Hurricane Milton coming to FL

jlhwdw

I have lived in the Orlando area for 16 years and have never prepped for a storm, never worried about a storm and never given any hurricane much thought. (Disclaimer: I was not yet here in 2004 for Charley). Friends, co-workers and I have all done the day before the storm day of walk-ons at Disney and Universal, the mid-storm trip to Waffle House and aside from 3 days without power during Irma have sustained no issues in 16 years.

After the afternoon update today I booked myself a room in a random small town in southern Georgia about 5-6 hours away from here for both Wednesday & Thursday night. It's got no-penalty cancellation until 2pm Wednesday so I don't have to decide for another 40-ish hours. But I wanted to get it as an insurance policy before there were none left.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Hurricane Andrew hit Homestead FL 165 mph winds. I was working for the National Marine Fisheries in Charleston Sc and there is a National Marine fisheries Lab in Miami. We sent supplies down and helped out. I never saw such destruction. Milton may do the same --hoping not

Worked for FL DER at the time. One of our bureau's employee went to make sure his elderly parents were okay. He videoed the destruction as he drive down Dixie Highway. I didn't recognize the area, there was that much destruction.

The Hueys, though, were a nice touch.

celluloid

Not to downplay things, but thats nothing for WDW. Orlando (or more specifically WDW) will be absolutely fine if thats the highest they get. Thats about what happened with Frances and the parks were open the next day, late morning with minimal impact. There were a fair few trees down both on and off property, and some of the older buildings on the 192 suffered roof damage (TJ Maxx for example lost its roof and had their entire stock ruined), but IHOP as usual remained open throughout the entire thing.
That is partly luck. Microbursts make a big difference.

Remember the front of Test Track and other Randoms from Charley.

France's path was so very different. Those sustained winds for Frances did not stay long.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I have lived in the Orlando area for 16 years and have never prepped for a storm, never worried about a storm and never given any hurricane much thought. (Disclaimer: I was not yet here in 2004 for Charley). Friends, co-workers and I have all done the day before the storm day of walk-ons at Disney and Universal, the mid-storm trip to Waffle House and aside from 3 days without power during Irma have sustained no issues in 16 years.

After the afternoon update today I booked myself a room in a random small town in southern Georgia about 5-6 hours away from here for both Wednesday & Thursday night. It's got no-penalty cancellation until 2pm Wednesday so I don't have to decide for another 40-ish hours. But I wanted to get it as an insurance policy before there were none left.

So you'll leave late Tuesday?

celluloid

Your story is similar to many who moved to FL post Andrew 92 a d how they felt 2004. Mostly quiet years with cat 1s and Tropical storms. Some storms remind people.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Looks like folks are starting to evacuate North. The turnpike is backed up the the Okahumpka service area to I-75

1728339333311.png

lazyboy97o

That's not quite accurate. Under FBC 2020, all replacement and new windows must be impact resistant or use impact coverings like shutters. If within 1 mile from the coast, able to withstand winds up to 130. Further inland, 140 mph winds.

I have to replace the window in my living room - it's a non-standard size - and looked at windows that exceed the FBC requirements as it's a very large plate glass window with side windows that open.
I gave you the citations for the 2023 codes.

You’re not even stating the requirement correctly. Do you really think it makes any sense that coastal areas would only be able to withstand 130 mph while inland is 140 mph?

FigR301.2_4.jpg

This is Figure R301.2(4) from the Florida Building Code - Residential and is for single family homes. It is similar to Figure 1609.3(1) in the Florida Building Code - Building which covers most buildings including apartments, condominiums and hotels. Some larger hotels like the new towers at Walt Disney World may fall under Figure 1609.3(2). The areas shaded in grey are the wind-borne debris regions where impact protection is required for most building types. The 130 mph and 140 mph you cite are the minimum required ultimate wind load requirements for the structural design which varies based on location. As the diagram shows, heading south and towards the coast along the peninsula increases the minimum wind load criteria.

Anybody reading this, unless you know for a fact that impact rating glazing has been installed, and doubly so if you are in a white area on the map above, do not just assumed that windows are "hurricane proof". Windows and doors are not "hurricane proof", they are impact resistant. How much impact they can resist varies depending on more specific criteria. There are limits to how much they can impact and an impact will still result in broken glass, some of which can be get loose.

SoFloMagic

Curious as to why TDO hasn't made any closure announcements yet. I understand it's a huge operation and there are many things to consider, but it's not as if A) This storm is brand new as of this morning, and B) the track hasn't been fairly well-established for 36-48 hours and will impact the immediate area. We are 50-ish hours out from potential landfall and less than that until wind and rain begin impacting the greater Orlando area.
I think they want more clarity. And with universal not saying anything yet, there isn't a ton of pressure on them to do so. Some of the model tracks show this making landfall in port Charlotte, some show as far North as cedar key.

If thngs solidify a bit by the 11pm advisory (hh flight recon data from this afternoon should make it a good update) they'll be in a better position to make these decisions.

That said, minor parks are making the calls now, so I'd be universal puts word out by the end of the evening and Disney swiftly follows

Ayla

If you don't want to be stuck in traffic, leave asap.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I gave you the citations for the 2023 codes.

You’re not even stating the requirement correctly. Do you really think it makes any sense that coastal areas would only be able to withstand 130 mph while inland is 140 mph?

FigR301.2_4.jpg

This is Figure R301.2(4) from the Florida Building Code - Residential and is for single family homes. It is similar to Figure 1609.3(1) in the Florida Building Code - Building which covers most buildings including apartments, condominiums and hotels. Some larger hotels like the new towers at Walt Disney World may fall under Figure 1609.3(2). The areas shaded in grey are the wind-borne debris regions where impact protection is required for most building types. The 130 mph and 140 mph you cite are the minimum required ultimate wind load requirements for the structural design which varies based on location. As the diagram shows, heading south and towards the coast along the peninsula increases the minimum wind load criteria.

Anybody reading this, unless you know for a fact that impact rating glazing has been installed, and doubly so if you are in a white area on the map above, do not just assumed that windows are "hurricane proof". Windows and doors are not "hurricane proof", they are impact resistant. How much impact they can resist varies depending on more specific criteria. There are limits to how much they can impact and an impact will still result in broken glass, some of which can be get loose.

I said impact resistant. And I'm looking at the info for the windows my contractor gave me.

EeyoreFan#24

Hi Everyone,

First I hope everyone is staying safe. Below are some resources for everyone tracking this in and out of Florida. Please be responsible, evacuate if you are in an evacuation zone, and listen to your local emergency management officials.

It’s not too late to be storm ready. If you don’t have a plan, make a plan: https://www.ready.gov/plan

School Closures: https://www.fldoe.org/em-response/storm-info.stml

FDOT evacuation route status: https://fl511.com/

Local EMAs: https://www.floridadisaster.org/counties/

#Knowyourzone / Evacuation zone maps: https://floridadisaster.maps.arcgis...x.html?appid=aa18a2d8737c4d66bb6434a09e17203a

Evacuation Orders: https://www.floridadisaster.org/evacuation-orders/

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

Orlando is wind, rain and tornadoes. No storm surge to worry about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom