Hurricane Irma

wdwms

So if the right side of the eyewall (whats left of it) clips WDW, it will be worse
but if it moves further west another 50 miles, impact will be reduced.. forecast is shifting west w/each update.
Last night the eye was set to go right over WDW, hence now the forecast for winds there are dropping.

Where it turns north is KEY

Wind forecaster: https://digital.weather.gov/?zoom=6...sh&wunits=english&coords=latlon&tunits=localt

Nubs70

The castle yeah, but I may have fell for this as well momentarily.. at least enough to actually see if it was true.. the castle I would have laughed and moved on.

View attachment 227588
After seeking secondary sources, all I see is Turkey point shutting down not terminating power. Turkey Point will drop control rods, disconnect from grid, and coast to a stop with remaining steam and finally diesel generators to power cooling water.

21stamps

Walkie talkie type app. Rumors were going around it would work without cell service but they've come out said you need wifi or at least cell service at 2g.

Thank you. I downloaded it and added everyone a few minutes ago. I don't see how it will help if needs 2g.. but I guess we'll find out.

After seeking secondary sources, all I see is Turkey point shutting down not terminating power. Turkey Point will drop control rods, disconnect from grid, and coast to a stop with remaining steam and finally diesel generators to power cooling water.

Yep. I don't know why someone made that post. Can't blame my friend for sharing it, luckily she found out quickly that it wasn't true.

My aunt and uncle are from Summerland key and staying with my parents in Ft Myers. They brought two cars up, with everything they may want to keep in case they come back to no home...

I really hope they still have a home, and bridges to get back to their home.

Figgy1

Premium Member
The castle yeah, but I may have fell for this as well momentarily.. at least enough to actually see if it was true.. the castle I would have laughed and moved on.

View attachment 227588
Makes sense, lessens the chance for live downed wires. I was thankful mine did it for Sandy because I had wires in my street after the storm. Word of warning if you have a wire down by you assume it is live!

I can see how people who are not familiar with nuclear plants would confuse the issue and assume that because the plants are cutting from the grid that they will lose power.

That point about "damaging anything" means beginning shutdown/cool down so, if events transpire, Turkey Point does not do a full on Fukashima.

This is key... the thing you don't want to happen is for a HPWR nuclear plant to lose power to the cooling pumps... that is when bad things (Fukashima) happen.

Even if people were to lose power because of Turkey Point and St. Lucie shutdowns it would be far safer for the plants to prepare and ensure all safety equipment is working correctly.

Stay safe all my friends on in the path of this beast...

MySmallWorldof4

From what my friends have told me, a good amount of people chose to say. No one in our group, thankfully.

Apparently plenty of people didn't have a place to go, hotels are gone, didn't want to ride a bus to a shelter in Dade County.. so chose to ride it out. I think if the military evacuated, then probably all civilians should take that as a sign to get the heck out, even if it's taking a long bus ride to a shelter.

Does anyone know if most of the boats have been evacuated from the Keys? I can't watch the webcams here. I have to believe that anyone living on one has at least gone to the island.
I checked on marinetraffic.com and there were no boats there for the most part.

crxbrett

Its that and safety, there is no way anyone should be out on Sunday or Monday. The storm will ramp up mid-day Sunday into Monday morning. I'd expect the parks to be closed Tuesday as well, or limited parks, depending on when it pulls away and how much time they have to to start restoring things and damage levels. I can see the wood construction walls at the studios sailing around and crashing into things..

They took down the wood walls so fortunately that will not happen. But yeah, if the hurricane is expected to hit Orlando on late Sunday/early Monday, I'd expect the parks to remain closed until Tuesday. They will need a day or two to cleanup before opening back up.

BoarderPhreak

Not... Even... Funny.

Attachments

• 21317786_10155771116523573_5294233829949464093_n.jpg
    21317786_10155771116523573_5294233829949464093_n.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 105

IanDLBZF

Universal will close at 7 PM Saturday and will remain closed through Monday. SeaWorld and Busch Gardens will close 5 PM tomorrow and remain closed through Monday. Disney I'd assume will close tomorrow evening and remain closed Sunday and possibly Monday (Disney needs to close the buses, monorails, and Minnie Van's when sustained winds hit 35 MPH).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom