Hurricane Irma

gawrshdanielle

My sister and I were scheduled to arrive in Orlando on September 9th. I called Disney the day before and rescheduled our trip to next May. I had to reschedule that far out because my sister is having jaw surgery directly after our original trip dates. It wouldn't be much fun if she couldn't eat any of the food. I won't lie I am a little disappointed that we won't be going to MNSSHP but I didn't want to travel down and be stuck in a hurricane the size of France. So right now I'm having a staycation and I will have to use my next year's vacation days toward our trip. On a brighter note, it looks like my cousin wants to join our trip this spring and that will be so much fun. :)

jaklgreen

My sister and I were scheduled to arrive in Orlando on September 9th. I called Disney the day before and rescheduled our trip to next May. I had to reschedule that far out because my sister is having jaw surgery directly after our original trip dates. It wouldn't be much fun if she couldn't eat any of the food. I won't lie I am a little disappointed that we won't be going to MNSSHP but I didn't want to travel down and be stuck in a hurricane the size of France. So right now I'm having a staycation and I will have to use my next year's vacation days toward our trip. On a brighter note, it looks like my cousin wants to join our trip this spring and that will be so much fun. :)

And you have the Flower and Garden festival to look forward to. It is such a pretty time of year to go.

gawrshdanielle

And you have the Flower and Garden festival to look forward to. It is such a pretty time of year to go.

Yeah I love flower and garden! This will be my third year going to WDW during flower and garden. I'm just really excited that my sister and cousin are coming with me. I've only been on solo trips so it will be really exciting to see how they react to being at WDW for the first time. Hopefully we can make some wonderful memories.

21stamps

There you go again being so dramatic. I was not attacking anyone and I was not the only one who said that there is no way that they are paying that much for power every month. People exaggerate in times of stress and anger, that is human nature. And many many people live without air conditioning and are in hot climates, they all survive. I grew up without air conditioning and I am just fine. You have to have a bit of patience when it comes to these situations. They are working as hard as they can to get everyone their power back. In fact it is in their best interest to do so since they are not making any money if you do not have power.

You don't know the person who you are talking about. They live west, with animals that they raise, pool, etc. you don't have a clue about someone else's expenses. And the point of her post was not even complaining about her electric bill. It is not your place to say someone is lying.. please just stop. It's sickening.
I'm glad you grew up fine without AC, being without power is lot more than just an air conditioning system being out.

I hate to even do this, but I just can't stand the flippant attitude.. here's a post from 2 hours ago from the same person. Maybe have some compassion for all of the people affected instead of "I was fine without AC as a child".

No need to respond.. just let it go.

Attachments

• IMG_4342.jpg
    IMG_4342.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:

21stamps

Gas is starting to come in, was a little difficult to find yesterday but about 5 gas stations around us got theirs last night. Food isn't really hard to come by either, most places are reopen and beginning to serve. Places like Publix/Winn Dixie had vendors restocking on Monday, items coming through their distribution centers are taking a bit longer but should start to come in soon (Publix has used some of their distribution semis to send more water & ice to South & SW Florida).

Good for Publix! One thing that's showing for sure, so many people, companies, and government agencies are nothing short of amazing right now.

Nubs70

The only real price gouging for power in North America right now is here in the province of Ontario, Canada. Since all electric utilities were privatized, power costs have skyrocketed to the point that many people, under normal electricity usage in a normal home, have bills in the neighborhood of $300-$500 per month. I live in an 1100 square foot condo, and my average power bill now is around $200. There is a definite uproar right now, but our government does nothing about it.
I have read where the Ont govt wants to phase out natural gas and go solely electric, any truth to that?

Raineman

I have read where the Ont govt wants to phase out natural gas and go solely electric, any truth to that?
That's what we thought when the news was leaked, but the government officially said that it wouldn't be doing that. I think they were, and they were just covering their butts when it was leaked. Seeing as the majority of homes in Ontario use natural gas heat, if the report was true, people's power bills every month would skyrocket even more than now if they had to switch to electric heat.

jaklgreen

Unfortunately - A/C is not as much a connivence for those in poor health. 6 die at seniro center - http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/we...ne-irma-broward-wednesday-20170913-story.html

That is sad. They should have done better with getting some air circulating for those people. I think people have forgot how to survive without air conditioning. It was not even that hot that if they would have had them outside in the shade instead of cooped up they might have done better.

Brad Bishop

I don't think you understand the magnitude of the project that would be required to move a large amount of wiring underground....

"North Carolina's Utility Commission looked into burying power lines after more than 2 million homes were left without electricity in the storms of 2002. Th commission found that the project would cost $41 billion, take 25 years to complete, and would require that customers' electricity rates nearly double to pay for it — leading the commission to conclude that it would be "prohibitively expensive.""

https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/climate-weather/stories/why-doesnt-america-bury-its-power-lines

It seems like one of those deals where you'd do it going forward. Like all new/replacement lines get that treatment but the stuff standing today still stands until it needs to be replaced. Doesn't mean it's cheap, though.

lazyboy97o

That is sad. They should have done better with getting some air circulating for those people. I think people have forgot how to survive without air conditioning. It was not even that hot that if they would have had them outside in the shade instead of cooped up they might have done better.
This really is a big problem throughout the United States that only exacerbates these types of situations. So much of what is built is shoddy design that gives no consideration to the local climate.

Kkar

It seems like one of those deals where you'd do it going forward. Like all new/replacement lines get that treatment but the stuff standing today still stands until it needs to be replaced. Doesn't mean it's cheap, though.
I've been saying this for years. Anytime there's a road project that requires digging (i.e. new sewer lines), there should be a mandate that any above-ground power lines get buried at the same time. Yes, there's a one-time cost, but I believe having power outages due to lines being ripped out by a storm for days/weeks/months creates a far larger negative economic impact on a region.

donsullivan

Premium Member
You can't generalize "Florida" when it comes to electric bills. The poster lives in SoFla. With a pool, and especially certain pools, and depending on the size of your house, and what's in your house, it is not uncommon to have electric bills upwards of 400. An "average" of an entire state isn't going to show you that.

Anyway, Before labeling people dealing with a storm as "grossly exaggerating", or choosing to focus on that one line, you could actually maybe just feel a little bad for families who are in that mess right now.

I live in central Florida and I can attest to the high power bill situation. There are a lot of variables that can impact it. I've made a bunch of changes to finally stabilize mine just below $300 including a pool during the summer but a couple of years ago in a different house, with an old (12 years) inefficient A/C system and pool my power bills were regularly over $400 during the summer and I live alone in the house. If there were multiple people in the house it would certainly be a whole lot more than that. If folks have a larger house, multiple people and an older, inefficient cooling system it would be easy to see that power bill approach $500/mth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom