Huge Crowds at the Magic Kingdom 3/16

happymom52003

I thought mid march was always crowded since so many schools and colleges have spring break this week. There are many, many school districts and colleges across the country that have their spring break this week. :shrug:

hokielutz

I'd chalk it up to nothing more than spring break, and the occasional tour-group invasion. Isn't that what March and most of April are about?? College and grade-school vacations?

lindsey206

texas

The majority of the state of texas is on spring break right now so of course it's crowded. Hopefully, it won't be as crowded in April when we go.

Uncle Lupe

Gate admission isn't what parks rely on for their income. In-park spending is a huge percentage of their income. With all the promotions Disney has it isn't surprising that the parks are crowded. However, that doesn't mean much financially. I've attended many a Broadway show where there wasn't an empty seat, yet the show lost money...because the seats were comped. While Disney doesn't comp admission to anywhere near that level of capacity, gate admission isn't as big a source of income as you'd like to believe...particularly with the birthday promotion they have going on.

I agree, I don't think the birthday promotion is putting a big dent in their wallets. You are still going to spend money once you walk in the door.
The 7 day tickets for the price of 4 I can get that all year long or 5 for the price of 3. Not because of the public promotions. I can't get the rooms for that but if giving me reduced price tickets as an incentive for a 7 day vacation works. Then they would make it up in food, hotel and merchandise costs.

xsupaxmanxsfnex

The Magic Kingdom staff was expecting an average attendance day in the 35K-38K range, but were caught off guard by attendance in the 52K-55K range. We were there today, and the place was packed. 90 minute waits for Thunder, 70 minute waits for Splash, 100 minute waits for Space Mountain at 6:40 PM!

My understanding is that the Southeast is on school vacation this week, and my guess is that a lot of these trips were planned last minute, as placed like Alabama, Mississippi, etc are within driving distance to make a last minute trip a bit more feasible.

Sounds like everyday of my trip in August. :rolleyes:
My school's spring break up here in Southern Ohio is this week. Wish I was in The World.

Dayma

I am not sure why people are suprised since people are having early spring breaks. I know by us they seem to be a week early.

pax_65

Can anyone recall the last time they haven't had a D/E-ticket attraction under construction?

There have definitely been times in the past 10 years where no new major attractions were being constructed. At those times, there was often a major attraction undergoing a major rehab/update, as there is right now with Space Mountain.

I want to see new attractions as much as the next guy (actually probably more) but I can't blame Disney for keeping spending under control in this economy.

I'm glad to hear Disney is having success bringing people to the parks... hopefully they're getting them to spend a few $$$ too.

jt04

Who would have thought last December that they would be adding hours and parades in March?

Any doom and gloomers care to explain your dire predictions of massive layoffs and park closures? :shrug:

Orlando Slant-and-all ?

Kevin Y. ?

74?

Enigma......oh yeah.........nevermind that one. :lookaroun

krankenstein

Hey guys, I'm sitting in TL, waiting on my FP for space to become useable. The crowds have indeed continued today. Hours were again extended at MK, and crowds are HUGE!!!

elisatonks

MK doesn't have the smallest capacity, DHS does. EPCOT has the highest capacity and MK and AK are in the middle but can't remember which way round.

SirGoofy

I want to see new attractions as much as the next guy (actually probably more) but I can't blame Disney for keeping spending under control in this economy.

Unfortunately, this is the time to spend/build. Materials are cheap, and people need jobs.

Man I feel like I've said that way too much lately.

WDW1974

Who would have thought last December that they would be adding hours and parades in March?

Any doom and gloomers care to explain your dire predictions of massive layoffs and park closures? :shrug:

Orlando Slant-and-all ?

Kevin Y. ?

74?

Enigma......oh yeah.........nevermind that one. :lookaroun

First of all, the cuts to hours and entertainment were kneejerk and didn't factor in all of the Buy 4, Get 3 free deal and all the folks booking at last minute.

Second, NO ONE predicted park closures. No one. Not the O-Sentinel. Not Kevin Yee. Not myself. And (I believe) not even the dude who isn't here to defend himself.

It was just stated that Disney had a plan to close parks if things got really bad. Thankfully, they haven't. But it doesn't change the facts. They did/do.

As to layoffs, they've been happening. Just because you don't read about them doesn't mean they aren't. 80% of WDW's research department was axed last week ... real people who needed those jobs don't have them ... marketing and DVC have also both lost people. And even some execs have been nudged out (albeit with their 'buyouts').

I know one resort operation had some bigwigs in this week 'looking at where we can trim.'

Gee, WDW is getting busy during spring break ... what a shock. Of course, as we all know, staff reductions and capacity reductions and FastPass can all make a park look busier than it is (not saying that's the case here because I don't know what the numbers have been the past week).

Guest spend is what matters and those numbers haven't been good. They may actually improve this month because young people tend to toss money around on spring break ... we'll see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom