Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

plutofan15

First time experiencing a hurricane in the central Florida area (Celebration) - Does anyone know how the area holds up during a hurricane impact?

Lived in South Florida all my life, weathered several storms (Wilma, Irma, etc.) and I've always assumed that Orlando is safer.
Depending on the severity of the storm, do not rely on cell phones. Keep them charged as long as possible though. Working for a cellular provider for over 25 years in construction, network operations and engineering, there are many things that can (and will) cause cell sites to go off the air. Be safe.

The Mom

Premium Member
Nothing really out of the ordinary this morning with traffic in central Florida.
View attachment 669493
My son just arrived from Tampa. Total driving time Tampa to JAX - 3&1/2 hours. No problems on I-75. But he did state that he left between zone evacuations; zone A should have been finished and then the next zone would be announced.

I-4 had the heavier traffic if the back-ups at the split were any indication.

JohnD

You aren’t braving AK today. You’re going to AK today. This isn’t some heroes mission to ride rides and eat a Rondo Wrap.
True that. It's muggy and no rain. And I'm drinking a Jungle Juice at Dawa Bar while listening to the African music. Everyone here seems to want to shame people staying at WDW. I knew what was coming. I'm going to the parks while I can and fully expect to ride out the hurricane from my resort while it passes through. I hope everyone else here, unless a local, chooses to ride out the hurricane from their resort than try to get out at this late date. I think that would put you in greater danger.

So you just go ahead with your smugness trying to shame those who are here. I'm going to be quite safe, thank you.

plutofan15

For those in the parks today, what prep work are you seeing?
From being there in past storms - vending cart put away, any banners/flags taken down, any outdoor tables and chairs which are not secured removed, boats tied up and secured or taken to secure facilities and trash cans stored. Basically anything that is not permanently secured and can be blown away will be removed. Was kind of odd walking around the parks and seeing the sidewalks and pathways so empty.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
True that. It's muggy and no rain. And I'm drinking a Jungle Juice at Dawa Bar while listening to the African music. Everyone here seems to want to shame people staying at WDW. I knew what was coming. I'm going to the parks while I can and fully expect to ride out the hurricane from my resort while it passes through. I hope everyone else here, unless a local, chooses to ride out the hurricane from their resort than try to get out at this late date. I think that would put you in greater danger.

So you just go ahead with your smugness trying to shame those who are here. I'm going to be quite safe, thank you.

ceecee101

Depending on the severity of the storm, do not rely on cell phones. Keep them charged as long as possible though. Working for a cellular provider for over 25 years in construction, network operations and engineering, there are many things that can (and will) cause cell sites to go off the air. Be safe.
We had this happen after the 7+ earthquake in Seattle years ago. We quickly realized then how few pay phones there were, and when you did find one it was long lines. Now I doubt there are pay phones anywhere. To be clear I think cell service was working, it’s just everything was so jammed no one could get through.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

If the eye passes over the Orlando area, this is going to be like Hermine.

Based on updates from the local news stations, I don't expect WDW to reopen on Friday.

Lilofan

From being there in past storms - vending cart put away, any banners/flags taken down, any outdoor tables and chairs which are not secured removed, boats tied up and secured or taken to secure facilities and trash cans stored. Basically anything that is not permanently secured and can be blown away will be removed. Was kind of odd walking around the parks and seeing the sidewalks and pathways so empty.
So with limited trash cans and some just dumping their trash on the ground?

Lilofan

Calm before the storm , usually is the case. If you choose to willingly ride out a hurricane on vacation at WDW, good luck to you. With airports closing up, one couldn’t fly out from nearby airports even if they wanted to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom