Hurricane Irma

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It's a huge finger to cast members to suggest they show up to work in this kind of situation :(

Disney really needs to go to essential only for at least Monday
It does suck, but it is kind of the nature of the beast when you job is taking care of people that have no place else to go. You are going to see similar situations at nearly every hotel or resort in the state.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
At what point does the Governor order all the lanes on I-75, I-95 and the Turnpike heading north only. You've got both 95 and the Turnpike going from 3 lanes to 2 at Jupiter. With mandatory evacuations starting, wouldn't you want to get those roads cleared ASAP?

Minnie1986

WDW is very good about locking down and preparing for a hurricane. You'll be good for your October 4 trip (assuming no more hurricanes impacting). I'm still planning on arriving next week on 9/16.
Ditto. My trip is scheduled for 9/20 and I'm fully planning on showing up, so you should be fine for two weeks later.

LAKid53

Premium Member
For those of you with flights arriving Saturday through Monday, I suggest visiting the airport's website. MIA had a lot of info on their's from Delta, American, etc., regarding cancellations, waiving fees, etc. Everything in one spot, rather than bouncing around the web. Plus, all the major airports have Twitter accounts, so start following them.

Also, for those of you evacuating, download apps before you leave home. Floridadisaster.org has two really handy apps - one is the public media app which will be handy to get live info from all the public radio stations around the state and the other is the Florida Department of Emergency Management app.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
At what point does the Governor order all the lanes on I-75, I-95 and the Turnpike heading north only. You've got both 95 and the Turnpike going from 3 lanes to 2 at Jupiter. With mandatory evacuations starting, wouldn't you want to get those roads cleared ASAP?
Well Emergency vehicles and trucks with supplies will need to go South along with staging power trucks so I would think at least one lane is needed to get down the state.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Just saw a picture of the interchange where the Turnpike connects to I-75. Traffic is basically stalled. Good that people are taking this seriously.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I would think it pretty clear that this person's biggest concern is not the kiosk. It was a simple question, and not a totally unreasonable one. No need to shame someone.
My biggest thought is damage to the food and wine festival kiosks. I wonder if they could "take them down" today or tomorrow to protect them, or are they sturdy enough to withstand winds like that?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
My biggest thought is damage to the food and wine festival kiosks. I wonder if they could "take them down" today or tomorrow to protect them, or are they sturdy enough to withstand winds like that?
I think they may gamble it and hope for the best on those.

A lot of the ongoing construction must be of concern also. They have just put up 2 tower cranes on the Riviera site, along with one at Coronado Springs. Then there is all the Star Wars project that is half built along with cranes.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Well Emergency vehicles and trucks with supplies will need to go South along with staging power trucks so I would think at least one lane is needed to get down the state.

From what I just saw, very little traffic going south. Agree with you, leave one lane open southbound, if that's even feasible. But roads are already clogged and more traffic will be added.

disneygeek90

I chatted with Disney yesterday and they told me that they have no plans on closing any parks at this time. They advised that unless something changes that my flight in on Sunday morning should be fine and that I will be safe. I really hope this is right, so my wife and I are just going to continue with our trip and hope the hurricane continues the eastern trend.
I wouldn't trust that whatsoever. There will be a confirmation on flights in Orlando later today and I will be absolutely shocked if there will be any flights Sunday or Monday with this current track.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It does suck, but it is kind of the nature of the beast when you job is taking care of people that have no place else to go. You are going to see similar situations at nearly every hotel or resort in the state.

I was referring to the theme parks more than anything. Disney should be in minimize mode... not "we will wait till the last possible minute "

MOXOMUMD

Screenshot_2017-09-07-09-06-34(1).jpg

The sentiment on everyone's minds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom