Hurricane Irma

Sped2424

You're in the eye then?
There is no eye anymore it's an eyewall!
DCT_SPECIAL2_1280x720.jpg

Once the eyewall passes the area that's a wrap on the worst of it for that area thankfully. Still dealing with big gusts and 50+ wind speeds but nothing compared to what the eye wall has in store.

The Empress Lilly

Sorry to hear that man. Looks like we'll both be drying out carpets tomorrow.
It's my hotel room. ;)

Towels can't stop the rainwater from seeping through from the outside corridor. It's not too bad, I just keep forgetting I get wet feet when I walk near the door.
Good luck with the cleaning up tomorrow!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1 AM Update:

Still crawling NNW. Almost to the point of its closest passing of Tampa Bay. Almost has WDW in it's hurricane wind field. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/09/05/us/hurricane-irma-map.html

View attachment 228363

Power: 56% of Florida with outage. 48% of Orange County with outage.

The Southeast counties have had some power restored (going down from the 90% to the 70% range. But the rest of the state has seen outages increase. https://poweroutage.us/Area/State/Florida

View attachment 228364

Moving even more eastward. Finally passed Tampa. Probably as close to Orlando as it will get. Breaking apart, but the Tropical Storm wind field is freakin' huge and will cause high winds going up into Georgia and beyond for another full day. On top of that, strong bands of heavy rains, gusts, and possible tornadoes.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/09/05/us/hurricane-irma-map.html

upload_2017-9-11_2-28-3.png

Power -- Orange County: 50% outage. Florida state: 58%

https://poweroutage.us/Area/State/Florida

yoda_5729

Hope everyone is able to find shelter, and be as comfortable as possible. Just because it's over, be cautious, as some of the wreckage left behind can still be dangerous, so be cautious, and stay safe.

smp2k6

You're in the eye then?
Yes.

Irma no longer has a fully formed eye (with high winds). So, the northern half of the eye that exists has passed us I believe. We're dealing with the lower winds of the southern half of the eye. Basically the northeast quadrant of Irma (which is usually the worst part of a hurricane) is now past WDW.

Attachments

• Irma's eye north of WDW 2am.JPG
    Irma's eye north of WDW 2am.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Irma's eye north of WDW closeup 2am.JPG
    Irma's eye north of WDW closeup 2am.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 111

cosmicgirl

Good morning everyone, I hope you're all still safe and dry.

I don't know about that....we're at Pop Century and are having a similar experience. The arcade is free, I've seen Woody and a toy soldier and Jake from the Neverland pirate show. They were also handing out coloring sheets and doing hula hoops on the center lobby. They are handling things extremely well imo!
Thank you for sharing that, I'm glad to hear it. How is/was the food situation at Pop? Were they doing a buffet as well, or just the sandwich bags? And before anyone attacks me again: I'm just curious, it's my nature. I shouldn't have to write a disclaimer to excuse that, even if the resort experience is about as low-priority as it can get.

The magicbands are a nice touch :D.

IMFearless

I was supposed to be going to Disney tomorrow but had to reschedule until the first week of March, still kinda bummed, can anyone cheer me up with stuff to look forward to at springtime in Disney? I've only ever been in the fall before.

The weather is better!

Flower & Garden is beautiful in Epcot, much like Food & Wine but less bad behaviour from drunks.

The opening hours are generally longer around that time of year.

Plus you will have your trip to look forward to for another 6 months.

Musicman20

How is everyone doing? I have been watching from the UK and hoping you are all safe. We have some awful weather here right now but NOTHING like the hurricane....I hope it hasn't been as bad as expected.

I was there last year and the hurricane during late Sept/October was fairly tame compared to Irma.

The weather is better!

Flower & Garden is beautiful in Epcot, much like Food & Wine but less bad behaviour from drunks.

The opening hours are generally longer around that time of year.

Plus you will have your trip to look forward to for another 6 months.
Thanks, I feel a lot better! and that was part of my thinking next Sunday when I'm supposed to be flying home I won't have to be sad I'll still have my vacation to look forward too! That and Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming up soon so even more stuff to look forward too!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom