Huge Crowds at the Magic Kingdom 3/16

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
The Magic Kingdom staff was expecting an average attendance day in the 35K-38K range, but were caught off guard by attendance in the 52K-55K range. We were there today, and the place was packed. 90 minute waits for Thunder, 70 minute waits for Splash, 100 minute waits for Space Mountain at 6:40 PM!

My understanding is that the Southeast is on school vacation this week, and my guess is that a lot of these trips were planned last minute, as placed like Alabama, Mississippi, etc are within driving distance to make a last minute trip a bit more feasible.

I'd obviously like a light day tomorrow for my trip, but if this trend continues, Disney isn't going to have much of an excuse for not having a major attraction under construction at present. Can anyone recall the last time they haven't had a D/E-ticket attraction under construction?

Hummer1676

Its good to hear that its busy, and sorry it had to happen while you are there. But at least, disney can't complain about the lack of attendance as it sounds like its been busy. Its quite obvious that although the economy is doing so well, people will travel within the states to save money. International travel has taken the biggest hit.

Duckberg

CrOwDs

Since MK is the smallest park anytime it gets crowded it magnifies the compactness :lookaroun in the park . Duckberg :cool:

goodolgm

Expect park hours to be extended tonight as well. As an MK cast member, I checked my schedule this morning and notice an hour was tacked on to my end time.

MeandMickey

Crowded!

This was not just a random busy day in the park for you. I was there for a short trip on Friday the 13th. I only went to MK from 4:30 to closing (9:00) and it was way too crowded. Just wasn't expecting that. Waits between those times were high. 30 mins. for Pirates, 70 for Splash, 60 for Thunder, and 60 all night for Space Mtn. They had the standby que closed off halfway inside and were not letting people in. People were lining up beneath the TTA supports back to the Astro Orbiter. Walked by in the fastpass line and wondered why they were doing that. Anyone here know? :shrug: (I did get to ride most everything, thanks to those nice people out there who "adopted" me with single fastpasses as I was there alone this trip). People lining up for Spectro at around 6:00 for the 8:00 parade. People were lining up strollers and everything else on the curbs down Main Street to "reserve" their spots. A big wave of people moved out after the parade, and a new migration followed and swallowed up Main Street again. It was crazy, like these people were just re-generating. Decided to watch Wishes from the entrace plaza for a change of scenery and to get away from the crowds. Let me tell you, that is not a bad place to view the show. Can't see the castle, but the music is there and the train station is a nice back drop for the fireworks. There is plenty of seating on the benches out there also, and no elbow to elbow sweaty people. :lol: Things to a turn for the worst after Wishes as I decided to take the shuttle boat back to the Poly. BIG mistake! Line was not too long, so I thought this would be good alternative to monorail since Wishes was dumping everyone and everything out there. Well, only one of the small boats was running to the GF and Poly. Then boat only held 25 people or so and took forever getting back and forth. Had to wait for 3 different boats and it took 40 mins to get to Poly. Unbelievable!! :brick: Shoulda just swam across. Anyway, Disney should have no compaints about crowds being too low in this economy, because it seems that everyone in the Southeast is there for the past week. I know it is spring break for some, but it has been really crowded. Let's hope it clears up in the next month so I can enjoy my trip planned for the Flower and Garden Fesival at Epcot.

Thelazer

Yea, it's kinda odd to keep hearing about cast members being layed off and cutbacks all around. Then to walk outside and realize just how freaking packed the place is right now.

dandaman

Vacation week for all Ontario schools as well, and it seems that half the province migrates to warmer climes for the time being every year. I know of 6 people myself who are currently at a Disney resort...

fosse76

Yea, it's kinda odd to keep hearing about cast members being layed off and cutbacks all around. Then to walk outside and realize just how freaking packed the place is right now.

Gate admission isn't what parks rely on for their income. In-park spending is a huge percentage of their income. With all the promotions Disney has it isn't surprising that the parks are crowded. However, that doesn't mean much financially. I've attended many a Broadway show where there wasn't an empty seat, yet the show lost money...because the seats were comped. While Disney doesn't comp admission to anywhere near that level of capacity, gate admission isn't as big a source of income as you'd like to believe...particularly with the birthday promotion they have going on.

disneydata

The Magic Kingdom staff was expecting an average attendance day in the 35K-38K range, but were caught off guard by attendance in the 52K-55K range. We were there today, and the place was packed. 90 minute waits for Thunder, 70 minute waits for Splash, 100 minute waits for Space Mountain at 6:40 PM!

My understanding is that the Southeast is on school vacation this week, and my guess is that a lot of these trips were planned last minute, as placed like Alabama, Mississippi, etc are within driving distance to make a last minute trip a bit more feasible.

I'd obviously like a light day tomorrow for my trip, but if this trend continues, Disney isn't going to have much of an excuse for not having a major attraction under construction at present. Can anyone recall the last time they haven't had a D/E-ticket attraction under construction?
MK was not expecting 35-38K on the 16th. The estimate was substantially higher than that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom