Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

lazyboy97o

I will use hurricanes in this example:

During Hurricane Zeta, it was reported that it was a Category 2 by the National Hurricane Center. Cat 2 - no big deal (for those who live on the coastal areas and understand surge vs wind speed and deal with this on a regular basis). A few days later, AFTER the storm had passed, they reclassified it as a Cat 3.

That type of information could have persuaded people to evacuate - at the very least, I would've sent my wife and kids away as I stayed.

We can call it "uncertainty" - or we can call it failure.
You don’t understand the difference between predicting and measuring? Storms get upgraded and downgraded afterwards because a bunch of additional data is able to be collected and analyzed.

lazyboy97o

You the consumer will pay for it. The power company will petition the regional power utility board for a rate increase authorization to offset the increased cost of installation, operation and maintenance of the new infrastructure.
They have almost certainly already done that. Over and over again, across the country, utilities gets rates raised or monopoly contracts or other special deals to pay for upgrades that they just don’t do, and then they turn around and do it again, promising upgrades and new services for which they get paid but never deliver.

plutofan15

I heard they were rolling out mobile cell towers after the storm. Any info on how those work? I just found it interesting so I am curious. Do those run on generators? :)
124831D1-99DA-4C29-B02E-DB12FE767460.jpeg

This a photo of one I worked on in the Keys during a previous hurricane. These are referred to as COWs (Cell On Wheels). This is a SAT COW because it can communicate backhaul via satellite via the dishes on the roof when normal land based backhaul is not available.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I see microphones already being shoved in faces in the Naples/fort Myers area with people blaming the NWS: “they said it was going to Tampa…”😡

Reminding us all that humans don’t listen and the certainly don’t read.
I had a feeling we’d see this. ..this is why I think the NHC cone is extremely misleading

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
If you are stating a fact - why are you asking the question? I can't tell you for sure whether it was mandatory or not. All i can tell you is i have a friend who lives in Englewood. He escaped to his daughter's house, leaving on Tuesday at 1 PM.

I can tell you. Our house is flood zone A in Punta Gorda. It was mandatory evac. The messaging was received in our neighborhood late Monday night/early early Tuesday morning.

Hope everyone here (and the people/pets in your life) fared well enough through the storm!

Also, it seems Disney was well prepared to take care of the hotel guests. Most of what I'm reading is pretty positive (as it could be) about their experience at the hotels during the hurricane.

Stay safe!
The Disney CMs have been awesome. So helpful yesterday providing meal kits and extra provisions for the rooms, and generally upbeat keeping guests calm, positive and prepared. You forget they're going through the same thing and have themselves and their own lives to worry about. We arrived from the UK on Tuesday and never experienced anything like this before, but the CMs at Caribbean Beach have really made us feel safe and comfortable.

I see microphones already being shoved in faces in the Naples/fort Myers area with people blaming the NWS: “they said it was going to Tampa…”😡

Reminding us all that humans don’t listen and they certainly don’t read.
I still don't know for sure, but were people in Naples and Fort Myers told to evacuate? That is all is needed to be known.. Once that decision is made, why even look at any cone or spaghetti PROJECTIONS.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
It’s not “misleading” at all. It’s an alert system…Just like tornados

People have to be smarter than their shoes to process information
No a hurricane is seen coming days ahead of time unlike a tornado. What I’m saying is too many sometimes focus on the cone and think all is well if the storm just follows the line in the middle not realizing how large and damaging these things are all around the “line”

JohnD

I had a feeling we’d see this. ..this is why I think the NHC cone is extremely misleading
I agree. Even the wide "come of uncertainty" was off. First, the center of the cone was Ft. Myers then it tracked west toward Tallahassee. A friend of mine was irked that people were raiding the food shelves in Tallahassee. Blame that on the models. After all that, it came in around Ft. Myers after all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom