Hurricane Irma

Tom Morrow

Anyone else in Orlando considering evacuating? This has my stomach in knots and I know my window for a clean escape is closing fast.

Songbird76

Last edited:

SamH

If Irma does hit Florida, are we anticipating much damage to Disney World? I go October 4th, and I don't really know much about hurricanes. Just a bit concerned. I hope everyone out there stays safe!

dolphinforces

Based on 5am update, I'd anticipate announcements by Disney today. Anything later than today would do a huge disservice to Cast Members, who need to have plans in place now. Strong Cat 1 winds at Disney a likely minimum based on local weather reports

SJH'72

Latest update from Hurricane Centre on the BBC....please stay safe guys

IMG_9026.PNG

Prince-1

If Irma does hit Florida, are we anticipating much damage to Disney World? I go October 4th, and I don't really know much about hurricanes. Just a bit concerned. I hope everyone out there stays safe!

Irma will most definitely be hitting Florida but as the last 56 pages of experts will tell you...Disney should be safe. Unless the storm makes a sharp left in Central Florida you will most likely see strong winds and heavy rains and then when it passes you will probably see downed trees and power lines with perhaps some superficial damage to buildings. However, as this is the largest hurricane in recorded history to form in the Atlantic it is not as easy to predict with certainty what will happen until it is over.

I chatted with Disney yesterday and they told me that they have no plans on closing any parks at this time. They advised that unless something changes that my flight in on Sunday morning should be fine and that I will be safe. I really hope this is right, so my wife and I are just going to continue with our trip and hope the hurricane continues the eastern trend.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I chatted with Disney yesterday and they told me that they have no plans on closing any parks at this time. They advised that unless something changes that my flight in on Sunday morning should be fine and that I will be safe. I really hope this is right, so my wife and I are just going to continue with our trip and hope the hurricane continues the eastern trend.
They won't give you any information on closures until decision is made, so don't read too much into the chat you had.

Based on previous years experience, and current forecasts, a park closure of some kind is highly likely.

Bolna

Orlando airport is closing at 5pm on Saturday. I don't think you will be able to fly in or out of MCO on Sunday.

ETA: Ok, I just saw that @wdwmagic just posted that MCO took down this notice and a final decision seems to not have been made yet.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It all depends on exactly the route the storm takes, but as of now it appears there will be 80mph+ winds in the theme park areas. There will likely be some damage from that, although I would not expect major long term disruption.

JohnD

Original Poster

WDW is very good about locking down and preparing for a hurricane. You'll be good for your October 4 trip (assuming no more hurricanes impacting). I'm still planning on arriving next week on 9/16.

JohnD

Original Poster
They won't give you any information on closures until decision is made, so don't read too much into the chat you had.

Based on previous years experience, and current forecasts, a park closure of some kind is highly likely.

Tropical update from WDW website:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/hurricane-irma-info/

Information on Hurricane Irma
Walt Disney World Resort is operating under normal conditions and continues to monitor the path of Hurricane Irma. For more information, review frequently asked questions regarding our hurricane policy.
In an effort to focus on Guests calling about Hurricane Irma, we ask if you have an arrival date after September 13th to please use the Help Center or live chat for vacation-related inquiries.

lazyboy97o

Orlando International Airport previously said they were stopping commercial flights at 5:00 PM Saturday. Based on current forecasts, Sunday morning seems like a very bad time to try to arrive.

Sans Souci

Check your airline reservation. I was due to fly in Saturday night. I got a text just after 6 EST that it was cancelled. My airline is letting my rebook at no additional charge or I can request a refund. I hope you can do the same. Good luck. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom