Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

From what I read and heard on the news whoever was under mandatory evacuation was given the opportunity to go to a free shelter. I believe even sheriffs were going door to door trying to get people out. I am pretty sure that someone wanted to have help they would get it. It comes down to people not wanting help. Not having the resources shouldn’t be an issue. The one woman who is all over twitter looking for her mom in FMB choose not to leave. She had her reasons. Bit home there are 800- millions. Mobile homes different demographic.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Ive always wondered the same thing. Since every year the same sections are without power or the poles kill someone when it falls on their car.
For the same reason we all use paper and plastic bags instead of more durable cloth bags. Or use buses instead of fixed rail on known commuter paths.

The convenience, speed, and flexibility.

Above ground transmission is quick, affordable, and readily serviceable. It's better to have to repair it infrequently then it is to pay to harden it so much it becomes more difficult to access or service.

hopemax

People have to live somewhere. Every region has its own weather events. Tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, ice storms, blizzards ….
Although there is a difference between the small islands, and areas that are basically populated sand bars vs larger areas like Tornado Alley. Living "on the beach" has been a selling point for so long, it's hard for folks to give up on that dream. But with each storm, you wonder how sustainable and how long this "rebuild" strategy can continue.

ppete1975

I am of the opinion people shouldn't live in Tornado alley...

As climate change worsens, these storms will only get worse. Florida, Tornado Alley... it's not gonna be good times.
Oddly tornado alley has appeared to shift more east from areas like oklahoma to now arkansas and even illinois in the last 5 years. Chicago has even had them recently. So move from there as well?

TransportationGuy

Also, does anyone know if the unofficially official OU/SW/Disney/Legoland meeting about reopening has taken place? Obviously, SeaWorld has announced closure, so I’m surprised we haven’t heard plans from the others

Disney Analyst

Oddly tornado alley has appeared to shift more east from areas like oklahoma to now arkansas and even illinois in the last 5 years. Chicago has even had them recently. So move from there as well?

I am just pondering aloud, again I admit we cannot control everything, and weather is of course more erratic and evolving in ways we have not seen.

I don't know all the answers, but I do know humans have a history of survival, and moving where it may be safer when needed is a possibility that could be considered for specific regions where such a migration could be possible.

I shall ponder to myself.

flynnibus

Premium Member
People need to remember, that no matter how many times they get it wrong.. they only have to be right once, for it to be tragic.

Which is why the agencies and press really need to be cautious with the Armageddon predictions. Overstating to be cautious just further desensitizes people to the risk. The lay public don't given the ideas enough time and instead just focus on the end result... 'you said this, and it didn't happen' and it just undermines people's confidence. No matter how well intended the people were.

Instead people promote lazy stories like the entire state is going to be wiped out... instead of "This entire range is at risk of being the unlucky ones hit.. you should move now because by the time we can tell you ACCURATELY where it will hit, it will be too late to get out".

DisneyCane

So helping to get the power you pay for each month isn’t a “sound investment”? Is that what we’re saying?
No what I'm saying is the cost of getting the power will be higher when they amortize the cost of putting the lines underground and people don't want to pay it. This is an issue in the north also for winter storms with ice on the lines and other things but they're aren't very many places that put above ground lines underground.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Also, does anyone know if the unofficially official OU/SW/Disney/Legoland meeting about reopening has taken place? Obviously, SeaWorld has announced closure, so I’m surprised we haven’t heard plans from the others
I don't think that is actually happening. Disney is doing its own thing on this, just like they did with COVID.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Although there is a difference between the small islands, and areas that are basically populated sand bars vs larger areas like Tornado Alley. Living "on the beach" has been a selling point for so long, it's hard for folks to give up on that dream. But with each storm, you wonder how sustainable and how long this "rebuild" strategy can continue.
Same argument for places that get far more frequently like The Outer Banks.

Yet.. it's built out more now than it ever has been...

Even if we take away insurance, etc... people will continue to inhabit these spaces. The real topic to address IMHO is address zoning and building codes so there at least is some standard of survivability and avoid allowing things like trailer parks on barrier islands or on the leading edge of FL's everglades.

Vegas Disney Fan

I am just pondering aloud, again I admit we cannot control everything, and weather is of course more erratic and evolving in ways we have not seen.

I don't know all the answers, but I do know humans have a history of survival, and moving where it may be safer when needed is a possibility that could be considered for specific regions where such a migration could be possible.

I shall ponder to myself.
It makes sense on a local level, I grew up in a city with a river valley in the middle, every couple decades the river floods and destroys everything within about a mile… then people rebuild in the same flood plain.

99% of the surrounding land is above the flood plain but people like their river views, it makes no sense. The coast is the same scenario, odds are you’re going to get destroyed by a storm at some point but everyone loves the beach.

You can’t avoid natural disasters completely but there’s a lot of localized problem areas that are 100% preventable.

Comped

From what I understand these kinds of things are as often discussed over a WhatsApp group or text message unofficially as an email or even an in-person meeting. I would be quite surprised if some level of cross-resort communication hasn't happened, even on a very unofficial basis.

natatomic

Based on the hole in Jurassic Parks building, the flooded Hulk coaster, and hearing Velocicoaster is also flooded, I can't imagine UO opening tomorrow.

Wait, did they really park that boat under the bridge? It looks like the fenders are out, which aren’t out in normal operation I don’t think. I mean, I’m sure they drop an anchor, but surely they have an actual dock to tie boats down to cleats?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom