Hurricane Irma

Laketravis

It's what we use at the ocean up here in the mid Atlantic because it also gives another barrier to wind driven water. Wind driven water can beat many window designs/installs. The shutter system isn't 100% waterproof itself but provides the barrier that makes a huge difference... and of course debris protection... but that is less of a need the higher up you are

Hurricane shutters can work pretty good until the forces are enough to take out the wall they are attached to. This hotel had them on the first floor:

21192168_10154810240726524_8997954875267767903_n.jpg

21314452_10154810240691524_5364363177030563479_n.jpg

(Holiday Inn at Port Aransas after Harvey).

flynnibus

Premium Member
Hurricane shutters can work pretty good until the forces are enough to take out the wall they are attached to. This hotel had them on the first floor:

21192168_10154810240726524_8997954875267767903_n.jpg

21314452_10154810240691524_5364363177030563479_n.jpg

(Holiday Inn at Port Aransas after Harvey).

Well direct hit from a cat4 is a case of its own.... it's the 0.01% scenario.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The laminated impact glass works quite well, but the bill to replace them after they have been hit will make you wish your house blew away.

One of the best solutions I saw was the use of motorized metal roll up shutters. The total cost was nearly double that of impact glass, but all the homeowner had to do was turn a key and every window and door would be covered. Not only did it work great for storms, but it made the house a fortress when they left for any length of time.

I always wonder why hinged outdoor shutters are so seldom used, especially in hurricane and tornado alleys. I grew up in the Northeast and would see news reports of people nailing plywood over windows and kept thinking... why not install shutters?

Last edited:

monykalyn

So I'm here in Disney at the moment. Worried about the storm, we leave Saturday 9am to go back to Philly. As you would expect it's business as usual at the moment. Talked a little to staff today and a girl we know in the College Program. The resident staff seemed concerned but said that we should be fine for our flight out unless something changes. They seemed concerned about it but mostly seemed stressed. The CP friend of ours basicly said the rumor mill is crazy and you would think the world was ending. She did say however that Disney is working on the emergency plans enertainment should the parks close, suspension of the buses, how they are going to feed everyone ect.

We are at CBR so on the off chance we have to ride this thing out we are well prepared to eat in a FEMA Tent... bad CBR joke. In all seriousness the resort is beautiful and if it was not for the food tent and missing amenities you would never know the resort was ripped apart. Atleast not from Trinidad North where we are. Anyway I will try and post anything relevant to storm prep or what I hear regarding the storm. Just hope we get out before it gets bad and pray it's not as bad as they say it is.
If you see a very tall girl riding around on a golf car/trash truck from Univeristynof Arkansas that's my kid (also college program). Hoping she she gets called for ride out duty this weekend so she is onsite instead of her apartment. Hope you have a safe and uneventful trip home and the rain holds off for you!

lazyboy97o

I always wonder why hinged outdoor shutters are so seldom used, especially in hurricane and tornado alleys. I grew up in the Northeast and would see new reports of people nailing plywood over windows and kept thinking... why not install shutters?
Because the HOA, determined to protect property values, only allows non-operable faux shutters that are clearly too small to ever cover the window. :banghead:

cheezbat

Out shopping tonight and everyone here in central Florida is going crazy. Tons of people at the gas stations filling up, no water at Winn Dixie, Publix, Target, Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, etc... I ran into a few cast members and they're pretty nervous about this one. The weather centers have everybody getting nervous.
Living ten minutes from Disney, I'm hoping the impact here if it does hit us isn't too bad.

BuddyThomas

All, take this very seriously. I lived in Miami (actually Hialeah) in 1992 when Andrew came in.

That hurricane had winds of 175 mph. It was Cat 5.

No one I knew was too worried because we were far enough away from the ocean and had not lived through any major hurricane before. We figured we would be fine.

It knocked structures to the ground all over South Florida, it tore off part of the roof of our apartment, and electricity was gone for weeks, which was really not too fun in South Florida, in August. The major damage was in Florida City and the Homestead areas, way south, but we got it bad too. Below a few pics.

andrew1.jpg

Andrew 2.jpg

Andrew 3.jpg

Stay safe everyone, and evacuate if you're told to do so.

disney4life2008

Out shopping tonight and everyone here in central Florida is going crazy. Tons of people at the gas stations filling up, no water at Winn Dixie, Publix, Target, Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, etc... I ran into a few cast members and they're pretty nervous about this one. The weather centers have everybody getting nervous.
Living ten minutes from Disney, I'm hoping the impact here if it does hit us isn't too bad.

Its the same on the east side near ucf. But they did the same thing last year and nothing happened in Orlando.

Alicia McDonnell

Bf and I just moved my 21st birthday trip (9/8-9/12) to October.. Jet Blue waved the changing fee, but still had to pay a difference of 180 each..
So upset I lost all my good FP's and my reservation to BOG... :sad1:

We decided its not worth the risk of going to Florida and getting stuck there or having the parks close on our short trip.

Good luck to everyone in whatever decision you make.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
Bf and I just moved my 21st birthday trip (9/8-9/12) to October.. Jet Blue waved the changing fee, but still had to pay a difference of 180 each..
So upset I lost all my good FP's and my reservation to BOG... :sad1:

We decided its not worth the risk of going to Florida and getting stuck there or having the parks close on our short trip.

Good luck to everyone in whatever decision you make.
Still second guessing myself ... and we leave for the airport in an hour. :jawdrop:

I'm really, really, really hoping that this is just a couple of days of heavy rain and crazy wind, and being bored out of our minds, stuck in our room; and nothing like what @BuddyThomas has demonstrated.

His pictures reminded me of a WKRP in Cincinnati episode.
IMG_6443.JPG

MerlinTheGoat

I live less than 15 miles northeast of WDW. So a bit concerned. One of our neighbors has already evacuated. But another (and others in the area) is going to ride it out doesn't seem too concerned. Most everyone nearby has been here FAR longer than myself, some since the community was built.

I've lived in Florida for about 7 years now (formerly Naples for 5 of those), so i'm not experienced personally with the more devastating storms. I previously went through a severe flood up in Tennessee back in 2010 though which ruined my previous house (FEMA helped somewhat). Will be awful to have another home wrecked. The house I live in now was built in the early 1970s and as far as I know has not been battered too significantly by a storm yet. Same with the surrounding homes in the neighborhood, many of which were built around the same time.

We shall see whether we can continue to avoid any serious damage. Quite worried.

rob0519

The governor has already lifted turnpike tolls here in Florida as of 5:00 pm today. I believe this is an effort to help alleviate concerns for those who may not evacuate because they can't afford the tolls.

I doubt the tolls were lifted for financial reasons. The tolls were most likely lifted to avoid backups at the toll booths as people leave.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom