Hurricane Milton coming to FL

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Don’t want to downplay the strength and seriousness of this storm but if you asked me what was the first thing to go in St Pete, it would be a fabric roof over the Trop. It’s old, and well fabric. Also, there should be some law that says these cranes need to be broken down if a Cat 3 or higher is about to hit the area.

Kevin_W

Hopefully this will give companies an initiative to start moving all powerlines underground. It’s only a matter of time before it’ll be rare to see a powerline. Maybe this will make them consider how much better it can be when you’re in storm alley.

I live in central Ohio, hardly storm central, and they buried nearly all the power lines in my city ~20 years ago. I think since then I've only once lost power for more than 2 minutes.

cmb5002

Don’t want to downplay the strength and seriousness of this storm but if you asked me what was the first thing to go in St Pete, it would be a fabric roof over the Trop. It’s old, and well fabric. Also, there should be some law that says these cranes need to be broken down if a Cat 3 or higher is about to hit the area.
As others have mentioned, big cranes don't come down in a day. Trust me, no construction company wants to lose a crane, they are expensive pieces of equipment. The logistics of a crane move are intense, and that just for crawler cranes. If you can't move it, you try to bring the boom down. Tower cranes are designed to handle some winds, and the top should spin freely in a storm to avoid damage. But there are limits to every design.

Gillyanne

Just checking in. You guys okay?
Alive in Sumter Co. Power went out for me about 930 last night and still out. I think the whole town is/was out. My backyard flooded like it did after Debbie but it's higher and further into the front of the yard than last time, but no intrusion into the house since I'm up a few feet (but I'm sure it's all up in the crawl space). Going to try to get another lil cat nap in before I fully venture outside to assess the rest of the yard.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Yep. Basically all of Tampa is without power south of Lutz Lake Fern Rd, all the way to the tip of South Tampa. From Sheldon Rd in the west all the way through Ybor City. And let me say, TECO has been spending a fortune on trimming branches in the last year. Apparently it wasn’t enough.

It's not just branches, it's the bloody trees themselves. We have this discussion about trees and burying power lines every time a hurricane comes through tree loving Tallahassee, but estimates are it would cost close to a billion. And as utilities are provided by the City, never goes anywhere, as 30% of the property is owned by the state.

If Helene had kept course for Tallahassee....

Achtzehn

Is this real ?

E5D14CD1-0325-4A94-97BC-F14D852F5C3D.png

517FCBF5-FD8D-4097-B278-D64F52253E7E.png

A87DC79C-603D-41FD-A829-98A5ED13F7CD.png

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
As others have mentioned, big cranes don't come down in a day. Trust me, no construction company wants to lose a crane, they are expensive pieces of equipment. The logistics of a crane move are intense, and that just for crawler cranes. If you can't move it, you try to bring the boom down. Tower cranes are designed to handle some winds, and the top should spin freely in a storm to avoid damage. But there are limits to every design.
Understood, however we did know 5 to 6 days ago the general path. They don't have to be broken down completely, but doesn't the that effort outweigh what has happened? The potential loss of life and the $ they are about to have to payout, or their insurance companies at least.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom