Hurricane Survival Thread 2017 updates!

Nemo14

Just wanted to wish all of you the best of luck during the upcoming hurricane season. Here in New England we're long overdue for a serious hurricane, but no one seems to prepare for it. We keep a supply of non-perishables in the basement (actually in case of a blizzard), and have plenty of flashlights available. We've depended on our camping supplies for previous storms and it has worked out well (the longest we went without electricity was only a week though). People up here apparently don't think it can ever happen here, but I remember some pretty bad ones in my childhood, so it can, and inevitably will happen here again!

Woody13

With hurricane season right around the corner, I decided to perform a hurricane simulation test to see how well my hurricane plan works. I put up all the hurricane shutters on the house. I shut off the main breaker to simulate a power failure. I shut off the water at the main valve. I then removed two of the hurricane shutters and mounted my two 8,000 BTU Window A/C units.

I erected a 9' x 13' canopy in the driveway and then wheeled the generator into position under the canopy (to protect the generator from rain). I grounded the generator with 4 gauge copper wire to an 8 foot ground rod. I gassed up the generator tank with 5 gallons of fuel and hooked up all the 12 gauge extension cords (without a load on any of them).

I started up the generator and let it run for 5 minutes with no load to warm up. I then put the first load on which was my 25 cubic foot refrigerator/freezer. After a few minutes I powered up one of the A/C units and then in a few more minutes, powered up the second A/C unit. Next, I powered up a ceiling fan and a 20 inch high velocity floor fan.

The generator was able to handle the load just fine. At night I powered up five 26 watt compact fluorescent bulbs and each family member has their own battery powered fluorescent light to carry. I hooked up my battery powered TV to the main antenna to view broadcasts.

We cooked all of our food on the propane grill. We performed this simulation for 2 days with great success. We poured stored water into the back of the toilet tank to flush our waste. We used a solar shower to bathe each day. The main delight is that we were able to get comfortable and sleep soundly at night! Those window A/C units are worth their weight in gold.

During the last year, I have queried a number of people about the use of a portable generator to power a refrigerator/freezer, a couple of window A/C units and assorted other appliances. The answers I have gotten have been all over the board. Some say, no problem while others say that if two or more compressors kick in at the same time, the generator and the appliances will all be damaged.

So, I decided to perform the tests I need to answer my questions once and for all. I checked the peak amp load (compressor start) and running amps for each of my appliances while hooked up to the generator. I used an AC Line Splitter and a Greenlee CM-310 Clamp Ammeter. This ammeter has a peak hold feature to measure highest surge amps. I checked each appliance over a two day period and used the highest readings. The results were as follows:

Refrigerator/Freezer 13 amp surge (1,560 surge watts) 2.2 Amp normal draw (264 running watts)
8,000 BTU Window A/C 12 amp surge (1,440 watts) 6.5 amp normal draw (780 running watts)
8,000 BTU Window A/C 12 amp surge (1,440 watts) 6.5 amp normal draw (780 running watts)
Ceiling Fan .60 amp at high speed (72 running watts)
20 inch high velocity floor fan 1.83 amp at high speed (220 watts)

As you can see, my tests confirm my theory. My generator handled this load with ease. I could run another 8,000 BTU A/C unit without any problem (other than increased gas consumption).

My goal was to keep my running load at or below 2,500 watts to conserve fuel and leave some comfortable headroom for surge loads. Therefore, at 2,116 running watts I am well within my designed plan. I learned that with this load, my generator will run for at least 10 hours on 5 gallons of fuel. That means that I'm burning about 1/2 gallon per hour. Therefore, with 80 gallons of fuel I can run for a little over 6 days. That should allow me plenty of time to find additional fuel within a 2 hour drive if the power outage lasts for more than a week.

I also hooked up a true RMS Power Meter to the AC Line Splitter and took readings to measure the voltage, frequency and waveform coming from the generator. Except for the minor surges, everything stayed within specifications. When a compressor kicks in, the surge only lasts for a few milliseconds. The likelihood of two or more compressors all cycling simultaneously (within the same millisecond) is astronomical. I would have a better chance of winning the lottery!

I discovered that one of my plywood hurricane shutters had suffered some minor delamination in storage after hurricane Dennis. The shutter was still usable but it alerted me to the need for backups. I'm going to Home Depot next week and have two more CDX plywood shutters cut to my specifications.:wave:

MKCP 1985

Here we are, roughly a week away from hurricane season. Our local paper had a special section in the Sunday paper yesterday on hurricane preparedness. Truthfully, the information in this thread is much more helpful. :wave:

Woody13

I found a nice item that I think should be included on anyone's hurricane supply list. It's the Coleman Pack-Away Lantern. This lantern has a 15-watt fluorescent spiral U-tube and runs on 8D cell batteries. The light it puts out is as bright as a 60 watt light bulb. It has both high and low brightness settings. The unit collapses down for compact storage. I bought two of them at Wal-Mart (tax free) for less than $20.00 a piece. :wave:

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
Woody13 said:
I found a nice item that I think should be included on anyone's hurricane supply list. It's the Coleman Pack-Away Lantern. This lantern has a 15-watt fluorescent spiral U-tube and runs on 8D cell batteries. The light it puts out is as bright as a 60 watt light bulb. It has both high and low brightness settings. The unit collapses down for compact storage. I bought two of them at Wal-Mart (tax free) for less than $20.00 a piece. :wave:

Oooh, I bought one of those last year, and added a second. I also feel that having the capacity to cool at least one room for sleeping at night makes a HUGE difference! We weren't able to sleep in an A/C room until almost a week into last year's power failure (when one neighbor got power back, and ran a cord to our house) but the difference after a good night's sleep was amazing. It was like when my babies finally slept through the night, and I was able to sleep for more than 2 hours at a time. Heaven! :lol:

Quite frankly, I found that I can survive without power during the day and early evening (as long as I have battery powered fans, TV, etc) as long as I can sleep in a cool room.

Woody, I also have a canopy for my generator, as even with venting it to the outside I'm too afraid to keep it in the garage. (We would be sleeping over it, and I DO have a carbon dioxide detector in the garage apartment, but still...)

Woody13

The Mom said:
Oooh, I bought one of those last year, and added a second. I also feel that having the capacity to cool at least one room for sleeping at night makes a HUGE difference! We weren't able to sleep in an A/C room until almost a week into last year's power failure (when one neighbor got power back, and ran a cord to our house) but the difference after a good night's sleep was amazing. It was like when my babies finally slept through the night, and I was able to sleep for more than 2 hours at a time. Heaven! :lol:

Quite frankly, I found that I can survive without power during the day and early evening (as long as I have battery powered fans, TV, etc) as long as I can sleep in a cool room.

Woody, I also have a canopy for my generator, as even with venting it to the outside I'm too afraid to keep it in the garage. (We would be sleeping over it, and I DO have a carbon dioxide detector in the garage apartment, but still...)
In addition to the Coleman Lanterns, each family member is given one of these units;

Trans1x1.gif
[FONT=Verdana, Arial][SIZE=-1]Energizer® Illumifold™ Lantern Folding Fluorescent
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial][SIZE=-2]Model #FL450BP
OutFoldFlourImgOpen_z.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, Arial][SIZE=-2]Display:[/SIZE][/FONT]
Trans1x1.gif
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial][SIZE=-1]Can operate one tube or both tubes. One tube provides 40 hours run time while both tubes provide 20 hours run time. Compact design for transport and storage.

[/SIZE][/FONT]
Trans1x1.gif
[FONT=Verdana, Arial][SIZE=-2]
Features & Benefits:
[/SIZE][/FONT]
UniBulletPad_img.gif
[FONT=Verdana, Arial][SIZE=-2]Lifetime guarantee [/SIZE][/FONT]
UniBulletPad_img.gif
[FONT=Verdana, Arial][SIZE=-2]Folding design for 180° or 360° area light [/SIZE][/FONT]
UniBulletPad_img.gif
[FONT=Verdana, Arial][SIZE=-2]Compact design with convenient carrying handle [/SIZE][/FONT]
UniBulletPad_img.gif
[FONT=Verdana, Arial][SIZE=-2]Handle folds down for trail lantern use [/SIZE][/FONT]

We use these for portable light around the house for walking around and going to the bathroom. They use 4D cells and put out a lot of light. I found them at Home Depot. They cost about $15.00 each.

Another thing I have is four Amerex 10 lb. ABC dry chemical fire extinguishers. They're handy to have around the house in the event of a fire. I have one mounted in the kitchen, the back porch (not too far from the BBQ grill), the garage and in a utility closet. After a hurricane, you may loose water pressure. Even the fire hydrants won't work. What happens if my generator catches on fire?

The Amerex extinguishers are the best. They are commercial models and you won't find them sold in retail outlets. You must get them from a fire prevention firm. I deal with my local Koorsen dealer. They are happy to sell to the public.

Several years ago, my wife and I and youngest daughter were at WDW. When we returned to our room, we had a message on our phone (this was prior to cell phones). Our eldest daughter had called. We returned the call and she reported that she had fried some chicken in the kitchen and she left the room, "for just a second". When she returned the entire stove top and hood vent were ablaze!

Fortunately, she was not hurt, and she had the presence of mind to grab the extinguisher off the wall and put out the fire before it destroyed the house! Most importantly, we didn't have to interupt our WDW trip! I love dry chemical fire extinguishers!

And yes, I'm in full agreement with you on the CO issue. We had several "Darwin" award winners after both Ivan and Dennis that thought they could run their generators in their attached garages.

I want that generator 8 or 10 feet away from my house (securely locked down with a long and strong chain). I don't want to worry about the CO hazard or the fire hazard posed by a generator.

Today, I spent an hour or so in the yard spraying a herbicide to kill some of the nasty weeds with which our lawn was inflicted as a result of the many hurricanes. It's over 90º F now, so spraying the entire lawn was very hot work. But at least, after it was over, I could come into the house, take a shower and change into clean clothes. The A/C helped me cool down fast.

Contrast that with after hurricane repairs! The heat after a hurricane is terrible with no A/C. You go out after the storm and your yard is a mess. You've got tons of debris to clean up and it's a hot and sweaty job. Then, when you come into your house, it's hotter than being outside! You have no water for a shower and no A/C! You watch as the black mold stains on your ceilings grow bigger and bigger each couple of hours!

I'm not going to let that happen ever again. I don't want to have to run all over creation looking for and then standing in line for ice. I don't want to sleep again in a pool of my own dirty sweat!

Thanks, I feel better now...:wave:

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
Woody, the worst part for me was that DH and DS were able to go off to air conditioned buldings every day, and I was stuck in a "third world" country where I had to devote my time to finding ice, planing meals I could cook on the grill, cleaning without hot water...I had to heat dishwater on a sterno stove set on my counter, and doing laundry at a laundromat. (but at least it had A/C)

I was able to take a shower next door (gas HW heater) and I DID have running water, so it could have been much, much worse.

But I understand about the mildew and SMELL; it was terrible after just 2 weeks. And the flies! UGH

BTW, I have little lanterns (mine is a Hello Kitty) with carrying handles that we used, and also a hands free headlamp for checking the generator after dark which I lent to my neighbor...he now has his own. The garage is totally detached, so we would be OK in the main house. It's just that we have a fairly open floor plan, so it would be impossible to keep the house cool and run the refrigerator without a whole house generator.

Woody13

Well, here are some tiny steps in the right direction by our Governor. Heck, after hurricane Ivan back in 2004, we went for many months with gas shortages. All of the stations in our areas ran low or out of gas days before Ivan even hit. After the storm, it took weeks to restore power to some areas and then those gas stations that had power, had no gas!

For many months after Ivan, gas lines became common and station owners limited the amount you could buy. Most stations ran out of gas on a daily basis and had to wait on their next shipment. This went on for 10 months and then wham, we got hit by Dennis and the whole deal started over again. We still have several stations that closed for good. The station that I most often deal with most always has all of its 16 pumps in use. :wave:

Florida Passes Generator Bill For Gas Stations

June 1, 2006 9:37 p.m. EST

Matthew Borghese - All Headline News Staff Writer

Tallahassee, FL (AHN) - Florida has passed legislation ordering gas stations to be better prepared for a hurricane.

Florida Governor Jeb Bush signed a new law calling on gas stations to have back-up power generators, in order to continue to provided services in the event of a crippling hurricane or other natural disaster.

However, despite the haste, many elements will not go into effect until the 2007 hurricane season.

Gov. Bush believes, "I think we now can safely say we are a model in the country in how to take care of vulnerable citizens."

According to the Sun-Sentinel, the generator bill (HB 7121) also puts new requirements on new gas stations, those that undergo major renovations and those near interstates and along major evacuation routes. They must have wiring that makes it easy to switch to generator power and be capable of quickly getting alternate power going to pump gasoline and run other equipment - although they're not required to buy a generator and house it at each station.

0622218934_Tallahassee_state_capital.jpg

Tallahassee, Florida - Governor Jeb Bush is signing legislation into law today to help solve the problem of not being able to get gas during a hurricane when electricity has been knocked out.

Under the new law, hundreds of gas stations must have access to generators and be able to quickly get the pumps, freezers and credit card machines running.

The legislation is one of several hurricane preparedness bills the governor is signing in Tallahassee this afternoon.

Not all gas stations would be affected.

Owners with 10 or more stations in a county must have a generator available and be able to move it to where it is needed. The more stations the owner has, the more generators they'll need ready to be put in place.

The measure also would put generators in special needs shelters starting this year and retrofit other shelters to be to strengthen their construction.

Woody13

Yeah, I know Scott. I take this stuff a little too seriously. I'll be honest with you. I felt very sorry for myself and my family after Ivan. And then, 10 months later, Dennis pounded us again. I was about ready to just quit. It was not a fun time in my life. I felt bad. I felt real bad. I was almost frightened to death, literally. Then something happened. Katrina!

On August 26, 2005 Katrina was forecast to come to my area! I worried and worried over this storm. As you know, it missed us, although we still got some high winds. But just like Lambert the Lion, something snapped inside of me when Katrina hit Mississippi. Although we were still working on fixing up our own house (many repairs still not done to date), I just felt the need to go help.

After all, I had a lot of my own experience to fall back upon! So we put together our crew and went over to Mississippi to help where we could. Just as with Ivan, what I saw both frightened me and also made me very angry. I am not a man that curses very much. But in the last two years I have said some very nasty curses! But curses don't help much. Fighting back helps a lot!

So now I have good and workable plan to fight against these storms. I have a son and a daughter that own their homes in the local area. We have a plan worked out to help and support one another and our neighbors in the event of a major storm. It's a team effort!

When I was a younger man full of spit and vinegar, I didn't fear these storms at all. I used to say, "Bring it on!". I regret that now. I guess I've just seen too much of the destruction, death and hardship brought on by these monster hurricanes. I am also frustrated by the lack of emergency care and response offered at the local, state and federal levels. It is IMO darn near useless. But I will refrain from any further discussion of the political aspects of this issue.

So, if for no other reason than to retain what little sanity I have left, I must prepare for the worst, hope for the best and shelter in place! :wave:

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
Woody,

I also don't want to get into the political aspects of things, except to say that I've always believed that the government's role (be it local, state, or federal) was there to provide services that the average person could not reasonably provide for himself, and would be there to SUPPLEMENT my resources when I ran out. This is with or without a disaster.

And despite the lessons that should have been learned from Katrina, a recent survey shows that there are still way too many people along the Eastern and Gulf coasts who have done next to nothing to prepare for this year's storms...not even a flashlight and batteries.

SpongeScott

Front page of yesterday's St. Petersburg Times says that if we are hit by a catastrophic storm to plan on being on your own for at least 72 hours because the government won't be able to do anything for you. I wonder if they will be back in service that fast.

Debbie

SpongeScott said:
Front page of yesterday's St. Petersburg Times says that if we are hit by a catastrophic storm to plan on being on your own for at least 72 hours because the government won't be able to do anything for you. I wonder if they will be back in service that fast.

We've been told that all of our lives yet look who was screaming that help wasn't coming. They were told to get out. Every citizen should have a plan especially because the water sits for so long. If a citizen chooses to stay; then they should be prepared to survive for a while (like Woody or my dad; only my dad stunk like he'd been out of electricity for three weeks and Woody has the shower thing covered). The time after is hot, sweaty, and tempers fly. You drink more water than you ever thought you could. The only thing to do is sit in the shade and stay cool and guard your property.

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
BTW, I'm well aware that the majority of people do not have the resources to make the preparations that some of us have. Quite frankly, I'm trying to plan so I will survive comfortably.

But there is no reason why someone can't at least have a flshlight, some batteries, some water, and a few food items to last for the first few hours. (There were people complaining about no water the first night.) And if you have special needs, you need to get out of town. My mother is in assisted living, and they made every resident (or family) fill out a form detailing emergency evacuation plans; everyone is given an emergency kit which includes water, flashlight and batteries, granola type bars, toilet paper, etc. provided by the Red Cross.

EVERYONE should have a similar kit in their house for each family member. It won't last very long, but at least initial responders will then be able to spend those few precious first hours dealing with rescue and treating the injured and helpless, rather than dealing with able bodied people who just ignored warnings.

And as Debbie mentioned, those of us who DO plan ahead have to worry about those who don't, so it pains me to have to add ammunition and heavy duty, plastic covered chains to my list. :(

Woody13

Debbie said:
The time after is hot, sweaty, and tempers fly. You drink more water than you ever thought you could. The only thing to do is sit in the shade and stay cool and guard your property.
You got that right! I don't mind working and getting hot and sweaty, but when the work is done, I want to clean up and cool down. I can't stand being dirty when I'm trying to relax!
The Mom said:
And as Debbie mentioned, those of us who DO plan ahead have to worry about those who don't, so it pains me to have to add ammunition and heavy duty, plastic covered chains to my list. :(
Yes, I feel the same, but I also feel obligated to plan for all contingencies. I also stock extra food, tarps and other materials for friends and neighbors. It's my feeling that when a major natural disaster strikes, we're all in it together and we should help each other as much as we can. As with Ivan and Dennis, we did a neighborhood triage. We checked to see if anyone was injured or required medical attention and then we assessed property damage. The people that had the most serious problems got fixed first and then we moved on to the next problem.

And yes Mom, we all need a little help sometimes from our government(s). I was not too proud to enroll in the "Operation Blue Roof" program after Ivan. Half the shingles were gone from my roof and it had more leaks than the Titanic! All the roofing companies were so busy you had to wait many months (or even a year) to even get a roofing contractor to look at your damage, much less fix it.

Then FEMA and ACE (U.S. Army Corps of Engineers) came to the rescue and provided me with a Blue Roof (plastic tarp) for free. Heck, I'd have paid them for that service. It took me several months before I could find a decent roofing contractor. The roofing business is notorious for having a lot of unscrupulous contractors during normal business periods. After a hurricane, scam artists by the dozens show up! It ain't easy trying to recover from and repair hurricane damage.

The prices for materials, supplies and labor skyrocket. A reroof job that might have cost you $4,000.00 prior to a storm will now cost you $12,000.00 or more! There is not a thing anyone can do about it! And you don't dare complain about the quality of work, because you're just so thankful that you found a roofing crew!

What really bothered me after Ivan and Dennis was getting ice. I have two well insulated large coolers that will keep ice cold for five days. So naturally, on the forth day after any storm, I need ice. After both storms, it was as if the news media had forgotten about our area. We heard lots of reports on the radio about National Guard distribution points being set up in other areas, but none in our area. We began to wonder, have we been wiped off the map? Why don't they acknowledge us?

Well, we finally did hear about the National Guard distribution point in our area, but only by word of mouth. Due to road and bridge damage, we were essentially cut off from the rest of the world so it took four days before the National Guard could reach our area. All I wanted was some ice and so did everyone else. Heck, when those tractor trailer trucks showed up, the lines of people in their cars stretched for miles. Debbie, of course, knows the routine!

I waited in a line, because I felt obligated to get some ice for my family members (otherwise, I would have done without ice). It was just so stupid. Hundreds of cars lined up (all running their A/C) and burning hundreds of gallons of gasoline at idle, while waiting for a few bags of ice! I will never do that again!

When I got to the front of the line, I noticed they were handing out more than just bags of ice. All I needed was ice so I told the Guardsman, "All I need is a few bags of ice". He responded, "How many in your household"?, and I said "Four." He said, "Pop your trunk." They then loaded in four bags of ice, four cases of MRE's and three cases of bottled water. I tried to tell them that I only needed the ice, but it all fell on deaf ears.

I got the "official" FEMA ration for my household based upon four people. Heck, I had no use for the water or MRE's because I had plenty of my own, so I redistributed the extra stuff to people that did need it. They weren't hard to find. These Guardsmen had their orders and they carried them out. They did a fine job IMO. But that is part of the reason why I decided to get a generator and store a lot of gasoline.

If another one of these destructive storms visits my area again, I want to be totally self sufficient. I have devised a plan to accomplish that goal. However, if "Plan A" fails, then we fall back to "Plan B" and so on. My plans go to infinity and beyond! I even have Mickey Mouse soap and shampoo for my family members and I to use with the solar shower.

In all honesty, these hurricanes have been driving me crazy the last two years (and yes, I know, it's a rather short drive for me). However, now with the generator, I'll be able to run the refrigerator/freezer 24/7 for at least six days and even longer if I go to "Plan X"...:D :wave:

Debbie

Woody13 said:
You got that right! I don't mind working and getting hot and sweaty, but when the work is done, I want to clean up and cool down. I can't stand being dirty when I'm trying to relax!

Men taking cold showers---it's a wonderful thing! I never thought I'd look forward to a cold shower either! :wave:

Woody13

Mom had mentioned earlier about having a battery powered fan. While at Wal-Mart the other day, I found an "02-Cool" fan and it only costs about $14.00:

O2-COOL FAN

10"
2 speed
Battery operated
Up to 24 hours continuous battery life
Fan pivots for directional air flow
Sturdy base for table use
Portable & easy to carry
Folding design to save space
Operates on 8 "D" cell batteries (not included)
Light gray

6112981.jpg

It also has an AC adapter so you can run it from a normal power outlet. I bought three of these, just in case (and I've got a gross of D-cells in storage). I filled one up with batteries and ran it for several hours. I was impressed with the performance. These fans are now part of my hurricane supply cache. I think it a pretty "cool" product. :wave:

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
Woody, I didn't mean to imply that we'll be "every man for himself" after a storm! The whole street pitched in last time, and next time we'll have an even better plan. It's just that we're in a "urban" area, so there is no way, if there were a widespread power outage, that we could possibly have enough supplies for the whole "neighborhood."

Within a couple of miles there are people who are "predators" under normal conditions, so I have no reason to believe that they would behave any better in a disaster. There are also several apartment buildings nearby, which increases the number of people with whom we would be "sharing" our supplies.

masterv

The Mom said:
And despite the lessons that should have been learned from Katrina, a recent survey shows that there are still way too many people along the Eastern and Gulf coasts who have done next to nothing to prepare for this year's storms...not even a flashlight and batteries.

I know what you mean. I have co-workers and friends who say, "What's the big deal." We live in Tallahassee but "the big deal" is that a hurricane could strike anyone in our area, anywhere, anytime and there are tons of people not doing anything about it.

We have a cooler with wheels that we have packed full of supplies like water, food, first aid kid, cat food (for our two cats), and other items. We even have a ziplock bag with $100 and coins in case ATMs aren't working. We have several 5 gallon plastic gas canes full of gas. We make sure our cars are always full of gas. We have a map of Florida and surrounding states and several routes planned incase we have to get out of town fast. I have a hand held scanner I keep with me at all times when there is a threat of a hurricane or tropical storm.

I guess what frustrates me is the lack of respect for weather from some people. They laugh at us for being "over prepared" but will be the first to complain that our government isn't doing enough if we get hit and they need help. :brick: :hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom