How Will Disneyland End, In Your Opinion?

Screamface

Disney parks will become too expensive for the ordinary person, but they will not be worth the money for those that can afford them. Patronage will go way down as prices skyrocket because the uber-wealthy don't want to wait 90 minutes in line for a ride in a salt mine.

Disney will pivot to make lower-tier Disney parks for the plebs. Where they will intentionally hold back on the quality to keep the main parks as a Premium experience. This will unintentionally start to be a more attractive prospect. As new parks starting from scratch with newer technology and building on everything learnt over the decades will end up making parks better than the originals. The rich clientele will eventually start abandoning the premium parks as they are old and outdated.

Disneyland will just be a sad outdated historic monument and transition into a theme park / museum.

Phroobar

What will happen is Disney gets mismanaged and broken up by corporate raiders. The parks will be sold off to Cedar Fair or Six Flags where a coaster will circle the Castle.

They came close to that in the 80s.

DrAlice

I can't answer the question any better than others already have. However, it got me thinking about parks that don't exist anymore. Could Disneyland one day end up on some "abandoned theme parks" list? It's hard to imagine Disneyland closing. Then again, it was probably hard for citizens of San Francisco to imagine that Playland would one day just be a bunch of beachfront condos. After all, some form of Playland had existed for almost 100 years before it closed in the early 1970s. As I understand it from family, the last owner/manager was no longer in charge (he may have died - I can't remember) and things went downhill. It was then purchased by a developer, demolished, and condos were built on the site. At least Laffing Sal still exists and is scaring people at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk.

Tamandua

I actually thought about this awhile back and I can see a scenario where Disneyland closes. There are any number of possible paths that could lead to that end, but one thing that came to my mind is a corporate merger or hostile takeover of the Walt Disney Company. When Elon Musk was trying to buy Twitter earlier this year, it occurred to me that at the time his net worth was more than the entire Disney Company's market cap. In theory, Elon Musk could have leveraged his wealth to buy it if he wanted to... So it's within the realm of possibility that some person or organization makes a bid and takes over the company from the outside someday. If that ever happens, perhaps the new management will look at the cost of doing business in California and just decide that it's not worth it. They could possibly move some attractions to other places and liquidate a lot of pieces, but it would be a large write off (sort of like canceling $100 million movies that are already finished).

A lot of businesses have moved out of California already. Disneyland can't really be moved, but the company could always open more parks in other places and phase out business in California. The current leadership has been trying to move as many jobs out of the state as possible for some time. The governor kept Disneyland closed for over a year. The regulations in the state are getting more and more impossible to endure. Look at the recent fast food wage bill. If something like that hit theme parks, could Disneyland survive? I actually think Disneyland closing is real possibility in my lifetime. It's not immune to the problems of the rest of the world.

truecoat

Climate change would have to get really bad. It would take a 40-meter rise in sea level to reach Disneyland but on the bright side, the park would be really popular until this as Disney World will already be flooded.

Disneyland 40 m.jpg

Figments Friend

( spits coffee all over the screen )

Dude!

You gotta put - ****Warning! Bob Chapek photo incoming!**** - before posting a image of this guy!
Exspecially a image this big!

( wipes coffee stains off of the screen )

Here I am , relaxing at home this late evening ( midnight...) calmly browsing the Forum and enjoying myself when suddenly and unexpectedly.... BAM!
I'm face to face with a ( nearly ) life sized image of this grinning, jibbering goof!
Egad....!

I need a warning beforehand.
My heart....my blood pressure....A dragon of my age can't take such unexpected surprises with no warning.

😋

-

Figments Friend

Tiana decides her restaurants and salt mine aren't enough and annexes Tom Sawyer Island. Within a month, Frontierland falls. Fantasyland promptly declares war on Tiana's army of co-op food suppliers, and soon trans-land alliances form, led most prominently by Lt. Bek, Jessica Rabbit, and Mr. Toad on one side and Stromboli, Piglet, and the giant hippo from Small World on the other. Buzz Lightyear, who initially forms a nonaggression pact with Tiana, joins the resistance after Tiana - in an act of historical hubris - invades the Autopia region. Mickey Mouse, Indiana Jones, and Abraham Lincoln face criticism for their neutrality.

There are massive casualties on both sides. Piglet's extermination camps are widely condemned as "crimes against humanity." The fortunes of Tiana's army finally reverse when her Autopia offensive stalls and Redd launches an amphibious assault on the beaches of occupied-Pixar Pier. The war finally concludes when, faced with additional firebombing of It's A Small World, the giant hippo surrenders.

Amazingly, the park remains open to guests during this time and actually sees record profits thanks to the expansion of Individual Lightning Lane into restrooms. Disneyland only "ends," so to speak, when Chapek cashes in and sells the park to Rick Caruso, at which time DTD and Disneyland Park become indistinguishable.

This, this right here....reads like the next 'Attraction Backstory' to be cooked up by 'Today's Disney'.

😆

-

KeithVH

Hmmm . . . There's a book series by Simon Hawke (military + time travel). Talks about how the soldiers describe the operation as "Mickey Mouse" but no one knows what that means and the phrase requires high level security clearance. Maybe the whole "missile silo in the castle" isn't just misdirection?

The Colonel

The impending bankruptcy of the US Treasury and resultant world-wide depression, combined with AI putting 3/4 of the workforce out of work, and the Singularity to finish things off.

DLR92

I really don’t see Disneyland ending in my lifetime. Perhaps after that? I don’t know what will the future will hold for Disneyland and Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom