Hurricane Milton coming to FL

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Hurricane ready the parks I would think is getting anything that is not nailed down to interior buildings which is all the trash cans, tables chairs banners , umbrellas, portable lighting etc, etc, sandbag the front doors to hopefully prevent flooding into the carpeted and flooring areas of buildings and so forth. This takes time and lots of manpower. All of these could be flying missiles if left outside.

This isn't WDW's first rodeo with a hurricane.

celluloid

It will however, be likely the most intense hit they have ever had to deal with since their opening in 1971.

The trashcans don't typically get moved in my memory.

At Universal we took the lids. The cement cans they have had for ddecades now...Those things are far too heavy to move and collect to where they are a major concern. If it is going to lift the 850lb low item to move far, it would have ripped out so much more.

Banners and things that catch wind..definitely come down.

Lilofan

The one aspect in Disney being a newbie is for the most part Disney was spared from lots of destruction ( and what manpower besides the skeletal crew of ride out teams can assist if that would have happened ) post Charley 04'. On the flip side some neighborhoods felt the impact of 106 mph winds Cat 1 damaging quite a number of buildings and homes when Charley rolled up I-4 damaging areas in its wake in Kissimmee and Orlando. I still remember reading some cast member emotional stories in that their property and vehicles were big time impacted by Charley.

celluloid

The one aspect in Disney being a newbie is for the most part Disney was spared from lots of destruction ( and what manpower besides the skeletal crew of ride out teams can assist if that would have happened ) post Charley 04'. On the flip side some neighborhoods felt the impact of 106 mph winds Cat 1 damaging quite a number of buildings and homes when Charley rolled up I-4 damaging areas in its wake in Kissimmee and Orlando. I still remember reading some cast member emotional stories in that their property and vehicles were big time impacted by Charley.
Yes, Charley was very different in the path it took. Decimated port charlotted and headed up through Bartow before Central FL.

This has the strength and is hitting likely dead on, if nothing else much quicker. This is their first rodeo in this sense.
1728334132407.png

LAKid53

Premium Member
When is the last time WDW actually experienced hurricane force winds? I’m not talking about former hurricane passing over or sideswiping I mean 74mph winds? It’s not that common.

If I remember, the eye of Charlie in 2004 passed over property.

celluloid

I absolutely want to encourage caution and think its imperative everyone know and understand the potential of what is coming but man I really can’t help but feeling saying stuff like this just isn’t helpful for anyone.
Especially since it is still too soon to know where it will hit at what strength.
The experts remind the highest readings are 10 to 15 miles from the Eyewall. The shift potential is and will still be all over the place.

Last edited:

esskay

According to WESH, Orlando will be getting winds of 60-70 mph, with gusts up to 80 mph.
Not to downplay things, but thats nothing for WDW. Orlando (or more specifically WDW) will be absolutely fine if thats the highest they get. Thats about what happened with Frances and the parks were open the next day, late morning with minimal impact. There were a fair few trees down both on and off property, and some of the older buildings on the 192 suffered roof damage (TJ Maxx for example lost its roof and had their entire stock ruined), but IHOP as usual remained open throughout the entire thing.

IanDLBZF

From Disney...
We are closely monitoring the path of the projected storm, and the safety of our Guests and Cast Members remains our top priority. Walt Disney World Resort is currently operating under normal conditions and will continue to be on Tuesday, Oct. 8. Looking ahead, we are making adjustments based on the latest weather forecast and some areas with unique environments.
Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground, the Copper Creek Cabins at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, and the Treehouse Villas at Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa will temporarily close beginning at 11 a.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 9.
Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground and the Treehouse Villas at Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa are likely to remain closed until Sunday, Oct. 13
The Copper Creek Cabins at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge will likely reopen on Friday, Oct. 11.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Not to downplay things, but thats nothing for WDW. Orlando (or more specifically WDW) will be absolutely fine if thats the highest they get. Thats about what happened with Frances and the parks were open the next day, late morning with minimal impact. There were a fair few trees down both on and off property, and some of the older buildings on the 192 suffered roof damage (TJ Maxx for example lost its roof and had their entire stock ruined), but IHOP as usual remained open throughout the entire thing.

Similar to Ian in 2022. I never lost power or Internet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom