Hurricane Irma

21stamps

Anyone in Florida should be concerned. Homestead was nearly wiped off the map after Andrew...and it's not directly on the Atlantic Coast. No matter where Irma hits in Florida, it's going to be bad.

Not trying to be Chicken Little here. Just saying this storm has the potential to be the one Florida has been dreading since 2005. Living in NW Florida, I've never been as worried about being impacted by a storm of this magnitude (other than Katrina before she made a bee line for New Orleans) - and I'm 40 miles inland.

That is what concerns me the most. There is not an inland in Monroe county, there's only north, and even then you drive over 100 miles North, you are still on the tip of the Southern peninsula. If they do order a mandatory evacuation by that point not everyone will be able to get out anyway. I don't think I have been this frightened for the keys since Wilma. They were spared then and I would rather see Irma take the same path than to hit those islands directly.

21stamps

Anyone who wants to apply for it, the Florida vanity license plate "EVAQ8" is still available... ;)

The problem is when people evacuate, by car, when they don't need to. There are millions of people on barrier islands, in mobile homes, and other areas of almost-always mandatory evacuation zones. It is not wise to drive and cause more of a back up on the highway when some people need to get out. The best thing is to stay inland, but don't drive North unless you are told to.

I think it's fine this early, but the closer we get to the weekend the less people who should be driving north. Keep the roads open.

plutofan15

We were in Disney in 1999 when Hurricane Floyd closed the parks - I believe that this was the first time the parks had ever closed. Anyway, below are some photos of the letters we received and one of us loading up on "supplies". Looking at these pictures, I relieve that I have become old. Stay safe.
upload_2017-9-5_9-39-51.jpeg

upload_2017-9-5_9-40-8.jpeg

upload_2017-9-5_9-40-20.jpeg

upload_2017-9-5_9-40-31.jpeg

upload_2017-9-5_9-40-48.jpeg

disneygeek90

The problem is when people evacuate, by car, when they don't need to. There are millions of people on barrier islands, in mobile homes, and other areas of almost-always mandatory evacuation zones. It is not wise to drive and cause more of a back up on the highway when some people need to get out. The best thing is to stay inland, but don't drive North unless you are told to.

I think it's fine this early, but the closer we get to the weekend the less people who should be driving north. Keep the roads open.
I have my parents and my brother that live on the coasts that are growing more concerned. Even though Orlando is "inland," it's doesn't feel too much safer when looking where the line of the potential storm is going.

JohnD

Original Poster
As much as I wouldn't wish this storm on Cubans, I sure hope she hits Cuba, gets weakened by those mountains and changes to an easterly track.

Headed back to Tally from the current bliss of Amelia Island. I'll check in later today. I'm keeping spirits up by listening to WDW music.

Last edited:

deeevo

FYI...Publix has cases of water on sale for $2.99 each. I bought 12 cases yesterday. Also Amazon is the best place to buy batteries. I bought 48 AA's this morning for $11 and they sell LED camping lanterns $30 for a 4 pack. I just had to move my F&W overnight trip today. I will probably start boarding up Saturday.

dclfan

We are supposed to arrive Friday. It's my understanding that hurricane warnings go out 36 hours in advance, so not likely to get one before our arrival if the hurricane is predicted for Sunday/Monday time frame. Does that mean we are going to have to make a decision on Wednesday to fit into their normal 2 - 30 day out refund policy? I don't expect that the path is going to be that certain on Wednesday to know for sure what to do. I have a small child and don't think I want to come in a hurricane but I also don't want to cancel when the path is still uncertain. I'm just not sure what to do! So stressful already. I hope I wake up tomorrow and it has made a major shift.

Disney will be very accommodating if you end up having to shift your plans. I was living in NYC when Ivan hit. JFK grounded all flights the night before we were set to leave. Called Disney and they were waiving all fees. Told us to call the airline first and see when we could get on a flight and then call them back and they will transfer our dates. We ended up leaving on a Wednesday instead of a Saturday and getting a bonus night in Disney for the same price.

I am (planning) on driving from Alabama to Disney World for a week long vacation starting Saturday, Sept 9.

I'm really not that concerned in the immediate Orlando area for a real catastrophic event unless it were to make landfall somewhere near or just south of Tampa and pass directly over the parks.

However, I feel it is becoming very likely that the parks will have at least 1 if not 2 unusable days due to rain and wind. Things should be fine when we check in Saturday night and when we check out the following week, but how do they handle partial refunds if you make the trip which I still want to do? I've heard I can cancel the whole thing without penalty when the Hurricane Watches/Warnings go up for central Florida, but what about if a couple days are effected... what is the procedure?

I figure ya'll would probably have a decent idea of what happens in these types of scenarios, though I realize every situation is a little different.

Princess Leia

So, I'm an Ohio resident, but my sister lives in Houston. Fortunately, she was able to come home for about a week and a half (mostly because our grandma passed away, but we like to think that it was Grandma who got her out of Houston before the storm hit). She flew back yesterday, and was incredibly lucky in terms of property damage. Her car was fine, and her apartment only suffered minimal damage (there was a hole in the ceiling, but that's minor compared to what a lot of others came home to).

People really didn't have a lot of time to prep for Harvey, and the opposite is happening now. There is time to prepare for Irma. If you're in the potential storm area, have an evacuation plan. Fill up your vehicles with gasoline. Stock up on water and non-perishable foods. Make sure that you've got extra batteries, and for any strictly electronic devices, keep them fully charged (might not be a bad idea to get wireless phone charger). Personally, I would not want to ride this storm out, but I can't stop you if you choose to do so.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I live in FL, and one preparation step is to locate your evacuation zone, and route - along with alternate routes. In some cases, all you have to do is move a block or two to escape from a zone A (will definitely flood with heavy rainfall) to a zone F - in the least danger of flooding. When Floyd was heading our way, our next door neighbors made the mistake of evacuating to Tifton, GA. Or at least that was their plan. They got stuck on the road for hours, and just refilled and headed back after the storm passed (it actually made landfall in Charleston, SC.) They didn't need to be on the road at all, but there are people who MUST evacuate to save their lives so please let them go first.

It will be a terrible, frightening experience to ride out the storm, but unless a tornado hits my house, I'll survive. I have maximum homeowners insurance ($$$$) and flood insurance, even though I'm not on a flood plain. I have a generator and 3 cars - my old van is our back-up car for moving large items, and the tank is filled and is our back-up gas supply. Along with gas containers in the garage. I also have an old-fashioned siphon in my hurricane supplies. I am as well prepared as I can be, but know that I've missed something. Last time I didn't have enough air freshener and fly strips, so I now have a good supply.

I don't understand people who have no drinking water the day after the storm hits - unless their home has been flooded or destroyed. People, everyone in FL should know it's coming by now. For the next week, instead of tossing that empty soda or milk container, save the cap, scrub it out really well, and put it aside. If the storm is definitely headed your way, start filling all of those containers and put them in a high place. Freeze some of them to fill any gaps in your freezer, so you can use it as a cooler for a couple of days. If you have a tub, fill it with water to use for flushing toilets.

Every news website has a Hurricane preparedness list - read it and prepare as best as you can. As mentioned, start now - or yesterday, as many did! If you don't use the supplies this time, save them for next time.

Georgia isn't going to be a viable evacuation location for tbis storm....

Don't forget the bathtub(s). Clean them out with bleach, fill them up and you have a source of water for flushing toilets if local water is unusable. Rule is 1 gallon of water per person per day for drinking, brushing teeth, etc. Be prepared to take care of yourself for 1 week. Manual can opener. Corded phone - why I never got rid if my land line. Fill all gas tanks.

Mom, good idea about gallon jugs - justc leave room for expansion when the water freezes. Not only will they help prolong food in freezer, stick a few in your fridge. A full freezer will last around 48 hours.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am (planning) on driving from Alabama to Disney World for a week long vacation starting Saturday, Sept 9.

I'm really not that concerned in the immediate Orlando area for a real catastrophic event unless it were to make landfall somewhere near or just south of Tampa and pass directly over the parks.

However, I feel it is becoming very likely that the parks will have at least 1 if not 2 unusable days due to rain and wind. Things should be fine when we check in Saturday night and when we check out the following week, but how do they handle partial refunds if you make the trip which I still want to do? I've heard I can cancel the whole thing without penalty when the Hurricane Watches/Warnings go up for central Florida, but what about if a couple days are effected... what is the procedure?

I figure ya'll would probably have a decent idea of what happens in these types of scenarios, though I realize every situation is a little different.
From what I remember of past instances, Disney was very good about refunding prepaid shows, party tickets, etc, but I don't recall them refunding park days or rooms. They will also allow you to cancel outright without penalty if a hurricane warning is issued within 7 days of your arrival date.

Why would Georgia not be a viable evacuation location? *Orlando* will be a viable evacuation place, as will Gainesville, and further up the coast. As we get a better idea of where the storm heads, Jacksonville and Tallahassee will likely be viable. Everywhere in Georgia except possibly the immediate coast will be totally viable for evacuating... if you can find hotel rooms.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Don't forget the bathtub(s). Clean them out with bleach, fill them up and you have a source of water for flushing toilets if local water is unusable. Rule is 1 gallon of water per person per day for drinking, brushing teeth, etc. Be prepared to take care of yourself for 1 week. Manual can opener. Corded phone - why I never got rid if my land line. Fill all gas tanks.

Mom, good idea about gallon jugs - justc leave room for expansion when the water freezes. Not only will they help prolong food in freezer, stick a few in your fridge. A full freezer will last around 48 hours.
Gallon size ziploc bags work great for this. You can also fit a bunch more ziploc bags in your freezer than something like gallon jugs.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Florida learned its lesson after 2004/2005. Both I-75 and I-95 will become one way highways (all lanes), usually northbound. The state may do the same to the Turnpike.

My advice? If you don't really have to travel to Florida next week, start considering delaying your trip. Not that we wouldn't love to have you (and the taxes you generate), but this storm has the potential to impact a large part of the state.

disneygeek90

Why would Georgia not be a viable evacuation location? *Orlando* will be a viable evacuation place, as will Gainesville, and further up the coast. As we get a better idea of where the storm heads, Jacksonville and Tallahassee will likely be viable. Everywhere in Georgia except possibly the immediate coast will be totally viable for evacuating... if you can find hotel rooms.
I wouldn't be so sure that Orlando and Jax will be viable choices to evacuate. This thing could swallow the entire state easily.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom