Huggle-licious

Connor002

Safari Giraffe said:
Well, my husband and I paid for our own wedding/reception because my parents could not afford it (which I think really bothered my mother :( ) but she wanted to be involved in the planning as much as she could and I welcomed it because we are very close.:)

That's nice... I'm sure it was better to have your mother involved than to just have her fork up the cash anyway.

(Not that I'm saying anything about Mad. :lookaroun )

barnum42

My sister and her husband organised their own wedding and brought it in very cheaply - especially when I see what some people spend on weddings.

Sister wanted the wedding in a church with a steeple and central isle - not many of them were they lived in MA. At least not that were willing to marry a divorced catholic and someone that does believe in god, but not so much organised religions.

The reception was in a friend's restaurant, the dress bought at rock bottom price as it was "last years" and the brides maids outfits home made. The gents paid for their own tails and yours truly was the photographer.

A great day was had by all.

MKCP 1985

My best friend from college and his wife had a lovely wedding. . . except that the photographer (who insisted and received payment in advance) didn't show. They have since been given copies of everyone's photos, mostly 35 millimeter cameras and . . . disc cameras (remember those?)

It didn't ruin their marriage. . . they've made it 17 years so far. :D

tigsmom

Connor002 said:
That's nice... I'm sure it was better to have your mother involved than to just have her fork up the cash anyway.

(Not that I'm saying anything about Mad. :lookaroun )

:lol:

Thats ok, she reviewed the plans, but ok'd everything I asked for. Never an argument or question.

Safari Giraffe

All this talk about weddings makes me remember how wonderful my wedding day was. A few minor problems here and there, but over all a truly special day that I will remember forever! Makes me want to go back and watch our Wedding Video. There are some pretty funny moments on there.:lol:

Family and friends make the day special and it does not matter what you spend on the actual day in terms of dollars, just that you enjoy every moment.

Our wedding day actually reunited a couple that was having problems previously. They got married 6 months later and have been happily married ever since. How's that for special?:)

tigsmom

MKCP 1985 said:
My best friend from college and his wife had a lovely wedding. . . except that the photographer (who insisted and received payment in advance) didn't show. They have since been given copies of everyone's photos, mostly 35 millimeter cameras and . . . disc cameras (remember those?)

It didn't ruin their marriage. . . they've made it 17 years so far. :D

Ok, the photographer is pretty important. I had 2 really - the one we hired and my cousin who was a professional and made a beautiful album as a gift to us. Both guys had different styles so I have some very unique shots.

I like some of the candid shots from guests as much (or better in some cases) as the pros.

tigsmom

Safari Giraffe said:
All this talk about weddings makes me remember how wonderful my wedding day was. A few minor problems here and there, but over all a truly special day that I will remember forever! Makes me want to go back and watch our Wedding Video. There are some pretty funny moments on there.:lol:

Family and friends make the day special and it does not matter what you spend on the actual day in terms of dollars, just that you enjoy every moment.

Our wedding day actually reunited a couple that was having problems previously. They got married 6 months later and have been happily married ever since. How's that for special?:)

I totally agree! Some people go waaay overboard with the plans and it really is just too stressful. I originally wanted just a small immediate family only wedding, but was talked into something larger (but still small) and it was a great day (minus the crazy lady).

nibblesandbits

Original Poster
tigsmom said:
Ok, the photographer is pretty important. I had 2 really - the one we hired and my cousin who was a professional and made a beautiful album as a gift to us. Both guys had different styles so I have some very unique shots.

I like some of the candid shots from guests as much (or better in some cases) as the pros.
wow...that's cool about your cousin...

It's hard for me to have conversations about wedding photography since it's what I do...I do like candid (what I call photojournalistic...which is actually what I do). So I'm sure my album will include a lot of that kind of stuff.

Nemo14

Safari Giraffe said:

Very true! We had a very tight budget since we were also buying a house then. My sister made my dress (and used the leftover fabric for a Christening gown for my kids), and my attendants made their own. We had our receptio at the church hall.
The one sad thing was that the week after the wedding, my brother and his fiance broke off their engagement. I always wondered if she got cold feet after seeing us get married.

barnum42

tigsmom said:
Ok, the photographer is pretty important.
Which is why when my sister asked me, I told her that a pro would be much better - using high end kit and large frame film (pre-digital days).

Then she showed me the photos of her sister in law's wedding - they had paid a photographer to come up with utter dross that was far inferior to my photos.

One thing that I did not realise - I don't know if its just not an American thing or regional, but in the UK after the wedding the guests hang around the church whilst the photographer takes shots of the bride and groom, then takes group photos of the the separate families and a group shot of the friends.

Then the reception line takes place at the reception venue. However at this service, the reception line took place at the exit. I then noticed people heading to their cars to set off for the reception. I had to leave the line and chase after them to get them to hang around for photos. I was able to deal with the quizzical glances I got from them by saying "It's an English thing" :D

tigsmom

barnum42 said:
Which is why when my sister asked me, I told her that a pro would be much better - using high end kit and large frame film (pre-digital days).

Then she showed me the photos of her sister in law's wedding - they had paid a photographer to come up with utter dross that was far inferior to my photos.

One thing that I did not realise - I don't know if its just not an American thing or regional, but in the UK after the wedding the guests hang around the church whilst the photographer takes shots of the bride and groom, then takes group photos of the the separate families and a group shot of the friends.

Then the reception line takes place at the reception venue. However at this service, the reception line took place at the exit. I then noticed people heading to their cars to set off for the reception. I had to leave the line and chase after them to get them to hang around for photos. I was able to deal with the quizzical glances I got from them by saying "It's an English thing" :D

Yeah, the reception line is usally at the door to the Church/hall. Most people head to the reception afterwards for cocktail hour while the bride/groom have pictures taken with their parents and attendants at the church. Group shots (at least the ones I've seen) are done at the reception.

barnum42

tigsmom said:
Group shots (at least the ones I've seen) are done at the reception.
I'm more a fan of the natural shots with no posing. Some of my posed shots were not that traditional.

For the group shots I got the smiles going by palming a red nose and putting it on when taking the shots :D

nibblesandbits

Original Poster
tigsmom said:
Yeah, the reception line is usally at the door to the Church/hall. Most people head to the reception afterwards for cocktail hour while the bride/groom have pictures taken with their parents and attendants at the church. Group shots (at least the ones I've seen) are done at the reception.
Group shots are done at the reception...if at all...we usually don't do group shots unless asked. Sometimes they are done at the church if asked ahead of time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom