How would you feel if Disney partnered up with EA and Nintendo to give some of their IPs some exposure at WDW?

Paper straw fan

Saints Row lol Elon Musk loves that game!

And Mass Effect 2 is Freddie Prinze Jr's second favorite video game! 10:33

Can't you believe the Scooby Doo guy played a space marine, fantasy warrior, and Jedi?
https://kotaku.com/freddie-prinze-jr-moves-from-mass-effect-to-dragon-age-1593858296

Wow I never thought this thread would get any replies. I thought this board would be full of middle aged people who's idea of a video game is pong.

I LOVE Mass Effect, especially 2- I bought 2 on a whim for $3 about a year after 3 released, and even with no backstory just enjoyed every moment. After that I bought 1 and played thru, and around that time my wife bought me 3 for about $8. (Which meant buying 1, years after it came out, was my most expensive purchase of the 3) but I decided I needed to play thru 2 again with my Shep from 1, so did that and then proceeded to 3. Lot of great memories, and even during one of my podcasts, my interviewees let slip their fandom and we went on a 10 minute tangent about Tali and Liara and the rest.

I wonder if the ride at six flags is still there. I’d like to see that at least once if so.

I’ll be gaming till I die hopefully. Maybe by then I’ll be too old to want to use the 42 button hologram controller on the PS11 and I’ll go back to my PS4 emulator, but I’ll be playing.

wdwfan4ver

Even as a still active gamer I don’t quite get the EA hate, but I’d say for one they have at least had a hand in crippling and then shelving the Mass Effect games that, while not as well known as Super Mario or Madden, the fans it did/does have are extremely passionate. Their stranglehold on pro sports franchises (negotiating exclusive contracts for certain sports where no competitor could even make an NFL game) then they start to put out rather lackluster games of that sport. They’ve been named the most hated company in the US- period, which, while funny is a bit extreme.
I am a oldtimer in playing video games. Anyone who gets an Intellivision ii for Christmas like me is an oldertimer in video game playing sense. I am more of a retro gamer, but I do own a Nintendo Switch.

I loved some of the stuff from EA from the 1990s like the strike series, and Mutant League Football.

It is more than the strangle hold on pro Sports Franchises. Ea has been to buy developers and close them down, or do hostile takeovers of a company. They got a pretty bad reputation treating employees, customer service, and DLC including loot boxes.

Paper straw fan

I play a lot of the classic games on my Switch, and I’ve still got an old NES hooked up to a CRT television I refuse to let my wife throw out! But I’m kind of on the extreme end. At some point I’m trying to get a retro system made from one of those Raspberry Pi machines- and there would definitely be some Mutant League being played on it

Jimmy Thick

I really don't see any video game IP worthy of Disney developing into an attraction that the public will just have to go on.

Kingdom Hearts comes to mind but the last game was pretty, um bad, to be honest. I don't know if it has the drawing power it once did when every one was waiting for KH 3.

The Final Fantasy series would probably be a huge attraction in Japan, not so much in the states.

World of Warcraft would have been a great choice 5 years ago, now though the game is in the jumping the shark phase.

Grand Theft Auto would be a great attraction to develop and a huge international hit, but its not really a Disney kind of theme.

Mass Effect no.

Dragon Age no.

Any popular first person shooter series? Afraid not.

Nope, don't think its going to happen.

Speaking of EA, think I'm going to boot up Battlefront 2, the game is a masterpiece.

CmdrShepN7

Original Poster
As cool as it might seem, Disney would never touch anything with "themes such as war, terrorism, political backstabbing, AI rebellions, etc." - well, maybe the last one...

Doesn't Star Wars have all those? I remember the Clone Wars being very political and all of it is now on Disney+.

Surferboy567

I feel obligated to say two words...since my profile picture basically requires me to say it.

KINGDOM HEARTS!

Also at Disneyland’s Oggie Boogie Bash last year Donald & Goofy in their KH outfits had a massive line (saw pictures online wasn’t there).

Cmdr_Crimson

I feel obligated to say two words...since my profile picture basically requires me to say it.

KINGDOM HEARTS!

Also at Disneyland’s Oggie Boogie Bash last year Donald & Goofy in their KH outfits had a massive line (saw pictures online wasn’t there).
Pfft...I saw Sora in 2004 during MNSSHP...
d28b0uv-d879d625-cace-42d2-ad42-be751becd292.jpg

If anything they Need to bring out King Mickey..
3da10e7154839ba60c45a454f7cb0d7d.jpg

Last edited:

erasure fan1

A kingdom hearts attraction is the most logical video game franchise to come to a Disney park. While I don't see Disney doing anything related to video games anytime soon. I could see them putting a kingdom Hearts attraction in the Japan pavilion, as an answer, if the Nintendo land is crazy successful. All I know is that Disney needs to stay as far away from EA once the star wars contract is up if they ever decide to do something.

Cmdr_Crimson

A kingdom hearts attraction is the most logical video game franchise to come to a Disney park. While I don't see Disney doing anything related to video games anytime soon. I could see them putting a kingdom Hearts attraction in the Japan pavilion, as an answer, if the Nintendo land is crazy successful. All I know is that Disney needs to stay as far away from EA once the star wars contract is up if they ever decide to do something.
Problem is....Many people don't know it and explaining it is just going to make it more confusing for them..

Surferboy567

Pfft...I saw Sora in 2004 during MNSSHP...
d28b0uv-d879d625-cace-42d2-ad42-be751becd292.jpg

If anything they Need to bring out King Mickey..
3da10e7154839ba60c45a454f7cb0d7d.jpg

I’m super familiar with that...thing that resembles Sora. Creepy character face, funny enough I believe that was used around when Chain of Memories came out in 2004. King Mickey would be a super cool character to bring out!

As for the plot of KH, it’s really not that bad...if you pay attention. Sure, it’s SUPER convoluted (has some obvious issues in plot) but that is kind of the unspoken charm of it hard to explain.

The only issue I can see with it being an attraction is the licensing nightmare that would result from it. Sora and Co ARE Disney characters. As the characters themselves are owned by Disney created by Nomura and Square Enix. Disney owns the characters themselves but Square is allowed to use them (A lot of the fine detail isn’t known). Disney of course, is super particular on how it allows it’s characters to be used, and of course they have to go though Nomura for his blessing (which I’m sure he would be fine giving). Up until recently Disney never really acknowledged Kingdom Hearts existence but when KH3 came out everything changed.

I would love to see something Kingdom Hearts make it’s way to the parks. I’m just curious how you go about implementing it. Do you use the OG characters and use OG worlds? Or do you use only Disney worlds and make a gummi ship ride and do it like that. Their are so many possibilities.

EDIT: Maybe the rumored Disney + show can help expose more people to Kingdom Hearts. Leading to this becoming more possible.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

Problem is....Many people don't know it and explaining it is just going to make it more confusing for them..
Totally agree. That's why I said I doubt they do anything. The only ride I can see them do, that most people would recognize, is Sonic the hedgehog. You could do an awesome indoor coaster/dark ride through greenhill zone and maybe a couple others. Tons of video game IPs would make awesome rides. Unfortunately 99% of them will be lost on the average park guest.

Cmdr_Crimson

Totally agree. That's why I said I doubt they do anything. The only ride I can see them do, that most people would recognize, is Sonic the hedgehog. You could do an awesome indoor coaster/dark ride through greenhill zone and maybe a couple others. Tons of video game IPs would make awesome rides. Unfortunately 99% of them will be lost on the average park guest.
Oh, if they could have Dave & Bustered Disneyquest and rethemed it to Game Central Station from Wreck-It-Ralph..It could have stayed around for a few more years and have upgraded so many attractions..Seeing Cyberspace Mountain be the internet portal attraction is a no brainer..
giphy.gif

Matt_Black

Outside of Square-Enix, the only game company I see that could "fit" would be Capcom. Some very iconic characters, plus there's all those Marvel vs. Capcom games, and Capcom also made the BEST video game based on an animated TV series (woo-ooo!).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom