Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Randomly, that's one of the areas we're looking at possibly moving to once our lease is up - although we like Hamlin a little better due to location closer to my family.

You're a hop, skip and a jump from me if you end up in Hamlin. I'm in Waterleigh.

LAKid53

Premium Member
We were staying in the cabins at Wilderness Lodge and told we needed to relocate to the main building by 8:00 AM. We were told that Wilderness and Animal Kingdom Lodges were some of the best places to be during a hurricane because they were both designed to sustain category 4 hurricanes, but also because none of the room doors open outside, so we’re not confined to our rooms during lockdown. I’d think that’s the case at other Deluxe properties the new towers. Also told, during the last hurricane, Disney discounted the food.

I think most of the resorts were built to withstand a Cat 3 storm. But WL is a great place to ride out Ian.

Comped

I read a post on the DIS from someone getting their stay extended at Riviera, talking to the manager that assisted them about the patio furniture. The guest told them they should have people bring it inside their room and the manager said something like that hadn’t even been mentioned in their meetings. But people have old letters from previous storms with instructions that included things like that.

So I am nervous that the teams running things are too green and that’s going to contribute to anxiety and raised tempers because of things falling through cracks that wouldn’t with more a more experienced crew. Not to mention the potential damage because preparations weren’t complete.
I wonder if Disney's layoffs during the pandemic impacted their global security/emergency management division? That could certainly be as much of a factor as resort-level having a lesser frame of reference. The loss of senior resort management who'd been through similar storms can only make things worse. Little odd that Disney wouldn't think to put away patio furniture when the local stations have been telling us to do that for a week...

As someone with a background in training and development, and a long interest in Disney's emergency ops, this is kinda concerning, but also a fascinating learning experience.
We were staying in the cabins at Wilderness Lodge and told we needed to relocate to the main building by 8:00 AM. We were told that Wilderness and Animal Kingdom Lodges were some of the best places to be during a hurricane because they were both designed to sustain category 4 hurricanes, but also because none of the room doors open outside, so we’re not confined to our rooms during lockdown. I’d think that’s the case at other Deluxe properties the new towers. Also told, during the last hurricane, Disney discounted the food.
You are very lucky... Exercise is very important - and I suppose you can explore as much of the indoor areas of the building as they'll let you. Comfy chairs in the lobby should provide a nice change of pace!

Andy_0410

1. Stay indoors until you're given the all clear.
2. Keep your drapes closed and stay away from the windows.
3. As others have mentioned, put towels under your door to prevent water coming in, even if in a room on the higher floors.
4. Move as many items, like electronics, to tables. Keep your phones/battery packs plugged in.

Just think the stories you'll have to tell when you return home.

Thanks on second floor so hopefully won’t have too much to worry about with water
All clear? We haven’t been told to stay in our rooms and been told the food court was staying open unless the storm forecast gets worse than it currently is when there this morning

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Thanks on second floor so hopefully won’t have too much to worry about with water
All clear? We haven’t been told to stay in our rooms and been told the food court was staying open unless the storm forecast gets worse than it currently is when there this morning

Do not count on this. Get some food and water for the room. If you don’t need it, great. But if the food court has to close and you have nothing to eat or drink you’ll be hurting

LAKid53

Premium Member

Your door opens to the outside, correct? High winds can drive rain under the doors, which is why I recommended putting towels down. The higher you are, the more winds can impact.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom