Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Sheriffs are having to stop people driving to get to...Publix. Which has closed most stores in the area. 🤦🏻‍♀️

5AC11EE3-95B3-4A15-9E91-17C15273DC81.jpeg

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
No a hurricane is seen coming days ahead of time unlike a tornado. What I’m saying is too many sometimes focus on the cone and think all is well if the storm just follows the line in the middle not realizing how large and damaging these things are all around the “line”

NHC and other meteorologists repeatedly say to pay attention to the entire cone, not the line in the middle.

plutofan15

I heard they were rolling out mobile cell towers after the storm. Any info on how those work? I just found it interesting so I am curious. Do those run on generators? :)
COWs are used in many different emergency situations. Here are some photos of the unit we set up outside the Pentagon after 9/11. This is an old, early version of a COW we called the “bread truck”. You can see the portable generator used to power it in one photo, In the photo from above, the COW is in the lower left corner.
6DABD908-B5E3-4BAA-A5AA-C86343889032.jpeg
0D32FC97-F6C2-40D9-9139-CB2C5E43A56D.jpeg
F8F6C48D-1FD6-4C46-8CE2-B19CDDD18B0A.jpeg
18141CF8-55FA-42E0-80E3-0E1F4B52780B.jpeg
97C3C1B3-0F8B-439D-A96D-545B71AF1FC8.jpeg
4B1E7FF9-63B6-4053-B591-13F33D5B319E.jpeg

Last edited:

JohnD

NHC and other meteorologists repeatedly say to pay attention to the entire cone, not the line in the middle.
True. Except the entire cone over the course of the week went from the left edge of Apalchicola to the right edge of extreme SW FL with the center from Tallahassee to Fr. Myers. You can't plan with that.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

No a hurricane is seen coming days ahead of time unlike a tornado. What I’m saying is too many sometimes focus on the cone and think all is well if the storm just follows the line in the middle not realizing how large and damaging these things are all around the “line”
If a person lives in Florida and does not have a basic understanding of hurricane size and impacts, they are a lost cause.

Tourists can be forgiven for their ignorance, but not locals.

I live in freakin’ Connecticut and we know enough to stock up if a tropical system or nor’easter is predicted to come anywhere within a couple hundred miles. The projected paths always shift wildly.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I know they do but a lot of people don’t watch the news anymore. They see images on social media now and that’s about it and think it’s just another Florida rain storm

I know some maybe weren’t able to evacuate for certain reasons but that’s scary to ride out in some places

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
If a person lives in Florida and does not have a basic understanding of hurricane size and impacts, they are a lost cause.

Exactly right. Though Florida does have new residents moving in all the time between one hurricane to the next and just don’t know any better I guess. Tough situation for sure

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
145D70D0-DB05-4E3E-A0F0-E0394E3860FA.png

This was from 5am on Tues morning. The red line shows hurricane warning to both harbors, Tampa and Charlotte. The M denotes Major hurricane, wind speeds over 110mph. At this point the storm was still centered over Cuba. Without the service forecast experts provided, there were 4 gulf states to potentially get hit. They narrowed it down to the middle of Florida’s west coast. I’m pretty impressed by that. It was already seen as a high likelihood the week prior.

There is also a note at the top: Hazardous conditions can occur outside the cone.

It’s very hard to concisely communicate to the public.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I still don't know for sure, but were people in Naples and Fort Myers told to evacuate? That is all is needed to be known.. Once that decision is made, why even look at any cone or spaghetti PROJECTIONS.

The cone isn’t misleading. People just refuse to understand how to actually read it.

View attachment 670057
The cone included Fort Meyers and the NHC issued a hurricane warning for the area days before the storm. I don’t see what’s misleading about that.
While y'all are nitpicking the cone, can we just take a minute to remember that the winds didn't decimate the area, the storm surge did.

8E312A2A-CEA4-430C-94D4-0D2391409DB5.jpeg

They were unfortunately positioned to catch all that water that was pulled out of Tampa Bay and Peace River and it shot right up into their houses. As much as we talk about where this the Hurricaine is going to hit and Howe much storm surge is expected, I'll be honest and say I had no way of comprehending the magnitude of this storm surge impact until I watched it roll in on video and on Twitter posts.

Smiley/OCD

I live in freakin’ Connecticut and we know enough to stock up if a tropical system or nor’easter is predicted to come anywhere within a couple hundred miles. The projected paths always shift wildly.
The idiots want a block by block forecast…

Captain Barbossa

Thoughts with everyone in FL. Luckily it’s heading out but still dumping a ton of rain, especially between Daytona and St. Augustine. I’m in the upstate of SC and we already have sustained winds at 20mph and is supposed to increase throughout the day and over night. I just hope the water isn’t warm enough to strengthen it back up to a low cat 1 before it makes a 2nd landfall here in SC.

bcoachable

Thought- if “we the people” can’t make educated decisions for ourselves, we will begin to see our government make them for us….

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom