Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

Chomama

My in laws in Naples texted this morning to say the eye was past and they still had intermittent power... a few trees down and some flooding on the golf course they live on but so far, so good for them. They live inland enough to not have to worry about storm surge, at least in regards to damage to their home. I will be anxiously watching the storm all day, feeling right now like our Sunday arrival is questionable. Continued prayers for everyone's safety in the path of the storm!
I think they are confused. It’s not there yet and they will lose power most likely

JohnD

What's the food situation like at the resort?
Boma open for breakfast and dinner. First come, first served. However I have breakfast and dinner ADRs for Friday which they say they will honor. Jiko is closed. Sanaa for me is a non starter but may be an option for guests over there, if open.

Mara food court is busy. Takes mobile orders as usual. You can find menu in MDE.

Speaking of Mara, you can pick up frozen items from gift shop which they tell me you can bring down and microwave (or have microwaved for you). The usual adult beverages are also available.

03C07E4D-79B5-4592-A059-87884DDBF760.jpeg

BE879D19-410B-4CCB-9F38-0FC63E77F8AA.jpeg

FC1C42DD-3731-4CBF-92DE-212887576CEA.jpeg

ToTBellHop

I don't want to LOL but this is such a classic text from my in laws... of course they would think it is past when it isn't, lol! Oh boy. Well, I'm hoping they stay safe and get better at watching the news.
I think they were saying the eye is passing Naples, which is true. It’s due west of Naples and will continue to the northeast, passing Naples before coming on shore this afternoon around Cape Coral.

Slpy3270

I'm increasingly convinced this will be Florida's "Katrina moment". Thousands dead, millions displaced, evacuees never come back, military called in, vacation spots never reopen, etc.

Touchdown

Original Poster
I'm increasingly convinced this will be Florida's "Katrina moment". Thousands dead, millions displaced, evacuees never come back, military called in, vacation spots never reopen, etc.
No to that last part, unlike New Orleans there is far too much money there (and money to be made) for it not to be rebuilt. The first part is likely true.

ToTBellHop

No to that last part, unlike New Orleans there is far too much money there (and money to be made) for it not to be rebuilt. The first part is likely true.
Thousands weren’t killed directly in NOLA by the storm but by the impacts later due to unique circumstances in NOLA. Florida is better equipped to deal with this and most are willing and able to get out of harm’s way. As for the stubborn who stayed to “ride it out” against the advice of everyone who matters, good luck.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Without a doubt the areas in and around where Ian makes landfall will be decimated and it will takes years for them to recover. But the situation with Katrina was a "straw that broke the camel's back" moment; a ton of unfortunates came together at once. It will be a long road to recovery but Florida will come out of this.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Boma open for breakfast and dinner. First come, first served. However I have breakfast and dinner ADRs for Friday which they say they will honor. Jiko is closed. Sanaa for me is a non starter but may be an option for guests over there, if open.

Mara food court is busy. Takes mobile orders as usual. You can find menu in MDE.

Speaking of Mara, you can pick up frozen items from gift shop which they tell me you can bring down and microwave (or have microwaved for you). The usual adult beverages are also available.

View attachment 669789
View attachment 669790
View attachment 669791

things can't be to bad, there is still alcohol on the shelves.

Dinardo

They said on TWC that the water is starting filter back into the bay, but this is what it looked like a little bit ago.

Those who didn't go through Katrina should not speak about Katrina. Ian is not the same as the circumstances surrounding Katrina. Not one iota.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom