Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
WDW is designed to handle alot of rain and water... but remember how quickly these drains designed to handle this can get clogged in a storm with blowing debris. This is what worries me the most. I've seen what happens in the parks from quick downpours when drains don't handle it all... I can't imagine 24hrs+ of this... I hope things go ok but I don' think they've ever been tested like it's going to be

ToTBellHop

WDW is designed to handle alot of rain and water... but remember how quickly these drains designed to handle this can get clogged in a storm with blowing debris. This is what worries me the most. I've seen what happens in the parks from quick downpours when drains don't handle it all... I can't imagine 24hrs+ of this... I hope things go ok
At least terrible wind isn’t forecast today, which is when the bulk of the rain is expected. They can likely keep staff available to clear drains.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I just saw an update on Facebook from someone at Music. Still lightly raining, he walked to the food court to get breakfast. CMs are staying onsite. He was told the food court could still close down if things get worse. For now, they are letting people be out and about in their resort.
Right…because the storm isn’t there yet

Lilofan

WDW is designed to handle alot of rain and water... but remember how quickly these drains designed to handle this can get clogged in a storm with blowing debris. This is what worries me the most. I've seen what happens in the parks from quick downpours when drains don't handle it all... I can't imagine 24hrs+ of this... I hope things go ok but I don' think they've ever been tested like it's going to be
To avoid having your car flooded with water at the resort since a number of parking lots are near retention ponds , I would park in the free parking garage at Disney Springs and take a bus to the resort. Doubt Disney would tow a car in this weather.

Lilofan

Standing water may contain snakes and if near a downed power line could meet death by electrocution.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
After the 2 year old was killed by gators when the kid was playing at the waters edge one night at the Grand Floridian beach in front of his parents, walls were built in by the water edge at the resorts on Bay Lake. If gators can climb, the walls hopefully will protect the guests from encountering FL wildlife.

gator-fence-1566256247.png

Touchdown

Original Poster
At least terrible wind isn’t forecast today, which is when the bulk of the rain is expected. They can likely keep staff available to clear drains.
Do you think they’ll have lots of staff out in severe thinderstorms patrolling the parks? I don’t I suspect they’re all at the resorts hunkered down once the dung hits the fan. Asking them to be lightning rods to save Tomorrowland is a bit much.

And if rain comes first then winds you will have tremendous tree damage.

ToTBellHop

Do you think they’ll have lots of staff out in severe thinderstorms patrolling the parks? I don’t I suspect they’re all at the resorts hunkered down once the dung hits the fan. Asking them to be lightning rods to save Tomorrowland is a bit much.

The National Weather Service isn’t predicting a ton of lightning. Presently, they are predicting closer to 10 inches of rain at WDW. Let’s hope that’s closer to reality than 20 inches.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member

I suggest they route all water towards Tomorrowland speedway. Seems like a good temporary retaining pond and our best shot at a redo there.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
It's worth noting that while still dangerous, these kinds of tornadoes are not what most people think of like the ones in the mid west.

They're typically small, don't last long, and usually with winds equal to or less than that of the hurricane, itself.

Still something to be mindful of and to take precautions against and still deadly, but someone can see one out their window taking off part of the roof of a house or pulling up a fence across the street and not be directly impacted by it, themselves.

Not trying to downplay them - they're still deadly - but it isn't like a scene from Twister or anything like that.
Oddly enough, when Hurricane Isaias barreled through NC in 2020, it spawned an EF3 tornado in one of our communizes 🤯 An EF3 is unheard of during a tropical system because the storm cells are usually moving too fast. As with any tornado warning, act instantly because you may only have seconds to spare.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To avoid having your car flooded with water at the resort since a number of parking lots are near retention ponds , I would park in the free parking garage at Disney Springs and take a bus to the resort. Doubt Disney would tow a car in this weather.
I don’t think that is necessary or realistic…

If the parking lots are flooded above a foot,things are REALLY off the rails

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

They're predicting power outages in Central Florida starting tonight.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Absolutely not
Those parks were built hardened against hurricanes

Why “patrol them?”

Defeats the purpose

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom