Hurricane Irma

5thGenTexan

All tropical systems since 1851 in the Atlantic, and 1949 in the Pacific.

21731284_1405221372929035_5884209827967886239_n.jpg

Cesar R M

I live in central Florida and I can attest to the high power bill situation. There are a lot of variables that can impact it. I've made a bunch of changes to finally stabilize mine just below $300 including a pool during the summer but a couple of years ago in a different house, with an old (12 years) inefficient A/C system and pool my power bills were regularly over $400 during the summer and I live alone in the house. If there were multiple people in the house it would certainly be a whole lot more than that. If folks have a larger house, multiple people and an older, inefficient cooling system it would be easy to see that power bill approach $500/mth.
Can't you install solar to lower your power burden?

Delgado

I arrive Saturday...what are the odds those big palm tree roaches are all shaken from their trees and end up in my room. I was shocked last trip when we first met. No but really...how's the bug situation after a hurricane? Do they come out to see what just happened or do they go hide?

Nubs70

It is subsiding very slowly in my neighborhood, but not much at all in other areas. Yes, the beach wasn't hit as hard by this one - those living near rivers and streams have been hit hard - inland areas that have never flooded have done so.
Coworker of mine lives on the St John's. Home was not flooded as of last report but road is impossible as 100+ year old oaks are blocking the way back in.

JohnD

Original Poster
This is becoming a big story, particularly for evacuees wanting to return home. I-75 could be closed any minute north of Alachua due to the Santa Fe River flooding: http://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...erstate-catches-residents-surprise/662841001/

Middleburg is essentially rural, suburban Jacksonville, within an hour's drive of downtown, for those unfamiliar with Florida. We looked at a house on Black Creek way back when, but in retrospect we're happy we didn't purchase it - The Mom.

The stretch of 75 in the article is a good hours drive from either coast. This flooding is all taking place on rivers and tributaries.

Last edited by a moderator:

donsullivan

Premium Member
Can't you install solar to lower your power burden?

I've contemplated it a few times but not since I moved into this house 2 years ago. I will have to do the math on the full ROI (independent of environmental benefit) for an appropriate installation. Not to mention all the hassles I'll go through to get the HOA to approve it. There are a lot of issues with the layout of the house relative to adjacent houses that have to be validated since I have no south facing roof surface. As a result, it's unclear how many hours of effective production over the course of the entire calendar year I would get from a system. It's never as simple as it appears on the surface.

Bolna

I'd like to know how they tracked the full path of tropical cyclones during the civil war. Whoever put this together can't possibly have accurate info going back that far. The Pacific I believe.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/data/ Their data goes back to 1851.

Considering that weather is especially important for any shipping and shipping has for a long, long time been an important industry where there was a lot of money to be made, I don't think they stopped tracking weather during the civil war.

disneygeek90

Though we had to go through damage and devastation in some areas to get here, this has probably been the most enjoyable week at the parks crowd wise I have seen in years. I have been trying to take as much advantage of it as possible. Thanks, cancellers. Love, locals. ;)

21stamps

Though we had to go through damage and devastation in some areas to get here, this has probably been the most enjoyable week at the parks crowd wise I have seen in years. I have been trying to take as much advantage of it as possible. Thanks, cancellers. Love, locals. ;)

I'm obviously not going to F&W now. And most likely switching my post cruise trip to KW instead..60 odd days away..hoping we can still help with something then. So at least you'll have a few more people missing from the parks on those days.

Disney appears to have handled Irma flawlessly, gave reduced prices 40% off to extend hotel stay if flights were cancelled, and let people carry over their tickets to use for those days. Plus kept everyone entertained while the parks were closed.. I am glad for all who were there and were treated so well. Solidifies the many reasons to love them.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/data/ Their data goes back to 1851.

Considering that weather is especially important for any shipping and shipping has for a long, long time been an important industry where there was a lot of money to be made, I don't think they stopped tracking weather during the civil war.

I don't think he was saying that the Civil War had an impact on this, but what technologies were available back then to track a storm?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom