Hurricane Irma

HorseFly

I'm waiting on hold to cancel the room only reservation I have for 9/8-9/11. Just time to call this trip off and reschedule.

We're supposed to be checking on 9/8 too. I'm waiting until tomorrow because I have this ridiculous optimism that I'm gonna go to bed and the models are going to have it way off shore when I get up. I just hope the chat agent was right today when she said they wouldn't charge me any penalties to reschedule tomorrow.

JohnD

Original Poster
I'm hoping we're safe here in Tally. If Irma stays east coast the only thing I'm really worried about is losing power & if we do, how long it will be out for... Hermine was only a tropical storm last year and places were without power for nearly 2 weeks.

While we won't have a direct impact (I live in Tally too) as we both know, Tallahassee loves its canopy city. All it takes are some good wind gusts to blow over trees knocking down power lines. I think we'll get wind and rain, maybe tropical storm level, but not like Hermine.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'm hoping we're safe here in Tally. If Irma stays east coast the only thing I'm really worried about is losing power & if we do, how long it will be out for... Hermine was only a tropical storm last year and places were without power for nearly 2 weeks.

I don't know whether to like this or not. Current model shows us getting winds up to 120 mph - that exceeds Kate, if I remember. But the jet stream is heading south, so here's hoping it pushes Irma far, far away....

Let's all hope the City has learned from last year. Scott will be too busy with the rest of the state to step in this time. But I'm going to freeze all my meat into one big block of ice, just in case....

LAKid53

Premium Member
While we won't have a direct impact (I live in Tally too) as we both know, Tallahassee loves its canopy city. All it takes are some good wind gusts to blow over trees knocking down power lines. I think we'll get wind and rain, maybe tropical storm level, but not like Hermine.

John, I'm hoping you're right. Don't think folks in Indian Head want to experience that again.

No eye wall stalling over us will be appreciated. That's what killed Tallahassee.

JohnD

Original Poster
I don't know whether to like this or not. Current model shows us getting winds up to 120 mph - that exceeds Kate, if I remember. But the jet stream is heading south, so here's hoping it pushes Irma far, far away....

Let's all hope the City has learned from last year. Scott will be too busy with the rest of the state to step in this time. But I'm going to freeze all my meat into one big block of ice, just in case....

I keep checking the Weather Channel app. I see nothing more than 20-30 mph over the weekend. My church is still moving ahead with one service and dinner on the grounds on Sunday. They don't seem that worries about it.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I keep checking the Weather Channel app. I see nothing more than 20-30 mph over the weekend. My church is still moving ahead with one service and dinner on the grounds on Sunday. They don't seem that worries about it.

The Weather Channel needs to get in sync with its app.

celluloid

Yes, the storm seems to be going more east on many major projections. I will add though just as a reminder that the span of this storm and its pressure and wind(not just how big the clouds make it look) are huge. Central FL and the West coast will still likely have the Hurricane effects and those huge winds of over 100 MPH.

Family B

We're supposed to be checking on 9/8 too. I'm waiting until tomorrow because I have this ridiculous optimism that I'm gonna go to bed and the models are going to have it way off shore when I get up. I just hope the chat agent was right today when she said they wouldn't charge me any penalties to reschedule tomorrow.
Our trip was just to quick to risk it. We were risking not being able to leave on Monday. On a longer trip, I probably would have road it out. I lost my discount and Yacht Club :(. But better safe then spending days trying to get a flight home.

Hobnail Boot

We're getting twitchy around Savannah. If this forecast is right we're looking at a Cat 3 and big storm surge. FL, as in most of the state is going to get hammered. If you are headed to WDW this weekend cancel and give it up. Even next week may be dicey.

Here's a report from up in the Low Country.http://www.wtoc.com/clip/13680849/first-alert-tropical-update-at-5-pm-on-sept-6?clienttype=generic
Yeah, very twitchy. I read Tybee is holding a conference in the morning. I work on Whitemarsh so whatever they decide the rest of the islands are next.

Hoping and praying this thing turns away from the coast.

FigmentForver96

al112017.png
The newest models. Hopefully it keeps on moving on east. Although Miami and east coasters need to be ready and move if told so. South Carolina and Georgia now is the time to get ready cause it has its eye on you!

Delgado

I check in sept 16...is this something I need to worry about? I'm from the Midwest so I don't know much about lingering impact a hurricane has.

JohnD

Original Poster
al112017.png
The newest models. Hopefully it keeps on moving on east. Although Miami and east coasters need to be ready and move if told so. South Carolina and Georgia now is the time to get ready cause it has its eye on you!

Yep. The NHC update has it farther east again.

115000_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom