Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

John park hopper

Hurricanes are so unpredictable this why when thy say evacuate it's in your best interest to do if you value your life. Stong cat 4 when it makes land fall not looking good.

ToTBellHop

How much water was the WDW property designed to deal with? Like…is there space for upwards of 20 inches of water to collect or will some amount just have to evaporate away?

Small silver lining is that the property should be spared from intense wind. But that’s a lot of water.

John park hopper

Remember WDW was built where a swamp used to be I would imagine it is not designed to handle 20" of rain in a few hours. My concern the gators in Bay lake will be on the move as well as snakes. I would think there isn't much difference between a Cat 4 or Cat 5 as far as destruction.

Lilofan

The wind and rain has started to intensify here In the Sarasota/Bradenton area. I woke up the the sound of wind whistling through the trees in my back yard. Multiple forecasts expect 22 inches of rain where I live so I fully expect my pool to overflow and flood my lanai.

Wish me luck.
Last time we stayed at Coronado Springs the pool was just a few yards from the Cabanas building where we stayed on the first floor. Did WDW drain the pools?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How much water was the WDW property designed to deal with? Like…is there space for upwards of 20 inches of water to collect will some amount just have to evaporate away?

Small silver lining is that the property should be spared from intense wind. But that’s a lot of water.
If I recall…and DON’T quote me…the loch/retention system - which is fantastically designed - can displace/redistribute a pretty hefty volume of water.

It’s not like Epcot will be under 4ft of water

But this does appear to be the most significant rain event in wdw history as it stands?

ToTBellHop

If I recall…and quote me…the loch/retention system - which is fantastically designed - can displace/redistribute a pretty hefty volume of water.

It’s bit like Epcot will be under 4ft of water

But this does appear to be the most significant rain event in wdw history as it stands?
It’s good that it will eventually go somewhere but I also know there already is a lot of water from summer. Also, any of us who’ve been in the summer have seen the parks after a quick 2 or 3 inches of water. It may take some time to drain and during the time, there could be water damage.

And the parks are probably in the best position to deal with that much water in Central Florida. Praying isn’t really my thing but I hope for the best for everyone in Florida.

Lilofan

Remember WDW was built where a swamp used to be I would imagine it is not designed to handle 20" of rain in a few hours. My concern the gators in Bay lake will be on the move as well as snakes. I would think there isn't much difference between a Cat 4 or Cat 5 as far as destruction.
After the 2 year old was killed by gators when the kid was playing at the waters edge one night at the Grand Floridian beach in front of his parents, walls were built in by the water edge at the resorts on Bay Lake. If gators can climb, the walls hopefully will protect the guests from encountering FL wildlife.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
How much water was the WDW property designed to deal with? Like…is there space for upwards of 20 inches of water to collect or will some amount just have to evaporate away?

well consider some sections of the park flood with just a short downpour... this could be bad. I could see some 1st floors of resorts taking on water too if it has nowhere to go

drains not getting clogged up with debris will be vital

ToTBellHop

well consider some sections of the park flood with just a short downpour... this could be bad. I could see some 1st floors of resorts taking on water too if it has nowhere to go

drains getting clogged up with debris will be dangerous
I was shocked that they allowed people to stay in the values and mods (and Poly). They really shouldn’t have people on the first floors of those.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s good that it will eventually go somewhere but I also know there already is a lot of water from summer. Also, any of us who’ve been in the summer have seen the parks after a quick 2 or 3 inches of water. It may take some time to drain and during the time, there could be water damage.

And the parks are probably in the best position to deal with that much water in Central Florida. Praying isn’t really my thing but I hope for the best for everyone in Florida.
Wdw is the best equipped to handle this…probably in the whole state

And I agree with the last part…”good juju” changes nothing. Good engineering and science does. But don’t scare anyone around here 😎🫣

Last edited:

Gringrinngghost

BULLETIN
Hurricane Ian Special Advisory Number 23
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL092022
700 AM EDT Wed Sep 28 2022

...RAPIDLY INTENSIFYING IAN FORECAST TO CAUSE CATASTROPHIC
STORM SURGE, WINDS, AND FLOODING IN THE FLORIDA PENINSULA...

SUMMARY OF 700 AM EDT...1100 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...25.9N 82.8W
ABOUT 65 MI...100 KM WSW OF NAPLES FLORIDA
ABOUT 80 MI...130 KM SSW OF PUNTA GORDA FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...155 MPH...250 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 15 DEGREES AT 9 MPH...15 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...937 MB...27.67 INCHES

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom