How would you feel if Disney partnered up with EA and Nintendo to give some of their IPs some exposure at WDW?

Cmdr_Crimson

It makes me wonder just how much tamer future Deadpool movies will be, because even though Disney has said they weren't going to stop them being R rated, they may still tone them down.
Well, they made that PG13 version of the film. So, you can kind of see where it's going..

Raineman

If any tech company gets involved with Disney, it would most likely be Apple-there are too many connections between Disney and Apple to be a coincidence if Apple becomes a player within the Disney theme park division. Steve Jobs was a founder of Pixar, whom Disney owns now, Bob Iger is still on Apple's board of directors, Apple references/products have been in many Disney movies in the past two decades, and it has been rumoured that Apple wants a streaming service similar to the new Disney +. There have even been rumours that Apple is interested in buying Disney, although nothing has been confirmed.

Heppenheimer

It's probably been 15 years or more since I've played any video game more complicated than a card game, so I'm really out of the loop on the subject. But perhaps someone could explain to me why EA is so hated? Last I knew of them, they made sports games that were more realistic than fun.

It seems to me that the closest thing to a video game tie-in we are most likely to see at a Disney park is from an IP that they already own- Wreck-It-Ralph. I wouldn't mind seeing the Tomorrowland Speedway (an oxymoron if there ever was one at Disney World) replaced with the Tomorrowland Sugar Rush Experience.

Shouldigo12

It's probably been 15 years or more since I've played any video game more complicated than a card game, so I'm really out of the loop on the subject. But perhaps someone could explain to me why EA is so hated? Last I knew of them, they made sports games that were more realistic than fun.

It seems to me that the closest thing to a video game tie-in we are most likely to see at a Disney park is from an IP that they already own- Wreck-It-Ralph. I wouldn't mind seeing the Tomorrowland Speedway (an oxymoron if there ever was one at Disney World) replaced with the Tomorrowland Sugar Rush Experience.
I'm not super knowledgeable about thier history, but from my understanding they tend to take over beloved companies and game franchises and just...trash them. The games are often buggy, incomplete messes filled with microtransactions (things you have to spend extra, real money on ingame after you buy the game itself). Sims 4, one of the franchises they took over and one I used to love, had an infamous list of over 100 features they removed from the games that past installments had.

thomas998

Well, they made that PG13 version of the film. So, you can kind of see where it's going..
Yep... It would not surprised me at all if they ended up being turned into PG13 movies from the start in the future. Disney just doesn't seem to be capable of embracing adult audience entertainment with trying to tone it down to point of silliness.

Cmdr_Crimson

Yep... It would not surprised me at all if they ended up being turned into PG13 movies from the start in the future. Disney just doesn't seem to be capable of embracing adult audience entertainment with trying to tone it down to point of silliness.

That's why Touchstone Pictures was created to have the darker and R rated films under Disney..

aliceismad

I don’t think Mass Effect has a long enough life span or fanbase to warrant a ride. Gamers are a niche audience. A Nintendo world works because Mario is a household name.

If Disney were going to make a game-based attraction, I’d prefer Kingdom Hearts.

thomas998

That's why Touchstone Pictures was created to have the darker and R rated films under Disney..
Of course that plan didn't last long... and then Touchstone was churning out those darker adult movies like Gnomeo and Juliet or Wild Hogs... It was a good plan but Disney couldn't seem to stick with it. I think the plan lasted about 4 years before they used it for that adult classic Earnest Saves Christmas.

Paper straw fan

Even as a still active gamer I don’t quite get the EA hate, but I’d say for one they have at least had a hand in crippling and then shelving the Mass Effect games that, while not as well known as Super Mario or Madden, the fans it did/does have are extremely passionate. Their stranglehold on pro sports franchises (negotiating exclusive contracts for certain sports where no competitor could even make an NFL game) then they start to put out rather lackluster games of that sport. They’ve been named the most hated company in the US- period, which, while funny is a bit extreme.

Also agree on the Sugar Rush Speedway, although I’d want a complete redo of the track and a move to electric cars so it doesn’t smell like the Holland Tunnel.

CmdrShepN7

Original Poster
While I think video games could be a cool tie-in in a theme park, I'm not sure how well they would work at Disney. I'm usually the last to say something is "out of theme", but I can't see this working. Not at Disney, anyway. As for least likely to be brought to the parks, I'm going with Saint's Row.

Saints Row lol Elon Musk loves that game!

And Mass Effect 2 is Freddie Prinze Jr's second favorite video game! 10:33

Can't you believe the Scooby Doo guy played a space marine, fantasy warrior, and Jedi?
https://kotaku.com/freddie-prinze-jr-moves-from-mass-effect-to-dragon-age-1593858296

Wow I never thought this thread would get any replies. I thought this board would be full of middle aged people who's idea of a video game is pong.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Wow I never thought this thread would get any replies. I thought this board would be full of middle aged people who's idea of a video game is pong.

Last edited:

aliceismad

Most middle aged people now grew up with original Nintendo, etc. (Or at least their kids did, depending on what you consider middle age.) The first Mario came out 36 years ago. :)

Honestly for a while I thought Halo could be a ride at Universal or something, but the video game world moves so fast. Any ride would have to be based on a long-term well known franchise so it's not deemed old before it's even new.

I'd love to see something Final Fantasy, but that's dating me, isn't it?

CmdrShepN7

Original Poster
Most middle aged people now grew up with original Nintendo, etc. (Or at least their kids did, depending on what you consider middle age.) The first Mario came out 36 years ago. :)

Honestly for a while I thought Halo could be a ride at Universal or something, but the video game world moves so fast. Any ride would have to be based on a long-term well known franchise so it's not deemed old before it's even new.

I'd love to see something Final Fantasy, but that's dating me, isn't it?

You are going to kill me for saying this but I loved FFIX the most! It is the most fairy tale like FF! Although I will admit I loved FFVII!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom