Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

Disstevefan1

The click bait thumbnails are the oldest trick in the book and these vloggers do not need to create these false thumbnails to get views, they would get them anyway. It’s just a bad show as they say in the parks.

I did watch a couple not because I was fooled by the thumbnails, but I really did want to see what it was like at the resorts during the hurricane.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Certain vloggers, including Mr. Unscrupulous, getting called out for their hurricane "coverage". So many of them, like those mentioned, are absolute garbage. And people ask me why I can't stand Disney vloggers. Folks livestreaming the day before touting "Hurricane Preparations" or "Parks open after Hurricane"...it's just so cringeworthy...but fans eat it up unfortunately.

I get this, BUT I'm also wildly curious how the parks handle Hurricaines, like so many other people are. After the storm passes, we all want to know how the parks are holding up, what got damaged, what flooded, what was opened and when, what food was offered, if water came through the door.

Like how @JohnD thought he was being picked on for being at the parks, which he wasn't (it was more just the unending park plans), because we all want that first hand experience view. It's interesting. I get why it's distasteful for the bloggers to flock there, but it's no different than storm chasers. It's valuable information for those of us that aren't there.

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
I get this, BUT I'm also wildly curious how the parks handle Hurricaines, like so many other people are. After the storm passes, we all want to know how the parks are holding up, what got damaged, what flooded, what was opened and when, what food was offered, if water came through the door.

Like how @JohnD thought he was being picked on for being at the parks, which he wasn't (it was more just the unending park plans), because we all want that first hand experience view. It's interesting. I get why it's distasteful for the bloggers to flock there, but it's no different than storm chasers. It's valuable information for those of us that aren't there.
I don't disagree that they can provide insight or a valuable service to those trying to determine whether they should keep their plans.

But I think most folks' issue is with the disgusting "sorry people are gonna die and/or lose all of their worldly possession, but LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE BELOW!" Or that horrible one mentioned in the article who took his family's reservation (no real issue there, especially if the hotels are safer than your residence), but then "took the last" meal kit when he had plenty of supplies back in his room. And his intro video was on this thread, and he was worried about his freaking hair at checkin.

So it isn't so much that they exist, it's the tone-deaf cringe they produce.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Certain vloggers, including Mr. Unscrupulous, getting called out for their hurricane "coverage". So many of them, like those mentioned, are absolute garbage. And people ask me why I can't stand Disney vloggers. Folks livestreaming the day before touting "Hurricane Preparations" or "Parks open after Hurricane"...it's just so cringeworthy...but fans eat it up unfortunately.

They’re scrum. Not breaking news

Stevek

I think there are some storm chasers that do a service, letting people know how storms are developing but I also think there are some very dumb ones that put themselves in danger just to get that shot. But if you read the article, the folks that were there were just being idiots and promoting for the sake of views and clicks. They were providing zero service to anyone...though for some people, the parks are everything they live and breathe for so maybe it's important to them for some reason.

We all don't want a first hand experience view. Some might, while some of us are more worried about people's homes being destroyed vs the resort that really was never in danger of having significant damage since the storm moved south. The parks have had decades of dealing with storms, we all know how they handle them at this point. Stuff is put away, all the same precautions are taken, guests are taken care of.

I get it, we're all fans of the parks but I have zero concern about the parks relative to those effected in "real life"

Maybe that's just me.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I don't disagree that they can provide insight or a valuable service to those trying to determine whether they should keep their plans.

But I think most folks' issue is with the disgusting "sorry people are gonna die and/or lose all of their worldly possession, but LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE BELOW!" Or that horrible one mentioned in the article who took his family's reservation (no real issue there, especially if the hotels are safer than your residence), but then "took the last" meal kit when he had plenty of supplies back in his room. And his intro video was on this thread, and he was worried about his freaking hair at checkin.

So it isn't so much that they exist, it's the tone-deaf cringe they produce.
Updates…with appropriate seriousness…are very interesting.

Not silly genie coverage.

Gringrinngghost

Seeing lots of people on social media virtue-signaling about the parks opening "too soon."

- The vast majority of the Orlando area sustained minor damage, if any.
- The media is highlighting a handful of flooded areas, this does not reflect the area as a whole.
- Employees are NOT being forced to go in.
- The only reason Disney opened before the other is their parks didn't flood.
You do know that the cast members live in affected areas?

In other news, this was shared by the Orange County Sheriffs yesterday.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I think there are some storm chasers that do a service, letting people know how storms are developing but I also think there are some very dumb ones that put themselves in danger just to get that shot. But if you read the article, the folks that were there were just being idiots and promoting for the sake of views and clicks. They were providing zero service to anyone...though for some people, the parks are everything they live and breathe for so maybe it's important to them for some reason.

We all don't want a first hand experience view. Some might, while some of us are more worried about people's homes being destroyed vs the resort that really was never in danger of having significant damage since the storm moved south. The parks have had decades of dealing with storms, we all know how they handle them at this point. Stuff is put away, all the same precautions are taken, guests are taken care of.

I get it, we're all fans of the parks but I have zero concern about the parks relative to those effected in "real life"

Maybe that's just me.

LoL we almost lost a house in Port Charlotte. We have multiple neighbors who stayed for the duration of the storm and the eye passed straight over them. We have family who evacuated at the last hour. And try I still want to know how the parks did.

This is not an either or.

Stevek

LoL we almost lost a house in Port Charlotte. We have multiple neighbors who stayed for the duration of the storm and the eye passed straight over them. We have family who evacuated at the last hour. And try I still want to know how the parks did.

I never said it's an either or. You have made statements like "we all" but clearly "we all" don't necessarily worry about the parks during a natural disaster of this magnitude. The parks were not a concern to me at all, they were for you. None of that justifies what people like Coreless continue to do.

mightynine

Actually, yes it is.

I don't have a problem if someone jumped on their family's reservation to document Disney during a hurricane. Where I do have a problem is if that person took the last meal box for "content" while having plenty of food of their own, possibly denying someone who was truly stuck there a chance at some food.

I don't have a problem if someone decided to book a Disney hotel room last minute and brought the camera - I don't even know if I have an issue with them putting out the donation box, as that's no different that a storm chaser. But the idea that you're "trapped at Disney" - please, you voluntarily put yourself in that position.

And then the clearly misleading thumbnails - look, I know the YT algorithm loves a gaping mouth, but you can stop there. If you're having to resort to photoshopping damage - or using images of fallen trees taken from who-knows-where - you deserve any and all scorn you get because you're full of something, and it ain't pixie dust.

But then, a simple video explaining procedures in place, options available to guests, character interactions, and an honest assessment of damage might not get the likes, clicks, subscribes, super chatters, patreons or whatever so you end up with these snake charmers instead.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Actually, yes it is.

I don't have a problem if someone jumped on their family's reservation to document Disney during a hurricane. Where I do have a problem is if that person took the last meal box for "content" while having plenty of food of their own, possibly denying someone who was truly stuck there a chance at some food.

I don't have a problem if someone decided to book a Disney hotel room last minute and brought the camera - I don't even know if I have an issue with them putting out the donation box, as that's no different that a storm chaser. But the idea that you're "trapped at Disney" - please, you voluntarily put yourself in that position.

And then the clearly misleading thumbnails - look, I know the YT algorithm loves a gaping mouth, but you can stop there. If you're having to resort to photoshopping damage - or using images of fallen trees taken from who-knows-where - you deserve any and all scorn you get because you're full of something, and it ain't pixie dust.

But then, a simple video explaining procedures in place, options available to guests, character interactions, and an honest assessment of damage might not get the likes, clicks, subscribes, super chatters, patreons or whatever so you end up with these snake charmers instead.

Then don't watch it. I clearly haven't watched it.

StantonZ

I thought I would share a first-hand account of the parks after last week's hurricane.
We arrived in Disney the day before the shutdown and returned Sunday; we spent the "lock-down" in Coronado Springs (the tower) and saw 2 parks (including EPCOT's 40th). Even on Friday, you would have had a hard time believing a hurricane had passed through the property; you can attribute that to luck/prep/clean-up/whatever, but the fact was not every theme park in Orlando could say the same thing. I was very impressed with how Disney handled both the lock-down and re-opening, etc. Say what you want, but Disney is in the theme park business...and we were ultimately there to ride rides (well, and to check on our future home construction--which luckily came through untouched). One other thing: we got nothing but "good vibes" from the cast members we came in contact with. In fact, I think many were legitimately glad there were decent crowds despite recent events.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I never said it's an either or. You have made statements like "we all" but clearly "we all" don't necessarily worry about the parks during a natural disaster of this magnitude. The parks were not a concern to me at all, they were for you. None of that justifies what people like Coreless continue to do.

My ex husband made a comment once that women tend to talk in absolutes (always, never, all, none, etc.) and men don't. Since he pointed it out I do notice I use them, and I try to use less of them but obviously don't catch them all. Obviously I didn't mean everyone in the world. There's no reason to nitpick pedantics.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom