Hurricane Irma

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
So we are in a bit of a different spot than many of the people discussing it here. As I said way upstream, we are not scheduled to arrive in advance of Irma. Our main package does not begin until next Tuesday. We had planned to actually arrive the night before, but could easily dump that extra night with little to no impact to our plans. Based on what we know so far, what would folks here suggest for someone who is scheduled to be on the back end of this thing? Is it likely to be done and gone by Tuesday? Is it too soon to consider changing those plans? Or should we be going ahead and moving things?

Thanks.

Irma has a large wind field. One projected path has her coming up Central Florida. I wouldn't change plans just yet. Should know more by Thursday. You don't really want to come after the storm passes through, especially if the projected Central Florida track is accurate. Efforts will be focused on recovery.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I live here in Central Florida (Windermere to be exact) and people are making preparations already, as they should be. WESH 2 news (Amy Sweezey, swoon lol) is saying it may impact us here by Sunday or Monday. As people keep noting, it is still too early to tell how it will impact Florida. I have family down in Cape Coral (Lee County) and people there are preparing for the worst.

Do what you feel is best. Monitor this thing and just prepare yourself whether you are here or coming here....and also, Jose isn't far behind apparently

Everything I heard is Monday at the earliest. Time to go NOW to get those essentials.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
Everything I heard is Monday at the earliest. Time to go NOW to get those essentials.
You're not wrong. Earliest impact is Sunday according to WESH (my preferred news outlet) but I did see others saying Monday. It's never too early to get the essentials (water, batteries, Mickey bars). I know there will inevitably be the people on here saying "I don't panic unless it's a Cat 4 when it hits Florida." Personally, I'd rather be safe than sorry

LAKid53

Premium Member
I live here in Central Florida (Windermere to be exact) and people are making preparations already, as they should be. WESH 2 news (Amy Sweezey, swoon lol) is saying it may impact us here by Sunday or Monday. As people keep noting, it is still too early to tell how it will impact Florida. I have family down in Cape Coral (Lee County) and people there are preparing for the worst.

Do what you feel is best. Monitor this thing and just prepare yourself whether you are here or coming here....and also, Jose isn't far behind apparently

Noooooooo!!!!! Not another 2004/2005

JohnD

Original Poster
Governor Scott just declared a state of emergency for all 67 counties. Projected landfall are southern tip of Florida, Naples or Ft. Walton Beach. Category 5 at 175 mph.

Oh, lordy....another Andrew

@JohnD, can you imagine if Irma hits Ft. Walton at that strength....and we're on the backside?! There won't be a tree left in town...and we'll be dark for several weeks.:eek::cry:

In other words projected landfall is anywhere on the Florida Gulf Coast. Yikes

LAKid53

Premium Member
You're not wrong. Earliest impact is Sunday according to WESH (my preferred news outlet) but I did see others saying Monday. It's never too early to get the essentials (water, batteries, Mickey bars). I know there will inevitably be the people on here saying "I don't panic unless it's a Cat 4 when it hits Florida." Personally, I'd rather be safe than sorry

I've lived through 2 hurricanes. One was a weak Category 2, the other was a weak Category 1. Was without power for nearly a week with both. I cannot imagine what it would be like to have an Andrew hit NW Florida, at high tide.

The only thing that saved South Florida with Andrew? Where the storm hit..and the fact it was moving at 15 mph. It blew through, literally.

21stamps

As much as I wouldn't wish this storm on Cubans, I sure hope she hits Cuba, gets weakened by those mountains and changes to an easterly track.

No! Unless it weaken tremendously, Can you imagine the hit on those islands? It's not possible for everyone to evacuate.

Key West is 90 miles from Cuba.. Miami is @ 160 miles North of Key West I think.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Hopefully not.

When did this change? Sorry, not that I want a hit on the Gulf, but anything that projects towards the mainland could most likely spare a lot of life.

The three frequently used models (European, GFS and one other) have landfall somewhere along Florida's Gulf Coast from Monroe up to Walton Counties. And projected to head into Georgia. To quote one forecaster, "this is bigger than Charlie"

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
I've lived through 2 hurricanes. One was a weak Category 2, the other was a weak Category 1. Was without power for nearly a week with both. I cannot imagine what it would be like to have an Andrew hit NW Florida, at high tide.

The only thing that saved South Florida with Andrew? Where the storm hit..and the fact it was moving at 15 mph. It blew through, literally.
Yikes. My last memory was of Sandy and that was awful so I can't even begin to imagine what a Cat 3 or higher would be like. Not to sound cliché but it's totally true what everyone says, prepare for the worst but hope for the best

LAKid53

Premium Member
No! Unless it weaken tremendously, Can you imagine the hit on those islands? It's not possible for everyone to evacuate.

Key West is 90 miles from Cuba.. Miami is @ 160 miles North of Key West I think.

Something needs to weaken that storm before it gets into the very warm Gulf. Remember, one thing that allowed Harvey to become the devastating storm it was were the 2-3 degree warmer than normal Gulf waters. Just saw the satellite photo - this is a very compact storm with a very defined eye.

21stamps

The three frequently used models (European, GFS and one other) have landfall somewhere along Florida's Gulf Coast from Monroe up to Walton Counties. And projected to head into Georgia. To quote one forecaster, "this is bigger than Charlie"

Ah ok. I don't consider Monroe County as the Gulf Coast (even though technically the Gulf is there lol).. I have a standing invite to all who lives on those islands, I'm less concerned with the mainland SoFla crew. They're all preparing, but not making any decisions until later on. I'm praying for Western movement, and weakening.

Something needs to weaken that storm before it gets into the very warm Gulf. Remember, one thing that allowed Harvey to become the devastating storm it was were the 2-3 degree warmer than normal Gulf waters. Just saw the satellite photo - this is a very compact storm with a very defined eye.

I think someone earlier said that this was bigger than Wilma, I haven't seen that and hope it is not. I also hope it moves faster than Harvey!

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yikes. My last memory was of Sandy and that was awful so I can't even begin to imagine what a Cat 3 or higher would be like. Not to sound cliché but it's totally true what everyone says, prepare for the worst but hope for the best

And Sandy, technically wasn't a hurricane.

I agree, this is going to be ugly....

Projecting tropical force winds in Miami by Thursday, at the latest.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
They say it's supposed to be a cat. 4 by the time it reaches the coast, and is unknown if it's gonna turn north off either the east coast or the west coast of the state.

FigmentForver96

The saddest part about this is unless something just snatches it north ( that window has pretty much closed) someone has to suffer through it. That's the scary thing. At this point it WILL make landfall and people will be effected. Everyone just needs to avoid panic, not let the media scare them and start planning now. Things can change but being prepared is the smartest thing to do.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Ah ok. I don't consider Monroe County as the Gulf Coast (even though technically the Gulf is there lol).. I have a standing invite to all who lives on those islands, I'm less concerned with the mainland SoFla crew. They're all preparing, but not making any decisions until later on. I'm praying for Western movement, and weakening.

I think someone earlier said that this was bigger than Wilma, I haven't seen that and hope it is not. I also hope it moves faster than Harvey!

Anyone in Florida should be concerned. Homestead was nearly wiped off the map after Andrew...and it's not directly on the Atlantic Coast. No matter where Irma hits in Florida, it's going to be bad.

Not trying to be Chicken Little here. Just saying this storm has the potential to be the one Florida has been dreading since 2005. Living in NW Florida, I've never been as worried about being impacted by a storm of this magnitude (other than Katrina before she made a bee line for New Orleans) - and I'm 40 miles inland.

The Mom

Premium Member
I live in FL, and one preparation step is to locate your evacuation zone, and route - along with alternate routes. In some cases, all you have to do is move a block or two to escape from a zone A (will definitely flood with heavy rainfall) to a zone F - in the least danger of flooding. When Floyd was heading our way, our next door neighbors made the mistake of evacuating to Tifton, GA. Or at least that was their plan. They got stuck on the road for hours, and just refilled and headed back after the storm passed (it actually made landfall in Charleston, SC.) They didn't need to be on the road at all, but there are people who MUST evacuate to save their lives so please let them go first.

It will be a terrible, frightening experience to ride out the storm, but unless a tornado hits my house, I'll survive. I have maximum homeowners insurance ($$$$) and flood insurance, even though I'm not on a flood plain. I have a generator and 3 cars - my old van is our back-up car for moving large items, and the tank is filled and is our back-up gas supply. Along with gas containers in the garage. I also have an old-fashioned siphon in my hurricane supplies. I am as well prepared as I can be, but know that I've missed something. Last time I didn't have enough air freshener and fly strips, so I now have a good supply.

I don't understand people who have no drinking water the day after the storm hits - unless their home has been flooded or destroyed. People, everyone in FL should know it's coming by now. For the next week, instead of tossing that empty soda or milk container, save the cap, scrub it out really well, and put it aside. If the storm is definitely headed your way, start filling all of those containers and put them in a high place. Freeze some of them to fill any gaps in your freezer, so you can use it as a cooler for a couple of days. If you have a tub, fill it with water to use for flushing toilets.

Every news website has a Hurricane preparedness list - read it and prepare as best as you can. As mentioned, start now - or yesterday, as many did! If you don't use the supplies this time, save them for next time.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Irma has a large wind field. One projected path has her coming up Central Florida. I wouldn't change plans just yet. Should know more by Thursday. You don't really want to come after the storm passes through, especially if the projected Central Florida track is accurate. Efforts will be focused on recovery.
If I still lived anywhere on the peninsula, I think I'd be boarding up today, packing the 2-seater sports van tonite, and hitting the road about 2 am for the highlands of northern Georgia or northeast Alabama. I DEFINITELY wouldn't be flying into Orlando from anywhere starting tomorrow and until storm recovery is complete.

But that's just me...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom