGM lost several trees inside the park. there are still reminders all over the area of the 3 hurricanes that hit central Fl. WDW did a great job cleaning up the mess and getting the parks open quickly.

sheryl2007

My first thought when I heard about them heading towards central FL was "oh no , not WDW!!" I am so glad things were not that bad, I know it was hit and miss, trees devastated in one area and the one next to it untouched, that kind of thing.

Ziggie

sheryl2007 said:
My husband works for a utility contractor and came down for all four hurricanes to help out FPL. He was in Orlando a few times and spent most of the time near the Cocoa Beach and West Palm areas. Needless to say I watched the Weather Channel alot!! I never really heard much about WDW , so I was curious. I hope this year doesn't end up as bad as they are saying, we missed him!!:(

Thank you for sharing your husband with us ~ bless his heart! I live only a few miles from where both Francis and Jeanne made landfall. Without people like your hubby, we would have had an even harder time with our recovery process.

Figment1986

Everyone does their job to get everything back to normal... (TECO got their Higherups on the job of managing the troops... My dad helped Tampa's airport secter restore all the power after each hurriciane... I feel sorry for the person incharge of Winterhaven..)
without there help.. FLA would have taken even longer to get everything back.. (and even when the power companies themselves sell their extra supplies to the other companies to help... and sometimes it bites them back 2 hurricains latter..)

disney had mostly trees fall.. Most noticable is behind Epcot near Cribean beach and the fire station you can see backstage Epcot..

londonhalk

Hurry Canes

Shanandty said:

THE ONLY ONE TO EVER HIT DISNEY IN ITS HISTORY WAS LAST YEAR 2004 AUG,, HURRICANE FRANCIS WAS LARGER THAN TEXAS AND STRETCHED FROM ALABAMA TO KEY WEST,, AND I WAS THEIR SLEEPING ON THE FLOOR IN THE HOTEL AND IT COST ME A FORTUNE..BUT DONT EVER LET THEM PUT U OFF,, THE FLORIDIANS JUST KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH THEM. QUOTE, THEY DO.

PhotoDave219

Actually, youre wrong.

We had 3.

Charley (there was a video of highlights that was posted to these here forums) .... Frances and Jeanne. Charley was a few hours, Frances took 3 days and Jeanne was flat out annoying....

And Ivan passed near here, did cause some concern....

Disney_Belle

I did notice some trees down near epcot and throughout the wdw resort. This was a concern for me too being that I will be hopefully living there soon. But I've survived tornadoes that flipped trees onto my fathers house and almost ruined his wedding in NC. Hopefully for the safety of everyone not just in WDW but all over that this hurrican season isnt as bad as last year.

diveteam

I was there in September last year when Ivan and Jeanne passed through. Ivan did not cause any major problems but for Jeanne we stayed in our room for 24 hours (All Star Music) the only damage that I could see was a couple of trees had been blown down, and the next day the weather was back to its usual sunny self.

Mark

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom